PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else take out their (winter stored) car today?

Stephanie
01-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I couldn't resist!! It was +4 and the roads were dry!!

Went to wrench on my car & start her up where she is stored & had to take her for a little blast... Can't even explain how amazing that was! I miss the summer *sad*

Anyone else "cheat" today??

Gamite
01-16-2010, 06:08 PM
started it last night but didn't drive it.

blk3
01-16-2010, 06:13 PM
mine is a dd so i enjoy the pleasure of driving it everyday rain or shine, sideways or circles.

Nick_V
01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I wish, but mine is down to an AC compressor and two mounts from being motorless. It's got a bad oil leak that I suspect is the timing cover gaskets plus I'm doing the clutch/flywheel so it's just easier that way. I've been working on it for like a year now when I get time here and there (it's been a CRAZY year at work), but the rear suspension is brand new and I'm finally starting to see the light. I just hope I have it done by spring cause I really miss driving it and can't wait to again.

So yeah, I'm jealous.

spoony_prelude
01-16-2010, 06:42 PM
heeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllll no!

It a summer car, and a summer car it shall stay! No fun driving it with the top up!

Cheater!

Jay

El Gato Liso
01-16-2010, 06:44 PM
haha i took my out yesterday.

driving on the main road with no insurance...i was shaking after, what a thrill!!!!

thing is, mine isnt off the road for winter...its off the road because its helping save up for my motor swap come spring!

Steve30
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm so tempted too but honestly I'm too lazy since its washed waxed and under a cover lol. Gotta keep it clean for the spring!!

propr'one
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
****. i gotta start storing my car closer to home.

Robb
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I didn't drive it but I went to start up my crx 2 days ago. 1st time I've seen it since I stored it for winter October 10th. Hooked up th 6 year old battery and started right up. :)

ShortShifter
01-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah I drove my E91 today...it was fantastic!:D

dbworld4k
01-17-2010, 01:51 AM
You talked me into firing mine up today, and I got carried away and drove around the block (and then some!). Good times!

Dr. Flyview
01-17-2010, 03:05 AM
tsk tsk tsk tsk

///Maluco
01-17-2010, 03:16 AM
no, but it was sure tempting. I'll probably start it up today though.

Dr. Flyview
01-17-2010, 03:31 AM
What's this starting up of the engines, I thought you weren't supposed to.

4WDFUN
01-17-2010, 11:23 AM

There are two ways of thinking on this topic.
Myself and many others believe that the worst thing is to let a car just sit for 6 months as there are potential, internal and external engine issues that could arise.

When I stored my M5, I started it and drove it (outside if it was nice or inside the underground) once a month.

BMe30
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I start mine every 2 days...

i took my car out thursday eve just before the sun set and yesterday for about 30min

she's always a little rough at first with idle and maintaining idle but after a while she's back to her ol' self

Stephanie
01-17-2010, 12:58 PM

I think the worst thing to do is to start it up for just a few minutes per time... When I do start mine I make sure it reaches operating temperature and stretch her legs a little bit... But I don't do that often since it stays connected to a trickle charger and is down in my grandparents' garage in Toronto *mumble*

Steve30
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
The best thing to do is fog the engine and just leave it but if you do decide to start it up you should run it on the highway for like 20-30 minutes to get everything warmed up (build proper oil pressure, warm the bearing up etc...)

blk3
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I think the worst thing to do is to start it up for just a few minutes per time... When I do start mine I make sure it reaches operating temperature and stretch her legs a little bit... But I don't do that often since it stays connected to a trickle charger and is down in my grandparents' garage in Toronto *mumble*

that is correct, if you just start up the motor and run it for a few minutes your motor doesnt get up to temp. what ends up happening is the condensation from your motor will make your engine oil go creamy colour. almost like antifreeze mixing with oil look. always run it up to temp and you will be good.

Dr. Flyview
01-17-2010, 01:16 PM
^^ Exactly...so if you can't take it out for a drive you shouldnt' start it right? What is this fogging the engine? I haven't started mine since mid-late November.

richie_s999
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I wanted to take the E30 out, but its an hour away in storage....have the e36's to tie me over till spring.

Stephanie
01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
^^ Exactly...so if you can't take it out for a drive you shouldnt' start it right? What is this fogging the engine? I haven't started mine since mid-late November.

Right. At least that's what I generally go by... There's no sense in "testing" it to see if it starts just to turn it off in 45 seconds. As blk3 stated, condensation in the motor, etc. is not desirable.

