PDA

View Full Version : Car vibrates under load

harman_rai
01-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey guys i need some help.
I have a 05 325Xi automatic and it starts to shake under load when i am on the highway for more than about 70km straight. If im crusing its fine no shaking, but when i press the gas pedal to speed up or if im going up a hill, its shakes. I thought it was the engine or tranny at high rpms but i down shifted to make the rpm go higher and it didnt shake, but as soon as i pressed the gas pedal it started to shake. And it only happens when im driving on the highway for an extended period of time.
Anyone know what the problem is?

nachos23
01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
working the same issue with my 2004 330Xi @ the moment. I found I had 2 broken engine mounts (passanger side completely done; will try to post video) and driver's side gone, but still supporting somewhat. Eliminated alot of the vibration I was feeeling, but sill have some under load (used to vibrate when downshifting too; engine mounts). Going to be going over entire driveshaft and half-shaft assemblies this weekend to try and narrow down. Mine seems to be predominantly on the passanger side although I feel the vibrations @ my feet.... Same scenario.... have to be driving for awhile for the problem to ocurr. Did have a bad inner CV boot on drivers side which was re-packed (that's when we noticed the dead engine mounts)... Tranny mounts look good so far. I'm thinking hanger, mounting bushing, or possible the bushings between sections of the driveshaft.....

nachos23
01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FelH1Fr6CzQ

harman_rai
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
thanks for the pics, i made an appointment with Rocco for Tuesday, so ill see what has to be fixed

///Maluco
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
it sounds like a driveshaft related symptom. Possibly a center hanger bearing or guibo...

parm
01-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Nachos23 I didn't know you get you hands dirty! *wave*
I still owe you a beer.

nachos23
01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
absolutely!! I do ALL my own work. Check out the sitty youtube video I did from my BB phone (at top of post)..... I'll take that beer anytime..... Not only that, but I've now got my garage setup to the work here now too!!!

When to London today to pick-up OE rear deck spoiler for dirt cheap!! Vibrations started about 1/2 way there. Convinced it's outter CV joint (was popping quite badly @ low speed left turns) by the time I got there...... on right side and both inner CV joints..... Going to be replacing both front drive shafts in next week or so. Your vibration is likely casued by bad inner CV joints... one or both. Look for torn or bad CV boots or CV boot leakage.....