PDA

View Full Version : how to you get your lowered car onto ramps?

King Luis
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
how do you get your lowered car onto ramps to do an oil change?

i'm currently using a couple pieces of wood to act as a ramp to a ramp but need something better as i'm still scraping a little.

here's what type of ramp i'm using.

http://www.allramps.com/URB9000-3.jpg

hockeyfan27
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I've seen ramp extensions for sale at crappy tire for this purpose.

Manimillion
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I just jack the car up and put it on jack stands.

Hopefuly, soon it'll be I put the car on a hoist and tadaaa

King Luis
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I just jack the car up and put it on jack stands.

Hopefuly, soon it'll be I put the car on a hoist and tadaaa

problem is i need to buy a new jack that 1. raises it higher and 2. is low enough to fit under the car. also i want to do my oil changes in my garage and using a jack will be impossible or very difficult.

got a link for those ramp extensions?

stan man
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I think two pieces of wood is the cheapest and best solution. Spray paint them black to match the ramps :) i don't know :D

I use jacks to bring the car up high enough

Manimillion
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
problem is i need to buy a new jack that 1. raises it higher and 2. is low enough to fit under the car. also i want to do my oil changes in my garage and using a jack will be impossible or very difficult.

I use a Michelin Aluminum jack. Would that jack fit under your car?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lMioQjIgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They go on sale at CTC at about 65% off.

hockeyfan27
01-28-2010, 01:16 PM

I just went searching and it looks like the don't carry them anymore. There were sold as an accessory to the steel ramps. Now they only have the plastic ones.

possible solution (if money is no object): http://www.princessauto.com/hydraulics/hoists/2-post/8275612-2-post-portable-hydraulic-vehicle-lift?keyword=car+ramp

hockeyfan27
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
or on the economy side: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-CAR-RAMPS-W0QQAdIdZ182519173

craigIS
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
mine scrapes. so i use a jack and a couple stands. and my car isnt all that low. i just use crappy tire jack.

i also have a road side jack from my old taurus, and it is low enough to fit under

aaron320i
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Use the ramps. But before you drive up use a rolling jack line it up with the car, jack up on the sway bar just enough that the car wont scrap and then finish driving up, reverse procedure to get down. Not the safest, but safer than 2 pieces of wood. Note. Don't jack the whole car up on the sway bar, also if you have a aftermarket sway bar, don't bother.*rockout*

Eurotakeover
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
take the front bumper off. Its 2 bolts... takes 5 mins

ACS_DAN
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Get longer pieces of wood so that incline is not as steep. That should help you out a bit.

Or the low profile jack is a good idea.

King Luis
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
take the front bumper off. Its 2 bolts... takes 5 mins

2 bolts to remove an e46 bumper? i don't think so. its probably a lot more than that.
i was thinking of a couple planks of wood instead of 2x4s lined up.

hmmm.

Steve30
01-29-2010, 10:11 AM
i just use 4 2x4's, 2 longer ones and then 2 shorter ones under the long ones to support the middle so they don't sag or snap.

Stephanie
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
possible solution: http://www.princessauto.com/hydraulics/hoists/2-post/8275612-2-post-portable-hydraulic-vehicle-lift?keyword=car+ramp

^^ Not a great solution. I need wood planks to get my car on a traditional two-post hoist like this one and I have a drive-up hoist at home with pretty long ramps and STILL need wood planks to avoid tearing off my front lip. Such a pain in the ass, but needs moar drop. Yes. *rockout*

Stephanie
01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
....... and my car isn't even that low!

T.Dot_E30
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I have a drive-up hoist at home with pretty long ramps

:eek: You have a hoist at home? I wanna see!

R.S.C
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Don't you? Pretty standard now-a-days, I have two. *smoke*

Add me to the list of members using wood planks to get the job done!

Stephanie
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM

LOL!! Its really nothing special... Kinda useless since its a drive-up. Buuuuuut great for oil changes and stuff...

That's why I tell you guys to come over when you need to work on your cars! (as long as its not raining, cuz my dad's car that's stored up there doesn't see rain :rolleyes:)

ACS_DAN
01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL!! Its really nothing special... Kinda useless since its a drive-up. Buuuuuut great for oil changes and stuff...

That's why I tell you guys to come over when you need to work on your cars! (as long as its not raining, cuz my dad's car that's stored up there doesn't see rain :rolleyes:)

*sad**sad* Parents want to adopt? Come on... I can be like the younger black brother you always wanted.

=p

kevin325
01-29-2010, 03:40 PM
2 bolts to remove an e46 bumper? i don't think so. its probably a lot more than that.
i was thinking of a couple planks of wood instead of 2x4s lined up.

hmmm.

Its like 4 bolts..2 on bottom and two on the fender sides. Ask Mikey(Zimmie) on how you can remove it.

spoony_prelude
01-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Thats why i love the e36, I use the factory jack to lift the car high enough to get my michelin jack under the subframe/crossmember. I would need 3 layers of 2X4's piled on on top of the other the slide the jack under my car.

Jay

spoony_prelude
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM

My car doesn't see rain either, got a problem with that? :moon: lol

Jay

propr'one
01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I have those ramps. And the extentions for lowered cars. And i raised my car back up (only on H&R sport now), and it still rubs a little bit.

To be honest, when i do the rear its fine (can get up without wood), when i do the front, i usually take the bumper off, since my bumper is only really held on by 2 nuts.

T.Dot_E30
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM

Sweet! Spring meet at Steph's!

King Luis
02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
so i made some extensions over the weekend. i might slightly rub when my car is lowered but i'll just have to wait until the summer to find out.

what i did was bought a 2x8x12 and cut it down to two 3 foot pieces and two 2.5 foot pieces. angled the edges and had them building up on to the ramps. noticing it wasn't enough i got a couple pieces of 2x4 and cut them down to make one more step up. car cleared the ramps by 1.5 inches.

Stephanie
02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
My car doesn't see rain either, got a problem with that? :moon: lol

Jay

Yes. I'm gonna fight you... Callin you out biatch!!! :moon: LOL!

Stephanie
02-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Sweet! Spring meet at Steph's!

LOL!! Could you imagine?! 50 or so bimmers on my street! My neighbours would shit.

LOL... I'm totally down.

King Luis
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
LOL!! Could you imagine?! 50 or so bimmers on my street! My neighbours would shit.

LOL... I'm totally down.

its been done before.

e30 meet stopped at zimmies a few years back. had near 30 bimmers lined up.

Jim .E.
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
^^ Not a great solution. I need wood planks to get my car on a traditional two-post hoist like this one and I have a drive-up hoist at home with pretty long ramps and STILL need wood planks to avoid tearing off my front lip. Such a pain in the ass, but needs moar drop. Yes. *rockout*

+1 I usually drive onto 2 wooden 2x4" and then use a jack after that a two-point hoist gets under my car. I only have 3" clearance from the ground to the lip kit in the summer and about 3.75" during the winter

spoony_prelude
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes. I'm gonna fight you... Callin you out biatch!!! :moon: LOL!

Bring it sucka!!!*shiner*

lol

Jay