PDA

View Full Version : 335i with/without Navigation?

MPackage
02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Ok here is my dilemma I need to know something is Navigation on a 335i really that important? Can it also play DVD movies on it? Is it really useful? I am looking at two 335i (2007) and (2008) one with Navigation and the other without. Note that both are in excellent conditions but I can not decide if I should pay the extra buck for the Navigation that comes with the 335i. Please let me know the Pro’s and Con’s of having a Navigation.

Thanks

Gamite
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
If it's something you're going to keep, then I'd go for navigation, it's not something you can easily swap in should you change your mind later.

MPackage
02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I am planning to keep the car but does the Navigation get used alot in terms of daily driver, is it there just for show or is it used alot? I was talking to a friend of mine he stated how the Navigation on the BMW is not that great or user friendly...

ChrisTO
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if these models have the newer updated iDrive(ie. hard drive based as opposed to DVD)...if it does I would get it! The navigation is very very slick in the latest generation. 3D view of downtown - not just a horizon view but you see the actual buildings. you can also send it info. from Google maps as part of the BMW assist (or whatever they call it) service. so no need to 'type' in the info. in the car. do you it ahead of time and send it to the car.

I'm not sure if it's anything like in the 5er but iDrive controls so much of the car. In the 5er iDrive controls pretty much everything. so by having the iDrive in the 3er do you get added functionality that you wouldn't have access to without iDrive? I would check that out. Maybe there are additional capabilities beyond navi?

I have the earlier version of the Navi (DVD based) and yes it does suck compared to Acura. I would say Acura/Honda probably has the best navi system on the market(made by Pioneer I think?). But having said that I would not get another car without it. Could I live without it? Sure, but would I give it up now....no way.

It's almost like AC...sure you could wind down the windows for those really hot days...sure you can flip open a map...but for those days when you need it...it's great to have!

Having said all that...the portable units does allow for frequent updates and in some cases at no charge. BMW will charge for map updates. I hate the look of those portable units stuck on the windshield...you are driving a premium brand car...don't make it look ghetto. might as well put some stickers on it for added HP. :)

MPackage
02-11-2010, 10:28 AM
It is very tempting to get a 335i with Navigation, but there is a huge price gap between the one with and without. I seen it briefy used by the dealership and he couldn't figure it out lol...Does anyone here have the Navi if so I would like to hear your reviews as well as ChrisTO and Gamite...

Gamite
02-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I suppose it depends on your sense of direction. For people how are constantly needing to go to new places, it's helpful, but if you have a good sense of direction and are usually going to places that you're used to going to, then navi is kinda useless. I hardly use my navi except for when there's traffic and I need to find an alternate route.

ChrisTO
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
if the picture above is the actual car...it's DVD based. so some of those neato features are not there.

aside from navi I would find out if there are additional functions/capabilities that you get by having Navi with the car? those additional features may help you justify the added cost.

looks like i edited my post as you posted yours. take a read through it again.

i found the idrive system not that hard to use...not sure why people complain about it so much. if you have any concept of using a PC you should be fine.

the navigation part is lacking some capability but only because i'm benchmarking it against the acura one. my wife doesn't let me down that an acura has a better navi system than BMW. :) so my review will be more critical as i'm tainted by acura. hard to say what i would think of the system not having known about acura system.

what's the price delta? looks like used models so i would negotiate hard to get it - assuming the rest of the car is options similarly and in similar condition. though the years seem to be different. I don't think navi should be a big part of the price delta...this is used afterall so you are not paying full retail price for the option. if anything it just makes the car easier to sell for them and they can ask probably a few hundred more for it since it's more desirable.

ChrisTO
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
agreed...and this could be said of the dash mounted ones as well.

so similar to my AC analogy. great when you need it.

i wouldn't pay a thousand extra for it. if it's a hundred or so i'd go for it. it's like buying a portable unit but without having to clutter your dashboard.

