PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes for high milers

Dr. Flyview
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Just wanna get your opinion on something.

341 000km: Buy Benz
343 500km: oil change with semi-synthetic lubramoly high mileage blend $70
351 500km: thinking it's time to change the oil again

What should I go with? Conventional oil would cost me what, $35 and I'd have to do every 5k. I went with the semi-synthetic so I could do it every 10k but now I'm not so sure...

Thoughts?

Car in question: 1988 MB 190E 2.3

W2WDETAILING
02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Just wanna get your opinion on something.

341 000km: Buy Benz
343 500km: oil change with semi-synthetic lubramoly high mileage blend $70
351 500km: thinking it's time to change the oil again

What should I go with? Conventional oil would cost me what, $35 and I'd have to do every 5k. I went with the semi-synthetic so I could do it every 10k but now I'm not so sure...

Thoughts?

Car in question: 1988 MB 190E 2.3

i would stick with the lubramoly semi synthetic if it cost the same you get the same ammount of km... how does your oil look? dirty as hell?

simplycars
02-11-2010, 01:02 PM
to be honest with you, that car probably had regular oil poured into it for the last 5 years, so regular castrol gtx would be the choice and replace it every 5-6k

MiroE36
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm catching up to your mileage :D

If you drive the car like a normal human being, just get the semi and change it every 10K, you'll be fine, I would recommend checking the condition of the oil to see how dirty it is, if it's dirty, get it changed sooner, if its still good, keep on driving.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
only real way to know is to do a oil analysis

T.Dot_E30
02-11-2010, 05:17 PM
dino oil, that car doesn't deserve synthetic, which wasn't even mainstream back when the car was built.

Dr. Flyview
02-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Where can I do that and what does it check for?

The semi-synthetic "made for high mileage" oil I put in looks really weird. It's gray/silver and opaque when you put it in.

Steve30
02-11-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Where can I do that and what does it check for?

The semi-synthetic "made for high mileage" oil I put in looks really weird. It's gray/silver and opaque when you put it in.

dble Trouble
02-11-2010, 07:18 PM

honestly, you'd do that to a car that's not even worth a 1G?

Mr. Lube $34.95=tax in and out 10 minutes.

richie_s999
02-11-2010, 10:03 PM
honestly, you'd do that to a car that's not even worth a 1G?

Mr. Lube $34.95=tax in and out 10 minutes.

no they will rape extra over that for extra oil and "special" filter charge

propr'one
02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Use conventional oil with a litre of lucas.

richie_s999
02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
So I am curious to who sold you a semi syn oil change and told you it was good for 10000km??

Dr. Flyview
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Precision Motors

aaron320i
02-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Im curious, who actually believes bmw when they say 25 000 on synthetic? Even full synthetic should be changed every 7000. Oil begins to naturally deteriorate at around 3-4 months in your car.

T.Dot_E30
02-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Im curious, who actually believes bmw when they say 25 000 on synthetic? Even full synthetic should be changed every 7000. Oil begins to naturally deteriorate at around 3-4 months in your car.

No it's actually been proven, guys have sent out oil for analyst, and the itegrity of the oil is still there after 10k.

The filter on the other hand they recommend changing.

dble Trouble
02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
no they will rape extra over that for extra oil and "special" filter charge

You just have to learn how to say no. When ever I've taken my crappy old Explorer in, they try, but I just give the guy a whatever look and he knows.

dble Trouble
02-12-2010, 08:41 AM
No it's actually been proven, guys have sent out oil for analyst, and the itegrity of the oil is still there after 10k.

The filter on the other hand they recommend changing.

Agreed, but would you have a shower and then put on dirty underwear??? LOL.

dmytro
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Whaaat it costs me $12 with filter to change my oil on my E30.

Wal-Mart (4L jug GTX 10W30) I do add another half a liter to top it up - 8$ (not on sale $10) and around $4 for FARM filter.

