PDA

View Full Version : Installing Coilovers in the winter

e30blue
02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Have a question...

I tried using the search tool but couldnt find anything.

A set of Raceland Coilovers I ordered came in the mail the other day and Id like to install them.

I was told by a friend that its not a good idea to install the coilovers intill warmer months as you want them to set in the heat and not the cold.

so is this true? will it be bad for the coilovers??

Now to clear up a few things, mainly going for cosmetic so I know the performance on racelands sucks. so noo need to flame.

I want to be lowered sooner rather then later, plus if it does snow bad in toronto. the roads get plowed within 24 hours, and anything between that I shouldnt be driving in inclimate weather.

so if any of you suspension experts chime in to say if its safe or not to install coilovers in the winter?

dbworld4k
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Haven't ever heard of this before. So that means manufacturers shouldn't be replacing worn shocks/struts on everyday cars during winter months? I don't see the validity in that claim by your friend.

e30blue
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
well basically saying...

leave a balloon in the winter, it will shrivel up. in the summer it will expand.

his analogy is probably the same for coilovers... but thank you for chiming in.

Jim .E.
02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
It doesn't hurt to put them in now, but I would install them when its warmer.

Mystikal
02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
May as well not coat them in salt right off the bat (they will seize...expect it. COAT the sleeves in a lubricant before next winter).

But the "set in heat" thing is completely fake.