PDA

View Full Version : Import odyssey blog for my 740iL

nickdaytona
01-15-2010, 08:14 AM
I just bought a '97 740iL from utah on Ebay and I will be posting the whole process as it happens, from sale to transport to customs. I've imported before but not from so far away that i couldn't go pick it up so it hopefully will be a good experience that some of you on here can learn from !

We' start off with the link to the Ebay auction that i won.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180453496431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/gtrtt/740.jpg

Bullet Ride
01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Congrats!

The auction didn't have any pics of under the hood?

Dado 540
01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Wait a minute. People buy cars without test driving it first?

Darkness95m3
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Sweet, my fav 7 series.

propr'one
01-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Yep.

I bought my 325iX from south dakota having never seen it for 1200$.

Turns out it came with
-Extra set of shocks/struts (sold 350$, car now cost 850$)
-Extra set of headlights (sold 20$, car now cost 870$)
-Extra set of pads/rotors (sold 200$, car now cost 670$)
-Enkei wing (Ugly as shit, no one wants to buy it)
-UUC slotted/cross drilled rotors
-PBR pads all around
-Stainless steel brake lines
-Upgraded UUC rear sway bar
-Chip/injectors (Sold, 150, car now cost 520$)

The car of course did have problems, but considering the parts i sold off the car cost me about 500$, + 300 in taxes, and 300$ in gas, and as soon as i brought it back someone offered me 5K for it.

Buying cars from ebay isn't a bad idea. Its a GAMBLE.

If you're unwilling to gamble, dont play. If you are, do it, you might win or lose!

To the OP. Remember, title 3 BUISNESS days before crossing the border. Call and confirm their receipt AND call to confirm you're all set before you travel.

The office closes at 4, you have to get to the border before then. Stop at the US export office BEFORE you cross the border. (at queenston lewiston, its on the left of the duty free (look for the red door).

Good luck!

nickdaytona
01-16-2010, 12:37 AM
"Props" to you for the good advice,sir! I've done the border dance may times and know the good points ( and lousy ) from experience. 3 days in lewiston means 3 business days from 8-4 Monday to Friday (weekends not included). In Mich. 3 days means 72 hours from when you drop it off (AWESOME!! ) .
Crazy the way it plays out.

And yes, sometimes it takes a leap of faith ( and brass balls, baby ! ) to buy sight unseen but hey, for less than $4K it 's a decent couch if it doesen't run ( LOL ).

Details to follow..

DAM
01-16-2010, 12:52 AM
damn, that thing's clean. great buy

740-iLL
01-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Nice buy. Bookmark www.E38.org for most DIY's

propr'one
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you know what you're doing dude! Good luck!

Try not to get arrested on the canadian side after you import the car (wasn't car related:()

nickdaytona
01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Nice buy. Bookmark www.E38.org for most DIY's

Thanks ! I'm hoping ( but not expecting) maintanence items like brakes , etc. are in decent shape. the less I have to do the better it'll be.
( I bought my skyline from a dodgy parts import place in T.O. knowing the turbos were kacked and when I brought it home and started to deconstruct I found about $9K worth of HKS aftermarket on it - would be great if it was like that again !! )

Nick_V
01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Great idea! Can't wait to read about this. I've wanted to import cars in the past felt like it was too much hassle. Maybe this will change my mind. So many gems to be found down there.....

nickdaytona
01-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Great idea. So many gems to be found down there.....

You don't know the half of it......

Bought his at the Auburn indiana Cruse auction in September. it is 10 times better in person than it is in the picture (and I know how good it looks in the picture ). there is easily $70K in this car and I won't say what I got it for but the best descriptive would be "obscene"

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/gtrtt/AuburnwithGlenRuth063.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/gtrtt/AubernwithGlenRuth065.jpg

careless7
01-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Couldn't you find one locally with 250,000km and for the same price all in?

nickdaytona
01-17-2010, 01:44 AM

Maybe, but probably not as pretty as this one. By the time it gets to me it'll still be under $5K and locally there's nothing under $8K thats even close .

GTR? Nice ! Looks like we have common ground (or cars at least!)

nickdaytona
01-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Hey where are the bullrun stickers, Z?

Darkness95m3
01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

I bought my 95 M3 from Arizona about 10 years ago. No test drive! Drove with my buddy in my E350 with a trailer in tow.

We arrived in Phoenix Arizona early in the morning. Next day we drove to see the car. Drove it around the block, SOLD!

After the paper work was done we were going to load the car on to the trailer. Turn the ignition and she would not start. Fuel pump! Oh well, we pushed it on the trailer and we were home bound.

careless7
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Maybe, but probably not as pretty as this one. By the time it gets to me it'll still be under $5K and locally there's nothing under $8K thats even close .

GTR? Nice ! Looks like we have common ground (or cars at least!)

Ya I was gonna say you have good taste in cars LOL. The Bullrun promo was just for 2007 when I did the launch.

Same for bikes I'm more of a late 80s early 90s fan...give me an FZR750 or oldskool GiXXeR anyday..or 2-stroke GP bikes like the RZ500!

On another note there is a clean 2000 740i Sport black on black w/nav in the Trader right now with only 136km for $9995...smokin deal!

slemmer
01-20-2010, 01:13 AM
All the reason to keep my 7. Can't find another car like it for that price that's built well and drives great.

lvan
01-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Yep.

To the OP. Remember, title 3 BUISNESS days before crossing the border. Call and confirm their receipt AND call to confirm you're all set before you travel.

Good luck!

