PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan Gasket

Mclarenbenz
03-20-2003, 04:35 AM
ok fellas, I looked around to see if someone has posted this , and no luck, so I must bother you guys:)

How mutch should I expect to get this replaced??, I need to know before I get ripped off:(

Fernando
03-20-2003, 08:47 AM
I suspect gasket will run you $25-$35

Plus 1 hour labour, including labour to remove and clean existing gasket material.

You might also want to add the cost of an oil change to this...

"If I could marry a car I probably would!!"

Wow, and I thought I was a car nut...

Cheers,

Fern

Mclarenbenz
03-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Hey fernando,

I had someone tell me today that it might be more work than expected, I heard that they have to lift the engine in order to get at the oil pan gasket, so I'm a bit worried, I don't need to to drop $350 right now:(

any other input would be apreciated.

BimmerJim®
03-20-2003, 07:37 PM
there are write up on it io know it,. but i cant remember where.

you can either use a cherry picker to lift thhe engine a few inches and pull the pan that way, or you can build a... "bridge" hasicaly a u shaped bridge that attatches to the engine by the mounts then jack from below, or, you can drop the subframe. but that is a pain in the ass.

make shure to remove the bolts from the motor mounts to not rip them,. and it would be a good idea to replace them while your there.

there are 4 or 6 bolts on the lower bottom of the tranny you need to remove to get the pan off,. you will see it when you remove it.

takes about 2 hours if all goes smooth.

Mclarenbenz
03-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, so I whent to my friends house, (he is a mechanic that works out of his garage) the day before I was supposed to go to the shop (that told me the oil pan gasket needed changing, in the first place) to get my oil pan gasket fixed, we lifted the car, to look at what "exactly" was the problem, and guess what? it was actually the "oil sending unit" that was causing the leak!!

just a word of advise, never trust a trusty mechanic*no-no*

anyway aything I need to know about the oil sending unit?, because it seems easy to replace*smoke*

Euro_E30
03-25-2003, 06:22 PM
It does not take 1 hour to do an oil pan gasket r u crazy.....at least 3 with the all the bullshit in the way to do it properly...

Fernando
03-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Euro_E30
It does not take 1 hour to do an oil pan gasket r u crazy.....at least 3 with the all the bullshit in the way to do it properly...

CORRRRRRECT!
Your right the actual oil pan removal and replacement is actually quite involved, ie: rack & pinion, lifting engine mounts, etc..
Its been a while since my '88 325is. (3hrs + part at least...)

Sorry for the misinfo.

My sincere apologies...

The next round is on me!

Cheers,

Fern