I change it whenever the car doesn't feel alive ...like every 2-3 month not by KM. I think its worth changing conventional oil more frequently than expensive synthetic after 10K *no-no*

Bullet Ride
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM

This.

It's just that for almost everyone that's not a practical thing to have to do to figure out whether it's time to change the oil. So people err heavily on the safe side with their oil change intervals. The oil companies love the fact that we live by the 5000km rule.

Dr. Flyview
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
This puppy takes something like 5.1L. Yea I may just do a conventional oil change myself...

NOTORIOUS VR
02-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Even full synthetic should be changed every 7000.

Who told you this? Because it's certainly NOT true.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-12-2010, 02:57 PM
This.

It's just that for almost everyone that's not a practical thing to have to do to figure out whether it's time to change the oil. So people err heavily on the safe side with their oil change intervals. The oil companies love the fact that we live by the 5000km rule.

Honestly, if you're doing oil changes yourself it doesn't take much to get the free kit from blackstone, and get a sample of your used oil.

Then again, if you really don't care about the car (much or at all)... a decent dyno oil like Castrol GTX + regular 5-6.5k oil changes for normal duty is more then good enough. Which seems to be the case here.

BigD
02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I change mine every 5k with synthetic. The oil may still be good but the additives that protect your engines are just as important. I may be able to go longer but I don't really care. Oil changes are cheap (incl synthetic), engine rebuilds aren't.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I change mine every 5k with synthetic. The oil may still be good but the additives that protect your engines are just as important. I may be able to go longer but I don't really care. Oil changes are cheap (incl synthetic), engine rebuilds aren't.

But why 5k? What is making you change it @ 5k and not at 1,2 or 3k instead?

A good synthetic oil is good for @ least 8k even under hard driving conditions. A high quality synthetic oil will have the proper additive pack for your application and it will last. That's why we have Synth. oil.

Anyway... If people want to waste their money by doing oil changes more often then really needed that their prerogative, but making excuses for it doesn't really make any sense.

Get an oil test done, and you will see what YOUR engine needs/wants oil change wise with a certain oil you use. Otherwise you're just guessing and pissing away money for no reason what so ever.

BigD
02-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Because a while back an oil guy (don't remember who anymore, I think I was talking to an Amsoil engineer at a trade show) told me that the additives in oils start to really fall off after 5k. In the track car I change the oil far more frequently. Seriously, in my 7L capacity truck, oil + paying Toyota for labor because I'm lazy, costs like 80 bucks. Even if I'm wrong, is it THAT much to spend every 5k kms?

spoony_prelude
02-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Im sorry Dr.Flyview, but why waste so much money on a winter beater with 350k? Like the money your spending on this beater could be used on your true passion...your summer car!

Like an example from me, I bought a 99 civic for 3800. all ive done were 2 oil changes, filters were free as i have a friend working at a honda. oil came to 40bucks at most for both oil changes. Other then that I havent spent a penny on the car, no cd player upgrade, or fancy oil changes... simply because it's just a beater/dd! Im sure your e36 isnt perfect, so y not use the money ur wasteing on ur benz and use it to perfect your e36?

Just an idea, as to me, money is to hard to make to just blow on useless stuff.

Jay

Dr. Flyview
02-12-2010, 11:55 PM
^^ Well, I thought it would be a good idea to treat it with the semi-synthetic for its first oil change. That, and I figured I could drive it twice as far, so really it cost the same as 2 regular dyno oil changes.

I also drive this car A LOT so I can't have it die on me.

propr'one
02-13-2010, 03:38 AM
just do regular oil changes man, dino oil is fine. I'd spend my money on a high-mileage additive before i spent it on synth. My m20 consumes enough oil its wasteful to use synth, plus, it consumes less with lucas.

lvan
02-13-2010, 08:17 AM
That car will only die when you drain it all and drive with no oil in it. You would be amazed to see what kind of abuse those E190 take in my hometown.

Listen to Portugese dude. Spend your cash on the BMW so some kid can not lowball when you sell it. That is if you decide to sell it.