I suppose it depends on your sense of direction. For people how are constantly needing to go to new places, it's helpful, but if you have a good sense of direction and are usually going to places that you're used to going to, then navi is kinda useless. I hardly use my navi except for when there's traffic and I need to find an alternate route.

chenx15
02-11-2010, 11:21 AM
you really don't need the navi. BMW just advertised 765 garmin as a new dashboard GPS and it's worth 2000 dollars if you buy it from them but it's only 225 in costco

dbworld4k
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
It's a nifty thing to have. Not necessary by any means, but I'd rather have it than not if possible. I like how everything can be controlled via the iDrive and displayed fully on screen, especially with the phone or iPod connected. Makes browsing through the phonebook or playlists a total breeze. If the two cars are identical otherwise (ie. options/specs), I'd opt for the one with navi than the one without for a grand or two more. Then again, I like having some techy crap in my car lol.

What's the price difference between the two cars?

MPackage
02-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey dbworld4k,

Yea its a tough choice but when it comes to price thats when I would say Navi your good but not good enough for my bank account lol

335i 2008 the dealer is asking $38,900
335i 2007 the dealer is asking $33,800

Thats a whopping $5,100 difference to pay for an extra feature both have the same KM's on it...

It's a nifty thing to have. Not necessary by any means, but I'd rather have it than not if possible. I like how everything can be controlled via the iDrive and displayed fully on screen, especially with the phone or iPod connected. Makes browsing through the phonebook or playlists a total breeze. If the two cars are identical otherwise (ie. options/specs), I'd opt for the one with navi than the one without for a grand or two more. Then again, I like having some techy crap in my car lol.

What's the price difference between the two cars?

MPackage
02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey ChrisTO,

The dealer is asking way too much for just the Navi feature...like I posted before thats a $5,000 different and I dont think it is a feature I am dying to have but if I do have that extra money what the heck I might go for it lol...
but wow just for Navi...hmmm

if the picture above is the actual car...it's DVD based. so some of those neato features are not there.

aside from navi I would find out if there are additional functions/capabilities that you get by having Navi with the car? those additional features may help you justify the added cost.

looks like i edited my post as you posted yours. take a read through it again.

i found the idrive system not that hard to use...not sure why people complain about it so much. if you have any concept of using a PC you should be fine.

the navigation part is lacking some capability but only because i'm benchmarking it against the acura one. my wife doesn't let me down that an acura has a better navi system than BMW. :) so my review will be more critical as i'm tainted by acura. hard to say what i would think of the system not having known about acura system.

what's the price delta? looks like used models so i would negotiate hard to get it - assuming the rest of the car is options similarly and in similar condition. though the years seem to be different. I don't think navi should be a big part of the price delta...this is used afterall so you are not paying full retail price for the option. if anything it just makes the car easier to sell for them and they can ask probably a few hundred more for it since it's more desirable.

dbworld4k
02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
That's a big difference in price, but also the Navi equipped car is one year newer. I'd say the extra yr of warranty + navigation would be *almost* worth an additional couple thousand. Knock that price down to 36.5-37 and pull the trigger!

bimmerjoe
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM
i can say one thing,
when it does come time for resale the nav helps a ton

ChrisTO
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
the model year of the car is the main reason for the price delta...not the navi. sure the navi adds to it..but it's not the bulk of the price delta. as others have said you get extra year of factory warranty. unless the mileage is crazy high...year of the car will have bigger price influence. i wouldn't be basing the price on the navi but rather on the conditions of the cars and the fact that you get 1 extra year of peace of mind.

what is that extra year worth in your mind? Did they do any other changes between MY 07 and 08?

realistically i would say navi option adds probably 400-600 more on a used car. you figure factory option it's 1000? does it enable BT? I think on some models you needed navi for BT...maybe it changed with later year models.

dbworld4k
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
^What he said! Navi and BT are mutually exclusive though. Also, the navi option was closer to $2300 I think.

Stephanie
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
When I was looking for my Cabrio, I searched for a black on red 335 with navi for over 6 months before giving up... SOOOO rare! I still kick myself in the ass everyday for giving up, because it is SUCH a cool upgrade.

