PDA

View Full Version : needing some comments for a question, BMW

thung_mail
01-27-2010, 04:07 AM
One of my friends asks me a question like is it safe when you buy a car from another dealership such as buying a BMW from Mercedes Benz. I don't know how to give a comment. Any comments,here, are appreciated.

nachos23
01-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd be more careful from buying from a private individual than from a dealership. Although dealerships are not the most reputable places in the world, a MB dealer has more to lose by bad publicity than a private individual or small independent car lot. I would still require a secondary inspection by a trusted garage as part of deal. I bought mine from a aftermarket dealer (friends shop) and I've been blessed with a remarkably reliable car; still running original OE suspension parts with 212,000 km..... so, luck plays a part too...... No matter where you buy a good visual and mechanical inspection is crucial!! Hope that answers your question.

Ceeker
01-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Dito ^ like bmw-their pre-owned/used vehicles are certified series which makes them a refurbished car to run and look new. I would check with them to see if it is ok to take to a shop of your preference before buying. Say a bmw dealership? lol..

nachos23
01-27-2010, 09:16 AM
say a reputable mechanic. I think the BMW dealership may be put off with inspecting a car from a competitor and suggest defects that are marginal inorder to discredit the selling dealership, or make the car look less enticing. I'd go to independent mechanic for inspection, someone with no vested interest to sell you a BMW. I have one if you need one. Will not steer you wrong....

dbworld4k
01-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Authorized Dealerships > 3rd Party Dealerships > Private.

General rule of thumb, ofcourse.

arek
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
If the mercedes dealership has the car on their lot, it is a good vehicle. Otherwise, it would be auctioned off and would end up at a used car lot dealership somewhere in the GTA area.

They don't keep trash! Must have been a trade in
:)

arek
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
say a reputable mechanic. I think the BMW dealership may be put off with inspecting a car from a competitor and suggest defects that are marginal inorder to discredit the selling dealership, or make the car look less enticing. I'd go to independent mechanic for inspection, someone with no vested interest to sell you a BMW. I have one if you need one. Will not steer you wrong....

BMW would be more then happy to have the car inspected by them, they could give a rats ass where it is from... or have any consideration for their competitors.

Just call and make an appointment, I paid $127 to have a car inspected last time.

slemmer
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Back in December I was at Oakville BMW and looked at a used M3. It seemed to be priced right but when I asked to see the service report it showed an accident repair of $11,000. Turned me right off. I thought dealerships keep the nice cars around and not the banged up ones. Buyer beware and ask the right questions!

simplycars
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
as to accident repairs - average small accident is within $5000 when you have it done by a good shop. serious accident would mean write off. $11000 is not much when you factor labour, bmw parts, towing, storage fee etc

g-unit
01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
If the mercedes dealership has the car on their lot, it is a good vehicle. Otherwise, it would be auctioned off and would end up at a used car lot dealership somewhere in the GTA area.

They don't keep trash! Must have been a trade in
:)

this

4WDFUN
01-27-2010, 06:40 PM

I DISAGREE!

Authorized dealer(as long as there are records and the car is fairly new)>Private>3rd Party dealer.

lvan
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM

Um I would rather buy from a private than any of those shitty/shady dealers on Finch/Duff strip. Let alone that I am a West end hater. When you cross Yonge street and look at those dealers, warehouse and other shady shops, it looks as if 1970s never ended in that area.

dbworld4k
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
^Whoops! I don't know how the hell I made that error. I fully agree too, 100% on private >3rd party.

europrince
01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
For most 3rd party dealers, I completely agree. There are others who are honest, believe it or not. City South on Dufferin, south of Lawrence, sells every car with a Carproof report and lets you have the car inspected independently.

http://citysouth.ca/

myndgone
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
For most 3rd party dealers, I completely agree. There are others who are honest, believe it or not. City South on Dufferin, south of Lawrence, sells every car with a Carproof report and lets you have the car inspected independently.

http://citysouth.ca/

there's always that "one in a million" one :cool:

330Hi
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I DISAGREE!

Authorized dealer(as long as there are records and the car is fairly new)>Private>3rd Party dealer.

+1 :cool: