PDA

View Full Version : drained battery help!

alpine86
01-09-2010, 10:05 PM
hey guys how is everything going?

I parked my car in the garage and it's pretty much cold as outside.

My condo garage is basically same temperature as outside...

Today when I try to unlock the door my alarm starts to ring.

My remote was working fine but since my car doesn't have juice to unlock the door via remote control.

Luckly someone parked next to me had a jump booster but that helped my electronics working fine but didn't have enough juice to start my car.

Is this normal when I park outside at this kinds of weather?

Or is there something wrong with my battery? I replaced my battery a year ago and I want to know if this is normal....

please help!

aaron320i
01-10-2010, 01:07 AM
There is most likely a draw somewhere, then again theres alot to diagnose esp. if you couldn't start the car on boost

Eurostyle
01-10-2010, 01:50 AM
For sure not normal! Its cold, but not that cold! Unless you have a problem, you should be starting fine...Check starter or connections, bad grounds etc. With a boost it SHOULD be starting right away!

alpine86
01-10-2010, 01:57 AM
which battery is durable in winter? I think I might need to change the battery.

Optima??

aaron320i
01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Id go for an interstate. Always found that it had great cold cranking amperage and lasts long.

alpine86
01-10-2010, 02:01 AM
In case I need a new battery, pleaes suggest me a good battery especially for winter use. During winter time I always had this kinds of problem.

When it's cold, can't start the car.

When my car connects to a mobile booster it makes tic tic noise. Guess that mobile booster didn't have enough juice to start my car.

Eurostyle
01-10-2010, 02:03 AM
which battery is durable in winter? I think I might need to change the battery.

Optima??

ANY new battery should last more then a year! Check if you still have warranty on it, most likely you should...if this is the problem, get it replaced!

I think Canadian Tire does free battery testing, so bring it in, they should be able to check it. *th-up*

Ceeker
01-10-2010, 07:21 AM
All batteries come from a couple sources made by a few manufacturers. They just stick different labels on them. I would say you should get the battery tested first as suggested. there is no point in bandaiding the situation if it's something else causing the drain. I had a similar problem; check for any draw; ground short from body to motor, from alt to engine. Bmw's are known for battery drain. To many electronics on board. Newer cars have a power interupt to prevent this from happening while the car is parked or sitting for a long time. as mentioned check warranty- you can get it pro rated so at least you can get some money back on it if the battery is bad.

alpine86
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
I purchased this battery like a year ago from Part source in Etobicoke.

Now I have to find my receipt....

Are they going to check my battery before they give me a new one?

This starting problem happens only in winter time. Never ever had a problem during summer - fall.

Maybe my battery is weak in winter... cuz when I try to unlock the door with a remote my car didn't even had a power to unlock.

Then my alarm rang...

Ceeker
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I purchased this battery like a year ago from Part source in Etobicoke.

Now I have to find my receipt....

Are they going to check my battery before they give me a new one?

This starting problem happens only in winter time. Never ever had a problem during summer - fall.

Maybe my battery is weak in winter... cuz when I try to unlock the door with a remote my car didn't even had a power to unlock.

Then my alarm rang...

They will most likely test it first and if it is faulty may replace it pro bono.
If not they'll give you a prorated refund on it. take the months off which you have owned it and give you the value of that, and then the balance of that can go towards another battery. In the mean time; why this is only happening in the winter is because the cold draws more on the battery then summer months. Heat makes everything work more smoothly. Cold contracts everything and makes everything harder to move- this include battery power.
Check your electrical system for a draw or short as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Qube
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Just replaced with a Motomaster Eliminator. Gobs of CCA, reasonable price.

slemmer
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Costo is now selling their private label brand of batteries for autos (Kirkland). Don't know if they're any good.