PDA

View Full Version : over heating. help

bmnorm
03-23-2003, 08:07 PM
I have no idea why my car is oveheating.
I have taken out the thermostat, I have fixed the fan that didn't work before. I have flushed out the system & filled it up with new fluid 50% then water. my spedo doesn't work, the only thing that works is the fuel gauge & my temp. can it be that (faulty reading) also my engine's head gasket is blown, I have driven it like this for a while & I have never had problems. I checked the oil to see if maybe it really blew, but the oil is not mixed with the coolant. what can it be. I have no idea what can affect it.
it overheats after a while of just leaving it standing there. I am not sure if it overheats when driven cause I haven't taken it out, cause I have been trying to restore it. help anybody. it's an 87 325 4dr.

Furious
03-23-2003, 10:44 PM
have you checked your water pump? and also check your thermostat housing (is there any coolant in the engine compartment? [should be all burned on and a greenish grey colour]) lastly how is your rad doing? any blockages in the line, the rads usually clog up just inside the coolant housing just at the return (hole is hard to get at, its located on the upper portion)

lastly if your experiencing problems with your gauge pod. get that firstly checked. that is probably your best bet.
hope this helps i dunno what it could be.

bmnorm
03-24-2003, 01:06 AM
yeah I think coolant is getting inside the engine compartment cause when I took it out it was that grey, green color. also I am not sure if my water pump is working. how would I find this out? It takes about 15-20 min for it to start overheating. if that's not it how can I check if there is any blockage in my rad or housing?
thanks

Furious
03-24-2003, 01:53 AM
water pump is kinda hard to check via visual inspection. its located just below the thermostat. you have to take the fan off then the hoses and the thermostat housing to get to it. you spin the bolts off and take it out (there will be lots of coolant gushing out , so if your doing this yourself beware) now check the pump . if its the old plastic propeller type, they have a tendency to fail, check for cracks on the housing and also see if the propeller spins. if not then that would mean your pump is gone. if there is a crack in the housing then you should replace it , or be ready to do it soon.
now you did check the thermostat and you said that it was fine. but are you positive? it could be dying on you, and sticking closed at moments causing the engine to overheat.
for the blockages in the rad. i just noticed that you said you did a flush . and i assume everything went smooth right? so it may not be the rad.
also when you over heat does it instantly go to red and the light goes on? or does it fluxuate and gradually go up and down untill eventually it hits overheat? if it happens that the light goes on, shut your car down immediately , your gonna blow something. when my car did this i only ran maybe an extra kilometer to get off the highway and one problem turned into another (so i assume)....

KIRASIR
03-24-2003, 07:08 AM
How do you know that your head gasket is blown? This is probably the cause of your overheating.

SL

bmnorm
03-24-2003, 03:32 PM
I actually took out my thermostat just to be sure. when I did the flush everything went well I suppose. I couldn't find the drain plug so I would drain it threw a hose at the bottom before it attaches to the rad. I did that a several times, until the water coming out was fairly clear.
It starts to overheat about 20 min after the car has been turned on & it goes there gradually I turn it off after it passes the line before the red. I think I am going to take out the pump to check it out. the odd thing is that the hoses from the top & bottom get hot. but I am not sure if that's just cause it's in the engine compartment & everything gets hot or cause fluid is actually flowing threw it.
but thanks anywas.
I'll post how everything turns out.

KIRASIR
03-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Is your car smoking more than usual from the exhaust? Whitish smoke?
If your head gasket is gone, exhaust gases from the exhaust can get into the cooling system, heat it up and eventually boil the water.

Serge

Originally posted by bmnorm
I actually took out my thermostat just to be sure. when I did the flush everything went well I suppose. I couldn't find the drain plug so I would drain it threw a hose at the bottom before it attaches to the rad. I did that a several times, until the water coming out was fairly clear.
It starts to overheat about 20 min after the car has been turned on & it goes there gradually I turn it off after it passes the line before the red. I think I am going to take out the pump to check it out. the odd thing is that the hoses from the top & bottom get hot. but I am not sure if that's just cause it's in the engine compartment & everything gets hot or cause fluid is actually flowing threw it.
but thanks anywas.
I'll post how everything turns out.

Furious
03-24-2003, 05:31 PM
also youll find coolent in the oil . and vice versa (i think)

bmnorm
03-24-2003, 06:19 PM
damn, how much would it cost to change my head gasket. any cheap places lol. there is more smoke coming out of my muffler, it even looks more thick. but the oil & coolant is not mixing... I think I am going to have to take it to a mechanic. do they charge alot for this kind of repair or should I just get a new engine. upgrade?

Furious
03-24-2003, 08:29 PM
ya head gaskets and basically every engine repair is quite expensive.

bmnorm
03-24-2003, 08:41 PM
lol, I was just outside with my dad. I we actually he fixed the problem. the thing is that sometime last year I had changed the alternator belt & I guess that I didn't titten it properly cause it was a bit loose, so we did & left it on for a while & nothing. it didn't pass the middle. lol. this is so funny. I am a bit knew to this repair stuff. thanks for all your input.
finally after changing the discs & break pads. distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, shocks, sunroof, trunk, fenders, gas filter, bearing & hub. some light bulbs I can finally take it to the body shop for paint, then slam it. then save some more $ for body kit. then I should be good to go. but I should start driving the car after paint & eibach or b&G springs.

Furious
03-24-2003, 08:52 PM
so it wasnt overheating? you had an electrical problem? hehehehe.. glad you saved some money and fixed it yourself. very cool.

bmnorm
03-25-2003, 12:30 AM
I think since the alternator belt is hooked up to the fan & the pump is behind the fan then somehow the belt running better it made the fan run faster & smother. also the pump that is hooked up to the same gear or whatever you call it. so therefore the pump was not turnning as quick as it should of been & know it is. in the end whatever man. as long as I saved my self some dough. hehe. but this repair stuff gives you a headeachs. lol