Bullet Ride
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Because a while back an oil guy (don't remember who anymore, I think I was talking to an Amsoil engineer at a trade show) told me that the additives in oils start to really fall off after 5k. In the track car I change the oil far more frequently.

That's why the new cars are nice in that they calculate your oil life based on your driving habits but still have a max limit. However that service interval is usually 15000-20000 km with average driving habits. I'd like to see the analysis results on some of that oil.

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 09:23 AM
another what oil to pour in. Just read what the manual says and pour that in. Only extra thing id recommend is adding some lucas in winter (high mileage cars). As far as i kno oil needs to be changed according to its viscosity and not cars mileage. I work at a garage part time. Changed oil on cars just coz the owner was worried due to mileage. The oil in most cases were perfectly fine.

another thing, if the idea is to prolong the life of the engine, its not a good idea to keep switching oils every oil change. Ex first change regular, next high mileage, next fully synthetic etc etc. Stick to one type. If its regular just go with regular. If its synthetic just go with synthetic.

The way oil is changed here, a good proportion of old oil is still inside. So its a good idea to stick to wutever went in earlier!

I dont know but I think an oil flush is quite effective especially if you change your oil once or twice a year.

oil flush: drain, fill up oil, run engine for 20mins, drain, fill up.

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Agreed, but would you have a shower and then put on dirty underwear??? LOL.

LOL just a correction...metaphorically the shower would be the oil change anf the filter would be the underwear :P

So i gess it shud be more like would you not shower and just change your underwear haha Narsty *no-no*

NOTORIOUS VR
02-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Only extra thing id recommend is adding some lucas in winter (high mileage cars).

Waste of money.

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Waste of money.

Please do give an explanation to why you think it is a waste of money.

I add lucas to high mileage cars because Lucas is extremely dense and sticky. It doesnt flow down to the engine oil pan when the car is sitting around. So on cold days when a car is cranked it wont be dry till the oil pump pumps the oil up to the engine parts.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Please do give an explanation to why you think it is a waste of money.

I add lucas to high mileage cars because Lucas is extremely dense and sticky. It doesnt flow down to the engine oil pan when the car is sitting around. So on cold days when a car is cranked it wont be dry till the oil pump pumps the oil up to the engine parts.

I'm a firm believer in additives like Lucas being a waste of money due to the fact that every quality oil already has everything your engine needs to be protected. regardless of the condition.

There is nothing out there that shows that Lucas actually extends the life of your engine or protects better against wear then say just straight engine oil.

It's all a bunch of beliefs and assumptions like yours. And if you feel the need to spend money on Lucas so be it. But really, you don't need it. If you did, OEM's would be selling it and putting it into their engines from the factory for this 'magical' protection that Lucas and other fairy dust additives are supposed to give you. *th-up*

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
FYI Lucas is not a fairy dust (lol at ur imagination) additive. It is engine oil weighted at i kant rememebr 80w smthn. ie very very low viscosity. you think it hasnt been tested...it has been tested independently by quite a few oil testing companies. http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/apimotoroiltesting.htm being one of them.

As a car gets older, the engine parts are not as tight as they used to be. Thick oil makes a difference. I have seen cases on cars i have fixed where lucas actually helps stop oil leaks from valve gaskets and oil pan gaskets. So on an old high mileage car....its not my assumption. I have seen its effects and that is the only reason i wrote that. It seems you are the one assuming that I am assuming lol.

heres another http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/01_HDOilStabilzr_1_2.pdf

No 1 product used on rebuilt engines (Lucas HeavyDuty). It will tell you why

*th-up*

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Just another thought...the garage i worked in as a parttime/hobby had mechanics working their since before atleast i was born lol. I was skeptical and asked him the exact same thing. Why does he add half a litre of lucas in beat up cars. He showed it to me on this little contraption...its made up of gears...u spin the wheel and it shows you how long it takes avg oil to reach the top compared to a heavier oil. It made sense. COMMON SENSE (not "a bunch of beliefs and assumptions like yours")

NOTORIOUS VR
02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
FYI Lucas is not a fairy dust (lol at ur imagination) additive. It is engine oil weighted at i kant rememebr 80w smthn. ie very very low viscosity. you think it hasnt been tested...it has been tested independently by quite a few oil testing companies. http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/apimotoroiltesting.htm being one of them.