Stephanie
01-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I wanted to take the E30 out, but its an hour away in storage....have the e36's to tie me over till spring.

lol!! Poor you! What a hard life you lead :P

dbworld4k
01-17-2010, 01:24 PM
that is correct, if you just start up the motor and run it for a few minutes your motor doesnt get up to temp. what ends up happening is the condensation from your motor will make your engine oil go creamy colour. almost like antifreeze mixing with oil look. always run it up to temp and you will be good.
+1. Unless you really want an excuse to do a motor swap, than continue to do otherwise! ;)

Steve30
01-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Fogging the engine involves spraying a special oil into the cylinders which lubricates the walls and valves. Fogging is mainly used in marine engines and snowmobiles but it works just the same for cars. Its really easy to do, only took me about 45 minutes. There's two ways of doing it but I find pulling the plugs, spraying it in each cylinder and then cranking the motor over is the safest and easiest.

Eurotakeover
01-17-2010, 01:57 PM
The best thing to do is fog the engine and just leave it but if you do decide to start it up you should run it on the highway for like 20-30 minutes to get everything warmed up (build proper oil pressure, warm the bearing up etc...)

+1, just leave it dont start her till summer guys.

1sick318
01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
ooooooooo ya i couldint resist

El Gato Liso
01-17-2010, 05:06 PM
im bad....
took it on the road again not that long ago teeeheheee

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM 1st
drop 2nd...mad wheel spin for a bit
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOM 2nd
UTURN
repeat....drift around corner in neighbourhood....

summer summer, where art thou

slemmer
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Mine is hooked up on a charger until the spring. If you start up your motors during the off season do you also run the a/c to circulate the oil around to prevent drying out the o-rings?

INFAMOU$
01-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Started up my Lightning today.. miss the sound of b00st!

740-iLL
01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
:( the only driving I have gotten done in mine is when I dropped her off to Charlie @ Bimmersport to get a full suspension refresh, and the drive home. Haven't even gotten to get a proper FEEL to the bilsteins and H&R's just as yet

Jim .E.
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
both cars are daily drivers so I guess I cheat all the time :)

enfield
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I have been driving my E92 M3 with Michelin PA3's in 235/40/18 and love the performance of these V-rated winter tires!

dbworld4k
01-19-2010, 12:35 AM
both cars are daily drivers so I guess I cheat all the time :)

You disloyal slut, you! *drink*

hockeyfan27
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
haha i took my out yesterday.

driving on the main road with no insurance...i was shaking after, what a thrill!!!!...

If you call your broker they may be willing to do a temporary substitution for a day or two. That is unless you REALLY enjoy the rush.

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
i agree with 4wdfun...it is good to start up and move the car once a month....and thats why Stephanie i did exactly that...it was decent weather and dry roads...before storing I took my E38 to my buddies mechanic shop..hoisted her up...sanded the undercarriage...primed and then painted it with special rust paint...though there wasnt any rust since its never been driven in salty roads...still had to do it....washed and then waxed and buffed....engine steam cleaned...belts sprayed with lubes...oil flush and fuel tank filled up and stabalized...

The 16th was so nice i kudnt help myself loll....What a feeling....fell in love all over again :P

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 12:36 PM
:( the only driving I have gotten done in mine is when I dropped her off to Charlie @ Bimmersport to get a full suspension refresh, and the drive home. Haven't even gotten to get a proper FEEL to the bilsteins and H&R's just as yet

Hey man do you have a good hook up for bilsteins and H&Rs im planning to do the front end suspension change in my car....i dont want to touch the self leveling rear ones yet...please let me know .....cheers

dble Trouble
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM

It's not an hour away 40 minutes tops................sheesh! LOL!

dble Trouble
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I can't believe you guys/gals don't drive your cars year round. I'd miss the shear driving pleasure too much. If your winter car isn't a beater and is another bimmer I could understand. I don't get as much pleasure driving anything else really. I've had an Explorer work truck, my wife's work vehicle is an H3, my other car is a Jetta 1.8t and they're all crap in comparison. So I just drive the E30 year round. Not to mention it's a hoot to drive in the snow and contrary to what some people say, it's a great car in the snow with good snow tires on.

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
its the salt that bugs me....its like cancer for a car....kant do that to my ride thts all..plus i prefer a 4x4 for winter..:)

Jim .E.
01-19-2010, 01:40 PM
You disloyal slut, you! *drink*

LOL I don't see the point in storing cars (aside from salt - but if u wash it regularly and rust proof, no problem). I want to be able to drive it year round without waiting for the weather to "warm up".

Stephanie
01-19-2010, 02:45 PM
^^^ I used to be the same, but I 'inherited' a winter beater (my dad's old truck) and it's worth just as much as snows/rims would be for the E93... Plus insurance is 2/3 as much as my bimmer... So why not?!

dbworld4k
01-19-2010, 02:52 PM
LOL I don't see the point in storing cars (aside from salt - but if u wash it regularly and rust proof, no problem). I want to be able to drive it year round without waiting for the weather to "warm up".

