PDA

View Full Version : Hill Rocking Thread and Poll: do you do it?

pawcio
01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
so here is the continuation of another thread.

who here rocks back and forth while at a light on an uphill?

i do it!

craz azn
01-29-2010, 11:18 PM
You must like clutch jobs then huh

///MG
01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
No. I'm not stupid enough to abuse my clutch.

hockeyfan27
01-30-2010, 01:30 AM
on occasion, if I hit the tail end of a light.

Nick_V
01-30-2010, 01:31 AM
No, I'm lame. Lol. To be honest, whenever I see someone doing that, it makes me think they are a beginner because a) they must not know it's a bad habit, and b) it's their way of letting everyone know that they're cool and drive stick. That being said, I catch myself doing it every now and then*shiner*

Fern3
01-30-2010, 01:37 AM
I do it and i love it. Don't really care what the people around me say, it kills time and I enjoy it

propr'one
01-30-2010, 03:50 AM
people get scared enough when they see me driving without my doing this

BigD
01-30-2010, 09:06 AM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8430/facepalmimplied.jpg

pawcio
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
i never had a problem with clutches on any of my cars including one I had with 180K+ km. it still had the original clutch.

Dr. Flyview
01-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm too paranoid to do it in the bmw, but do it all the time in the benz. If you feather the clutch without raising revs to like 1000, it's not really bad for the clutch...

spoony_prelude
01-30-2010, 02:17 PM
wtf is the point? When I see people do it i think u look like a posing racer eager to get on with the race! If the lights red, im stopped, im not preparing to begin my session of the 24hr lemans!

Jay

Fern3
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
^ those are people that rev up to 3 grand every time they stop rolling back and actually take off quickly. I don't consider this clutch abuse, I don't even touch my gas i just ease off the clutch. clutch abuse is racing starts or anytime your drop your clutch at high revs.

propr'one
01-30-2010, 04:07 PM
^^that's not entirely true, you can burn your clutch at idle if you try to hard enough.

Bullet Ride
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
^^that's not entirely true, you can burn your clutch at idle if you try to hard enough.

Yeah that's pretty much the point here. Whenever your clutch plate is slipping against the flywheel wear occurs. So each time you rock at a light consider it the same as if you were starting from a stop. It's not going to kill your clutch but the bottom line is that it will wear out your clutch faster than if you were to just come to a stop.

EMPOWERD
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Anyone who does that plain and simply doesn't know how to drive standard properly (yes, i'm an instructor and this is my professional opinion). To show proper skill, the handbrake is pulled to hold the car. Then disengaged at exactly the right moment the clutch is engaged when the light turns green. When done perfectly, the car should not roll backwards 1". By law, if you back into someone accidentally on an incline you're at fault (had a noob do it to me once). Any iota of logic will tell you that the clutch is taking a beating while you rub-it-to-hell holding your 3500lb sled on the hill.

pawcio
01-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone who does that plain and simply doesn't know how to drive standard properly (yes, i'm an instructor and this is my professional opinion). To show proper skill, the handbrake is pulled to hold the car. Then disengaged at exactly the right moment the clutch is engaged when the light turns green. When done perfectly, the car should not roll backwards 1". By law, if you back into someone accidentally on an incline you're at fault (had a noob do it to me once). Any iota of logic will tell you that the clutch is taking a beating while you rub-it-to-hell holding your 3500lb sled on the hill.

if i'm on a hill and a light goes green, i don't let the car roll back when i'm starting off.

pawcio
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
it has nothing to do with being a posing racer. its for personal enjoyment and to help the time pass. i don't give a damn what other people think. if you actually think that people do it to be 'racers' at le mans or whatever then that is just funny imo.

and by rocking, i meant feathering the clutch not reving the engine and letting out the clutch. normal rocking the rpm will maybe go 200 above the idle rpm. if driven properly a clutch will last a long time. if rocking back and forth decreases the lifespan by a little then whatever. and by hill, it might be a small incline. not a 30o incline.

also, i'd maybe keep a car for the time of two clutch lifespans, if that so i don't mind replacing the clutch once.

dble Trouble
01-30-2010, 04:55 PM
The poll is worded wrong. It should be rolling foward and back is lame, not rolling, and auto,

I just don't see the point at rolling back.

pawcio
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
The poll is worded wrong. It should be rolling foward and back is lame, not rolling, and auto,

I just don't see the point at rolling back.

that was just for dramatic effect. :D
i actually don't think that not doing it is lame. to each their own.

i actually respect the person who voted for the 3rd option. rock on brother. *rockout*

spoony_prelude
01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
you get personal enjoyment of sitting at a light rocking your car? does that really make sense to you? if your bored, turn on the radio, look out the window, check ur phone for messages.

there is absolutely no sense in killing your clutch, and if you really believe you arent wearing anything out by doing that, then you really dont understand how manual transmission works. your burning ur clutch, scoring the flywheel/pressure plate, and wearing out ur clutch release bearing...

