PDA

View Full Version : Trust worthy shop to get a car safetied?

njansenv
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Greetings, all of you. I need to get the M3 safetied: my wife dropped it off locally and they determined that it needed "new brakes and tires all around". Once I told them I had taken pictures earlier to aid the sale of the car, the tune changed somewhat. I want to sell the car in a safe condition (obviously) but prefer not to get hosed with un-necessary repairs. I'm located in Hamilton, but will drive IF necessary to get it inspected fairly.
On another note: my understanding is that a vehicle can pass the safety inspection if the airbag light is on. Is this correct?

Nathan

e30bim
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Nobody should ever buy a car with the airbag light on, unless it is a car that was written off or salvage title and they want it for parts. Many owners neglect the light when it's often times small fixes. Years go by and then it's 4 or 5 things totalling $1500-$2000 or something crazy. Fix it right away.

njansenv
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
^ I concur, but it's not actually a requirement for a Ontario Safety cert, right?

simplycars
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
technically it is but most places skip over it

Eurotakeover
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
^ I concur, but it's not actually a requirement for a Ontario Safety cert, right?

Mines on, i heard it doesn't matter

propr'one
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
All of the safety equipment in your car has to work for safety. Most places will ignore it. Scan the code, its likely the passenger seat sensor, in which case its not too hard of a fix.

You should be able to tell yourself if the tires and brakes need to be done. If they dont, tell the shop so.

I'm sure either RMP or Bimmersport will safety the car for you and give you an actual honest estimate of what needs to be done.

njansenv
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Tires are definitely ok...nearly new REO1R's. (which are DECIDEDLY unsafe this time of year, but meet safety requirements).
I'll be checking the brakes myself tonight, and taking photos for my own reference.
I get mixed reviews on the airbag light thing, but it's not mentioned on the ontario license safety requirement list.... FWIW.
The light is on because the clockspring was missing. Not faulty. Missing. I'm a little annoyed about that. It's possible there are other reasons the light is on: I'll look into it.
Thanks all.

Nathan

Ihavenocar
01-25-2010, 02:15 PM
carhouse at laidlaw and highway 7 :)

simplycars
01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Tires are definitely ok...nearly new REO1R's. (which are DECIDEDLY unsafe this time of year, but meet safety requirements).
I'll be checking the brakes myself tonight, and taking photos for my own reference.
I get mixed reviews on the airbag light thing, but it's not mentioned on the ontario license safety requirement list.... FWIW.
The light is on because the clockspring was missing. Not faulty. Missing. I'm a little annoyed about that. It's possible there are other reasons the light is on: I'll look into it.
Thanks all.

Nathan

Let me know if you need help with scanning the car or any work.