I've always maintained the same ideology, but this year I just did not want to mash up a freshly painted bumper/splitters, and didn't want to expose the shiny PSS10s to road salt/sand/crap from winter driving *shiner*. That, and seeing all the stupid drivers in the snow worries me; last thing I need is some moronic douchemissle plowing into my E46 in a snowfall.

hockeyfan27
01-19-2010, 03:10 PM
...douchemissle... :D

my new word of the day!

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
how much insurance do you guys pay for you bimmers? my full coverage is $580/month so switching to an older SUV made it 140/month...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve30
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
It's not JUST the salt! Think about those cold weather start ups the engine has to go through. Plus I wouldn't feel safe driving something so valuable to me in the winter when most people in our city don;t use snow tires and don't drive according to conditions.

dbworld4k
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
You pay nearly 6bills a month!? Holy **** dude. Mine is ~300/month with full coverage.

Steve30
01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
wow 580 is a lot, I pay $315/month full coverage.

You pay nearly 6bills a month!? Holy **** dude. Mine is ~300/month with full coverage.

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
im 21 :S.......so yah drivin it for even 4-5 months is such joy for me :)......one way coverage is 250 or so but I wudnt take the chance especially when it so dear to me...

dbworld4k
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm under 25, too. Even still that is preposterous! Did you try putting your patent(s) as primary drivers and moving you to secondary? What company are you with?

dble Trouble
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
how much insurance do you guys pay for you bimmers? my full coverage is $580/month so switching to an older SUV made it 140/month...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Douchemissile (sorry Anuk, I had to find a way to use it..........priceless). I'm paying $95/month full coverage.........of course I'm also an old fart! For 3 cars, and a house I pay $325/month full coverages on all, there is something to be said for passing the age of 25 I tell you! :moon:

And in regards to driving it through the winter meh. It's a car. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I ever won the lottery, not only would a Ferrari F430 grace my driveway, parked outside it would also see winters and I want to be the first person to put a million Km on a Ferrari, as far as I know, it has not been done!! *rockout*

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm under 25, too. Even still that is preposterous! Did you try putting your patent(s) as primary drivers and moving you to secondary? What company are you with?

IM an international student..so my parents arent here...so i bear the whole price..otherwise id definately do that......my GF drives an 04 lexus rx330 and her insurance is 180/month fully covered....:( unfair!!! Im with Belairdirect....otherones were even worse lol like Desjardins was 799 a month.....

propr'one
01-19-2010, 04:30 PM
My insurance for the e36 is about 2200 a year

Insurance for the iX is about 1400 a year.

So the summer costs about (5/12)2200= 916$
... the winter costs about (7/12)1400=816$

So i pay about 1700$ a year for my two cars with my mom insured on both of them. And by "i" pay, i mean my mommy pays:D

/flame suit on, you jealous, jealous bicheseses.

hockeyfan27
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM

This can work, but only in specific situations.

1- There has to be more drivers in the household than vehicles. Otherwise everyone gets rated as a primary driver on at least one vehicle NO EXCEPTIONS.

2- Ownership has to be showing parents name.

If you are knowingly mis-representing the actual use of the vehicle you run the risk of having your claim denied. Little claims probably won't be a problem. If you get sued expect to be scrutinized. Insurance companies like their money. They are highly suspicious and have tight fists especially when it comes to million dollar lawsuits. I'd post several examples, but my industry has a bad enough rep as it is. :D

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
that would work....they usually dont care much for third party insurance...when I insured my E38 under full coverage they actually inspected my car and said I should get an appraisal done because they felt the car is worth much more than average E38s in the market for its age. I think that is another reason for the high price. It was appraised at a value easily 2.5 times of an average 01 E38.

Stephanie
01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
^^^ I know how he feels... At 21 they wanted me to pay $589.00/month liability only on my 1994 325i convertible at one point. They were clearly high.

I put the vehicle under my parents name.

Now, at 24 and with the E93 and a slightly (I really mean only slightly... *sad*) better record, I pay $150.00/month FULL coverage with me as a primary driver but with the ownership belonging to my mother.