Sorry I do not see any Lucas tests on their site.

As a car gets older, the engine parts are not as tight as they used to be. Thick oil makes a difference. I have seen cases on cars i have fixed where lucas actually helps stop oil leaks from valve gaskets and oil pan gaskets. So on an old high mileage car....its not my assumption. I have seen its effects and that is the only reason i wrote that. It seems you are the one assuming that I am assuming lol.

I'm quite aware on how higher mileage engines wear. And if you think that oil leaks from gaskets SLOWING (not stopping, because that is impossible) because of a thicker weight oil is something new or unusual then maybe you're thinking of this all wrong.

Gaskets that leak mean they need to be replaced. Using a thicker oil will only slow leaks, Lucas additives will NOT prevent old gaskets from leaking. But then again, you might as well just use a 20W50 oil and that would get you the same end result.

In the end, there is nothing that Lucas does that a properly selected oil cannot do BETTER. Hence why you're wasting money.

heres another http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/01_HDOilStabilzr_1_2.pdf

No 1 product used on rebuilt engines (Lucas HeavyDuty). It will tell you why

*th-up*

Sorry that I don't take the companies web site as a valid test... it's called marketing.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Just another thought...the garage i worked in as a parttime/hobby had mechanics working their since before atleast i was born lol. I was skeptical and asked him the exact same thing. Why does he add half a litre of lucas in beat up cars. He showed it to me on this little contraption...its made up of gears...u spin the wheel and it shows you how long it takes avg oil to reach the top compared to a heavier oil. It made sense. COMMON SENSE (not "a bunch of beliefs and assumptions like yours")

you mean the 'contraption' that every reseller has of Lucas products? Just like CT?

ok.. how about this as food for thought....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

What do you think of your Lucas oil additive now?

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
points well made screw Lucas :P NOT! Emphasis on beat up cars. I would never put lucas in my bimmer lol..talking about high mileage beaters. hope your on the same page.

"Using a thicker oil will only slow leaks, Lucas additives will NOT prevent old gaskets from leaking" My bad that is exactly what i was trying to say. Beat up cars...most of the owners did not want to spend the money for new seals. This is Lucas's main use, cheap temporary solution to leaking gaskets. Lucas is thicker than 20w50 so it will slow the leaks more than 20w50. And for your food for thought I dont know where or how old that lucas was because the 100s of beat up cars that have been treated with "Lucas Heavy Duty Engine Oil" to slow leaks were never white in colour like that from some shady garage test. The one used in my garage was thick like honey.

This can go on forever. You can find a million tests for not to use I can for to use. So wutever man.

NOTORIOUS VR
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
points well made screw Lucas :P NOT! Emphasis on beat up cars. I would never put lucas in my bimmer lol..talking about high mileage beaters. hope your on the same page.

Absolutely I'm on the same page. But if you wouldn't use it in your bimmer, why would you use it in another car? You're not giving any solid reasoning behind your choices. If you're that concerned, buy a high mileage oil.

Dammerung
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Absolutely I'm on the same page. But if you wouldn't use it in your bimmer, why would you use it in another car? You're not giving any solid reasoning behind your choices. If you're that concerned, buy a high mileage oil.

I wudnt use it on my bimmer because the engine is fairly new and has no leaks. If it ever did have leaks id fix it. Beater cars its not always worth fixing. So the Lucas makes a good solution to curb the leakage.

neways nough nough peace *rockout*

vladvm
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
picture of my engine with 25,000km oil change Castrol 0W30 on my car with 201k. Don't waste your money.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture.php?albumid=1508&pictureid=7674