PDA

View Full Version : Smiley installation, need help

murcielago54
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi,

few weeks ago i've found a set of smiley for a decent price. i've ordered the Missing connector from BMW and i've started assembly.

i've used the technique outline on this website: http://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_eurolight.php

it's pretty simple you don't need to be a brain surgeon to do that.

However, while the driver side was very easy, i'm having a few problems with the passenger side

i've managed to connect the high beam and the low beam but i'm having problems with the city light: on the driver side, i've simply took the sidemarker bulb and i've pluged it on the Smiley. It works well.

on the passenger side however, the complete wiring for the side marker is missing.

here's my question: i've got three wires that goes to my flasher (white, blue, Brown(ground)) would it be possible to plug my city light on one of them and get electricity?

thank you for your help

emdog16
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130524

Check the bently it is your friend.

everlast
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't know off hand, but a quick check of the electrical diagram should reveal the answer. What year is your car?

Why is the marking wiring missing? Is there marker missing too? (Euro trim?)

If you see 12V on one of the lines when the lights are switched on, that should do fine for the city light.. as long as that's what the driver side does.

??

Ceeker
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
it probably rotted off.. lol. remove the bumper and this should expose your side marker light wiring. then trace it back. add some extra wiring and connectors and plug and all set. not uncommon for it to be gone if neglected.

murcielago54
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Thank you everlast,

The car is a 1989. i dont have euro trim but somehow the wire is not there... maybe it was removed by the PO, i have no idea and i've searched for it.

What would be the best solution IMO is, as you said, simply hook up to one of the lines when the Headlight are switched on. Now, i've got three wires that goes to my bumper flasher. One act as a city light (when headlight is switched ON, the flasher are ON but not flashing. ). he second one does the flashing and the third one is a ground.

so i'll try to figure out which one is which with the Bentley manual(thanks guys, i only have the Haynes and it really sucks for electrical diagram) and i'll try to plug the city light on that

just a little more question: once i find a 12V wire, can i ground to pretty much any other ground (like any brown wire). i know it seems like a stupid question but, i am really useless in electricity and i'm tryin' to learn a bit more.

thanks

InfiniteDice
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I'd go from the side markers, that way you can get city lights without the headlights. I think I'm gonna pop some red or blue in mine, when the high's come on it'll drown out the colour anyways.

murcielago54
03-09-2010, 12:31 AM
it probably rotted off.. lol. remove the bumper and this should expose your side marker light wiring. then trace it back. add some extra wiring and connectors and plug and all set. not uncommon for it to be gone if neglected.

yeah i thought the same thing... and then, i removed the bumper aud i still could'nt find anything...:confused:

everlast
03-09-2010, 01:25 AM
How about running from the parking lamp light.. i think that's what you're saying you'd want the city lights on for right? So just grab 12V+ from the wire at the turn signal that is hot when the light switch is part way out (or fully out for that matter).

And yes, any ground will do just fine.

You can get REALLY good electrical diagrams, year by year, from here:

http://pdftown.com/PDF-BMW-E30-1983-1992-Electronic-Troubleshooting-Manual.html

Click the "download" link and the pass is pdftown.com

I've used the one for the '88 so many times, really saved my ass.

murcielago54
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks, that pretty much solved my problem.

i'll go buy some more connectors and i'll make a few picture tonight

Thanks!*th-up*

everlast
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
*th-up*

noid
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Are you Phils friend (mcdonalds plaza)? If so you bought the lights off me. Pictures of car?

murcielago54
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
nah i bought the light of Ebay.co.uk,

i'll post some picture later

noid
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
In which case, I hope they arent UK euro's; because the light pattern will be on the wrong side.

everlast
03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Could you just switch the low beams?

noid
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Could you just switch the low beams?

No, because one lowbeam shines straight and the other to the side of the other, if you would switch them then you would have the one that shines sideways shining in the opposite direction of the other.

murcielago54
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Well i've tried them tonight and i haven't noticed that. They work very well

i don't think they are UK beams... and if they are, i'm pretty sure you can correct that pattern with the ajustment bolts...

noid
03-11-2010, 01:25 AM
You may not notice (because it appears to shine straight) but basicly the jist of it is:

"Depending on the specific European area, your pattern will slide upwards on the right or left hand side to light up street signs and pedestrians. Left hand drive E-Code lamps will beam a pattern up to the right."

http://72.215.196.56/hummers/headlights/Hella_ecode_visionplus.htm

JINT
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
i'm prolly blind or someshit, but i don't see the difference in the lights