Navi is around to $2000.00 mark when buying new from the dealer, thing is, if you don't have it, they cannot retrofit it later because its integrated into the dash design itself, which totally sucks.

Bluetooth works without the Navi system, but I believe it is still an option... I have it on my car and LOVE this feature.

Stephanie
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I would also go for the newer model, too... More warranty is a huge plus.

MPackage
02-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey Thanks everyone for your input...when I finally decide what I will get I will let everyone know. Ye I was kind of looking towards the 2008 335i but I have to try and reduce the price with the dealer which wont be easy the fact that I have been there before...lol Any he is pretty firm with his prices on his car...boo that I will let you guys know...wish me luck...

MPackage
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Step,

Is that your coupe in the signature? Did you drop the car with lowering supsension or did it come like that? Whats the combo? Black and ?

Thanks

I would also go for the newer model, too... More warranty is a huge plus.

Gamite
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Navi is around to $2000.00 mark when buying new from the dealer, thing is, if you don't have it, they cannot retrofit it later because its integrated into the dash design itself, which totally sucks.

wanna bet?

http://home.comcast.net/~Booster/idrive/E90_idrive_retrofit.pdf

It's not impossible, but it's a big job. If you find a wrecked E92, you can probably swap it in.

For bluetooth, I totally agree, it seems like such a insignificant thing, but once you have it, you cannot go back. I have it on my parent's ML, and I'm really considering it for the M5 now.

dbworld4k
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
^same here! After using it in my dad's 335 I'm hooked to the OEM integrated BT. Infact, I ordered an integration kit fir my e46 last night lol. Can't wait to hook it up.

Gamite
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
^same here! After using it in my dad's 335 I'm hooked to the OEM integrated BT. Infact, I ordered an integration kit fir my e46 last night lol. Can't wait to hook it up.

where did you order yours from?

dbworld4k
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
PM sent.

lvan
02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
As someone already has said, I would try to work out a deal with a dealer to buy the one with the Navi.
Lets think about this for a bit. You forget your portable GPS in a car. The next day someone breaks in it. It would not be worth to claim it and what not. That money, hassle + tiMe wasted would go for an extra mile to get a 335i with the navi. I would think about it. Trust me, I have seen bunch of those scenerios all over the GTA.

MPackage
02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
ok not sure if this is true or not but I heard having a Navi in ur 335i waste a bit more gas then the 335i without not sure how true that is...also the horsepower is more on a non-navi 335i is this true? Does the Navi suck that much power when its on while driving?

suggestions?

dbworld4k
02-15-2010, 11:23 PM
What crackhead gave you that information? I seriously want what he's smoking - sounds like one HELLUVA mindtrip!

MPackage
02-16-2010, 10:35 AM
That is what I thought too..I just shook my head and was like ok time to post on MaXBimmer and ask the pros. See the one I am looking at is a 2007 335i black on black with sports package and paddle shifters no navi with 3-4 BMW warranty and the price is $33,000 before taxes...any suggestions?

What crackhead gave you that information? I seriously want what he's smoking - sounds like one HELLUVA mindtrip!

blknss
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
"its better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

MPackage
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok I am down to the wire here...what colour is easier to maintain?

Jet Black or Saphire Black looking at both 335i's which one would you recommened?

Thanks

dbworld4k
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Both the same. They're both black = pain in the ass to keep clean, but looks stunning when washed and waxed. Sapphire Black is a metallic color, so it looks a bit nicer. Jet black is non-metallic, and looks much deeper when clean/waxed. Can't go wrong with either!

MPackage
02-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks alot for the feedback..ok I will post my ride soon as I decide on which 335i I am going with...

Both the same. They're both black = pain in the ass to keep clean, but looks stunning when washed and waxed. Sapphire Black is a metallic color, so it looks a bit nicer. Jet black is non-metallic, and looks much deeper when clean/waxed. Can't go wrong with either!