Sorry for the rant, but I just really find it as a dumb thing to do!

Jay

pawcio
01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
if your bored, turn on the radio
on all the time

check ur phone for messages
that's illegal now

there is absolutely no sense in killing your clutch, and if you really believe you arent wearing anything out by doing that, then you really dont understand how manual transmission works. your burning ur clutch, scoring the flywheel/pressure plate, and wearing out ur clutch release bearing...

Sorry for the rant, but I just really find it as a dumb thing to do!

Jay

i'm not saying it doesn't have an effect, but i don't think its as drastic as you think. most wear on the clutch happens when high torque is delivered from the engine. if you just release the clutch at idle the forces going through it are many magnitudes less than when you release the clutch at say 2000rmp or more..
clutches were are made to withstand torque. obviously they wear because they are in contact with other components which causes friction but that is normal. nothing lasts forever and i'm fine with that.

if it caused me to change my clutch every 50K then i wouldn't do it. but so far as i've said before, my previous car had 180K on it with original clutch and my bmw has 90K and i'm pretty confident that it will still have the original clutch when i replace it with something else in the next few years. and if not then 1 clutch replacement is not that big of a deal. i'll survive.

Axxe
01-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, so much fail in this thread.

craigIS
01-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Even on an incline that is barely noticeable, I don't do it. If I bump or back into the guy behind me, it's my fault. That said, half the people out there are such idiots, that they don't think for one second that someone may have a manual transmission, they are sitting on a hill, and when they go to take off, they may roll back depending on the hill, and the drivers experience. So what do these morons do? Pull up behind you and get as close to you as possible, because they are in too big of a hurry. Why chance anything with idiots on the the road, even if its only a 1-2 degree incline?

Stephanie
01-31-2010, 06:37 PM
I do it! Simply because I have A.D.D. and its fun... LOL!
No seriously, I don't know where this habit came from, but I do do it from time to time.
Never burnt through a clutch doing it or anything like that... Maybe cuz I don't do this THAT often, I dunno...

spoony_prelude
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
^^^Steph would u do this with ur civic? What stage was ur clutch in that thing?

Jay

lvan
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Maybe I live in the boonies, but 8 out of 10 cars in Toronto ride on your ass. So no roll back. My clutch + insurance is more important to me.

Mad Cow
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I do it every once in a while if I'm bored on purpose. But sometimes accidentally when I want to hold the car on an incline without braking because the light's about to turn green. I'm still not used to this clutch so eventually I'll only do it if I'm bored. Sometimes I'll do it just to show the guy behind me that I have a manual and might roll back so that hopefully they won't get any closer over time.

Also, am I the only one that lets off the clutch just a bit while I'm holding the brakes so that it'll already be grabbing when I let off the brakes so that I'll roll back less or not roll back at all?

Stephanie
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
^^^Steph would u do this with ur civic? What stage was ur clutch in that thing?

Jay

LOL... Yesh *wiggle* ...sometimes.

It was an ACT and I thiiiiiink (if I remember correctly) a dual-stage. It was good for over 300 ft. lbs. of torque so it was pretty heavy-duty (Which sounds like nothing but Civics don't make torque!! The most torque I ever make was 227 ft lbs at 345 whp.)

propr'one
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
holy shit that little civic of yours had 350hp?

davericher20
02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
rolling back and forth is rice style.

pawcio
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
rolling back and forth is rice style.

i'm sure its been going on for many years before rice was invented. probably around the time manual transmissions were invented.

blk3
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
no rocking for me. i dont like to needlessly burn my clutch, its just stupid and pointless. if i want to do stupid and pointless things i will roast some tires while swinging my cars ass around some corners. at least thats fun

Stephanie
02-02-2010, 10:17 AM
holy shit that little civic of yours had 350hp?

Oui *wiggle* ... I no likes stock.

propr'one
02-03-2010, 04:54 AM
Or hooking in the first three gears? :P

Stephanie
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Or hooking in the first three gears? :P

^^^ Yea, that too *mumble* LOL!