What do mean title . business days? You mean stay in the usa for 3 days somewhere before you head down to the border? Like be more spe please.

nickdaytona
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I can explain that for you , Ivan.

When you purchase a vehicle in the US for import you have to supply the US side of the border ( we'll call them US Customs) with a copy of the title ( ownership) 3 days before you bring the car etc. to the border. That gives them time to run the VIN and make sure its not stolen etc. Canada customs doesn't do this, but hey, it keeps more US guys working. In most states there is a fax # you can fax the title copy to. N.Y. however, changes their # or won't give it out so you literally have to go to the border and drop it off, getting a stamp on your copy as well in case they lose it ( Don't ASK ME HOW I KNOW ).

The reason things get "lost" and fax #'s don't work is because ultimately they don't want you to import your own car and want you to go through a broker. there is nothing worse than bringing you trailer to the border only to have the US customs guy go " nope, title check not here, come back in 3 days" at which point you have to find somewhere to put it ($).

Michigan - YES !!
N.Y.- Ugh !!

Been done over twice ( I know , second time shame on me ! )

Hope this helps explain things.

lvan
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Thank you sir. I appreciate it.

Now as it goes for the smog test, I am assuming if it passed their smog test, it would be okay that it would pass it here in Ontario.

Btw is that BMW letter and recall thing still in force. I hope you did not have to pay for that.

arek
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Last time i brought over a car, i went straight to Canada customs, paid my taxes and drove home..

It was 6:00pm, and the US side that takes care of that issue, were closed.

Drove the next morning, just to stay 'legit' .. didnt want any problems.

hockeyfan27
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Last time i brought over a car, i went straight to Canada customs, paid my taxes and drove home..

It was 6:00pm, and the US side that takes care of that issue, were closed.

Drove the next morning, just to stay 'legit' .. didnt want any problems.

Sorry, can you clarify? Do you mean you drove back to US customs to complete paperwork with them the next morning?

lvan
01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
How did that work out money wise. Ten years ago they dollar was on a high side.

I bought my 95 M3 from Arizona about 10 years ago. No test drive! Drove with my buddy in my E350 with a trailer in tow.

We arrived in Phoenix Arizona early in the morning. Next day we drove to see the car. Drove it around the block, SOLD!

After the paper work was done we were going to load the car on to the trailer. Turn the ignition and she would not start. Fuel pump! Oh well, we pushed it on the trailer and we were home bound.

arek
01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry, can you clarify? Do you mean you drove back to US customs to complete paperwork with them the next morning?

Yes.

It was my first time importing a vehicle, i was really late... and I had no gasoline left in the tank ( on empty..)

I KNEW that I would have to go to US Customs, and declare the car.. right?

Well, here is the kicker..

As soon as I got to the border, it took me straight to the Canadian section, since of course.. you are entering canada right? :) Guy at the gate asked me what I bought, I told him (this car).. Asked me where, and how much, and told me to proceed to the building on the left.

Went there, and was greeted by 2 obese humourless souls that work for Canada Customs, they asked me the same questions, I showed them the bill of sale, the title of the vehicle, they forwared me to a booth to pay my taxes.. and I went on my merry way home after going through the 3rd toll where he verified some papers.

NOONE told me to go to US CUSTOMS, nobody even ASKED.. nobody gave a shit!

But I realized it was a requirement, I wanted the United states to officially know that I exported the car from their country.. so I woke up the next day early in the morning, and drove down and told the american at the gate what happened.. They were pretty cool :)

Kal
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
subscribed.

I am also contemplating buying a (damaged) bmw from the states. I would love to see how the process goes for you.

nickdaytona
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Ya I was gonna say you have good taste in cars LOL. The Bullrun promo was just for 2007 when I did the launch.

Same for bikes I'm more of a late 80s early 90s fan...give me an FZR750 or oldskool GiXXeR anyday..or 2-stroke GP bikes like the RZ500!

On another note there is a clean 2000 740i Sport black on black w/nav in the Trader right now with only 136km for $9995...smokin deal!

hey dave ! I'm hijacking my own thread !!

I have a Stage 3 Dynojet/ Supertrapp Gixxer 1100 ( 1988) that has been mine for the last 7 years in tight shape ( seriously ), for $2200
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/gtrtt/yellowgsxr1100.jpg

BACK TO IMPORT THREAD NEXT POST !!

lvan
01-21-2010, 07:50 AM
What you guys think about cars from NC/North Carolina? Is the rust an issue?

nickdaytona
01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
subscribed.

I am also contemplating buying a (damaged) bmw from the states. I would love to see how the process goes for you.

Different rules for salvage vehicles, Kal. Check RIV.ca for all the nuances and requirements!

nickdaytona
01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Don't know enough on that area of the US to give you an informed opinion, Ivan .

I'd go lurking on the US website to find that out.

careless7
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
hey dave ! I'm hijacking my own thread !!

I have a Stage 3 Dynojet/ Supertrapp Gixxer 1100 ( 1988) that has been mine for the last 7 years in tight shape ( seriously ), for $2200
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/gtrtt/yellowgsxr1100.jpg!

OMFG that thing is badass, why are you doing this to me?! That is so cheap for an old shool bike that will slap down much newer ones.

nickdaytona
01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Car's all paid for and the paperwork has been e-mailed to me. Now it's waiting for one of the transport companies to pick it up and drive it to N.Y. for me. So far the company, called Ecarsnow, has been great making sure that there are no taxable charges on the invoice ( except the car sale itself ) and they have answered all questions quickly and accurately. I'm ever hopeful that the car is everything It looks to be.