Insurance is bullshit. There are 12 million factors that come into play. :mad:

Dammerung
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
oh well....i gess the best solution for me>>>> temporary adoption :P:P

El Gato Liso
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
full coverage for me is a dream.

e30 ran me 280$
then got BS accident on me, bumped to 410$
didnt drive it for the year.
got it back after renewal and shit to 285$

now its 63$!!!! (grrr....)

all just liability.
my own insurance, since i was 19. full G license @ 18 .

if it were not for the *accident* i would be paying 180$/month for my e30.

and belair would not do that....they cant even insure RHD cars because there is not enough information on them....

blk3
01-20-2010, 12:20 AM
think thats bad, im 31 with two tickets on my record (10 over no points) and my e36 with everything but collision, 300 deductable costs me 230 a month. b.s i have this rate for a year til those two tickets come off my record

Darkness95m3
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I took out my 540. Went to see Avitar in Burlington. Parking lot was dark and backed into a curb, damaged my lower rear faring....Grrrrrrrr

Expensive movie for me, having said that Wow what a great movie.

arek
01-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I drive my M5 in the winter

:)

dble Trouble
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
^^ I would too if I had an M5, awesome car

Razkal
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I drive my M3 all yr round. Since my first BMW and now onto my 4th, I have always said if it was not meant to be driven in winter, they would not have heated seats. :) I can't imagine driving a crappy beater in winter with my young son in the car when I would rather be driving something much safer and more reliable. That's just me... to each their own... 18" staggered blizzaks and LSD is pretty safe, it's hard for me to make this car slide out...

davericher20
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
it was a bitch for me to insure mine. They wanted me to change the VIN number...? anyhoo, 26 years old, 2 cars $340/month. don't drive the bmw in the winter so it goes to $150/month

my bmw is an '89 my impala is an '06. go figure.

and I used to start it once a month over the winters for the past 2 years, then I realized that it's worse to do that than not start it at all if it's not at running temp.

And then I noticed the milky oil

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104825

changed the oil and there was no issue.

Eurotakeover
01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
i cant take mine out even if i wanted to. Stupid slave cylinder...

kevin325
01-21-2010, 06:24 PM
I drive my M3 all yr round. Since my first BMW and now onto my 4th, I have always said if it was not meant to be driven in winter, they would not have heated seats. :) I can't imagine driving a crappy beater in winter with my young son in the car when I would rather be driving something much safer and more reliable. That's just me... to each their own... 18" staggered blizzaks and LSD is pretty safe, it's hard for me to make this car slide out...

me and you both Sanj! Good seeing you yesterday brother.

Ps. check your email.

europrince
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
There are still dry salt particles on the road that your tires dig up and cars in front of you kick onto your hood and windshield. If you are storing your car for the winter, it is utterly stupid to take it out for a spin just because the roads are dry. If your car is a year round dd, who cares. Otherwise, don't be so short sighted.

Dammerung
01-22-2010, 01:44 AM
There are still dry salt particles on the road that your tires dig up and cars in front of you kick onto your hood and windshield. If you are storing your car for the winter, it is utterly stupid to take it out for a spin just because the roads are dry. If your car is a year round dd, who cares. Otherwise, don't be so short sighted.

well ofcourse you gotta give it a wash after the drive before you put it back in storage...

europrince
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
well ofcourse you gotta give it a wash after the drive before you put it back in storage...

That's a lot of work just to take a care out for a spin on a dry winter day.

Dammerung
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
That's a lot of work just to take a care out for a spin on a dry winter day.

well wen you love your bimmer...its not that much work... i gess it depends from person to person...you can always put it in the touchless wash for like 10 dollars...

davericher20
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
^^touchless wash......

(shudders)

Dammerung
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
shudders..lol....atleast itll clean up the salt

TitansilberM
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
You guys are weak! Putting your car away for the winter makes you appreciate summer more and the car. For myself, pulling the car out on the first good day of spring feels the same as when I first pulled it off the lot *love*

dbworld4k
01-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I needed to move mine in the garage, so I.. umm.. *eh-em* took it for another 30 min rip just to warm everything up lol.

Stephanie
01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I needed to move mine in the garage, so I.. umm.. *eh-em* took it for another 30 min rip just to warm everything up lol.

...And then felt the need to text me at work to tell me about it and make me uberjealous.

Yea. Thanks so much for that. *thmbsdwn*

nickdaytona
01-23-2010, 03:04 PM
The "new" 740 is still in Utah and both '02s are in different stages of reconstruction but I'm pulling out my Skyline today for a rip ! Not worried about salt/sand because it'll be sprayed when it comes back. Due for bodywork this spring anyway.

Can't wait for the 740 !

dbworld4k
01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
...And then felt the need to text me at work to tell me about it and make me uberjealous.

Yea. Thanks so much for that. *thmbsdwn*

Anytime, pusscake! Anytime... *th-up*

dru2
01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Been taking mine out every weekend, seems like there's never any snow on the ground on Saturdays.

Manimillion
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I get my dog to take the keys of my cars and dig them in the backyard. And then in the spring he brings them back to me.

true story!

doogee
01-24-2010, 12:25 AM
I drive mine every dry day I get.