PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good shop that does auto to manual swaps?

Prash
01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Need a shop with experience doing this kind of job. I can source the parts from wreckers etc myself if I have to.

I just need a reliable shop that can do the job. I've talked to RMP and Bimmersport. RMP doesn't like installing used parts and Bimmersport is fully booked till February sometime.

Any help would be much appreciated!

TIA.

NOTORIOUS VR
01-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Call Bimmersport or RMP... both are competent shops held in high regard for BMW's.

dbworld4k
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
^Did you even read the whole post? OP already contacted those two.

Dr. Flyview
01-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Rocco knows what he's talking about. He'll do he job right.

Eurostyle
01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
CLEARLY NOBODY reads the original post befor relying!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check out Techmax, they should be able to do it.

P.S. So to do a swap they expect you to buy a brand new transmission!?
That would be a nice $7K+ job! ROLF...:D

NOTORIOUS VR
01-09-2010, 12:08 AM
^Did you even read the whole post? OP already contacted those two.

I must have completely skimmed over that part lol... wow...

Prash
01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you for all responses recommending RMP and Bimmersport. :moon:

Techmax guys told me to sell the car. But Randy put me onto Rob at AutoEvolution. I'm going to see him during the week and get the job rolling. *th-up*

blk325i
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Thank you for all responses recommending RMP and Bimmersport. :moon:

Techmax guys told me to sell the car. But Randy put me onto Rob at AutoEvolution. I'm going to see him during the week and get the job rolling. *th-up*

Rob's a great guy, he'll take good care of your car and he definitly knows what he's doing

Fel
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM
lol... way to read the thread guys... :rolleyes:

propr'one
01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Umm, what?

Who did you talk to at RMP? Rocco wouldn't tell you to buy a new tranny if you were doing a manu-swap. (He may tell you to buy a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flex disk, tranny mounts, etc.)

dbworld4k
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Rob @ AutoEvolution does FANTASTIC work btw. Amazing service on scheduled times. He even put me up with a rental while I had some overnight work done to my E46!

spoony_prelude
01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
CLEARLY NOBODY reads the original post befor relying!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Check out Techmax, they should be able to do it.

P.S. So to do a swap they expect you to buy a brand new transmission!?
That would be a nice $7K+ job! ROLF...:D

No Phil, Im sure by Rocco saying he doesnt like installing old parts its because, a month down the road when a slave cylinder goes, the guy wont come back saying wtf you did the swap a month ago and now my cars ****ed!

I know you supply a lot of used parts to Bimmersport but why always the negativity towards RMP?

Jay

Dr. Flyview
01-09-2010, 06:47 PM
^^ +1. Ask the right people and you'll hear some thing that aren't allowed on this forum either.

Eurostyle
01-09-2010, 11:26 PM
No Phil, Im sure by Rocco saying he doesnt like installing old parts its because, a month down the road when a slave cylinder goes, the guy wont come back saying wtf you did the swap a month ago and now my cars ****ed!

I know you supply a lot of used parts to Bimmersport but why always the negativity towards RMP?

Jay

For the record i also supply used parts to RMP and his customers when they are needed! So it was just wondering since it sounded very funny!

Not as funny as Techmax saying customer should sell the car tho! (i also supply them when needed, so not putting anyone down!)*wave*

e30bim
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Without a doubt get Rob at Auto Evolution to do this job. Not only does he know BMW's, his own personal car he's owned for 8 or so years now is an E34!

He'll take care of you and do the job RIGHT the first time. I had bimmersport do a conversion for me and they didn't change a few seals that should of been done or at least offered at an additional price to be done.

Need a shop with experience doing this kind of job. I can source the parts from wreckers etc myself if I have to.

I just need a reliable shop that can do the job. I've talked to RMP and Bimmersport. RMP doesn't like installing used parts and Bimmersport is fully booked till February sometime.

Any help would be much appreciated!

TIA.

diezel06turk
01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
just wait till feb and get bimmersport to do it

INFAMOU$
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd do it.. but I'm a little busy at the moment :D

xlash
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Diy???

vladvm
01-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe too much headache to swap, trade for a manual car might be a better deal here.

rwdlover
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I actually tried a swap on a Non BMW car. It was crazy amount of work.
Spent about 22 hours doing the job and that was a very basic car.

…………….The only way you should do this swap is if it’s cheap but done right or you love the car and want to keep it around a long time.

It was a bunch of DIY’s all put together…. Like Clutch Job, Starter motor replacement, valve cover gasket replacement, driveshaft replacement, transmission mount replacement, short shifter install. The rest was researched using a service manual like Bentley’s.

When I did my swap I sourced the following parts……………..

5 Speed Tranny, 3 Pedal assembly, clutch cable, adjustor guide at firewall, Manual Driveshaft, Manual Transmission mount & brace, Flywheel from Manual car, Starter from Manual Car, Release Bearing (new), Clutch (new), Manual Shifter & Boot, Some Interior pieces.

I basically drove the car up on car ramps, left the engine in, but started removing parts. The large plastic car ramps from Pep Boys was the best tool i bought for the job.

The hardest part of the job was removing the automatic car’s flexplate/flywheel. I had to use a cam gear and a peg to stop the motor from rolling, and used an impact gun with a very good socket at the end. Don’t strip the bolts on the flywheel, or you’re screwed. They are very low profile.

I didn’t bother with the manual safety switch, so I just shorted the wires. Install looks clean though, even with modified transmission support.

…. And yes……. It does run. Used it all summer.

Prash
02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Rob @ AutoEvolution does FANTASTIC work btw. Amazing service on scheduled times. He even put me up with a rental while I had some overnight work done to my E46!

Without a doubt get Rob at Auto Evolution to do this job. Not only does he know BMW's, his own personal car he's owned for 8 or so years now is an E34!

He'll take care of you and do the job RIGHT the first time. I had bimmersport do a conversion for me and they didn't change a few seals that should of been done or at least offered at an additional price to be done.

Well, here's my update regarding this swap. I really don't know what to do at this point so any good advice would be much appreciated.

I ordered the 6spd and had it delivered to his shop about 5 weeks ago. We've talked several times over the past month and he told me that the car is done and just needs a driveshaft from an E34 6spd which I sourced for him.

Since I have no way of going down to his shop to see progress on the car I take his word for it. Anyway, his phone got disconnected today which got me real suspect, so I head down to the shop. Turns out he's been lying to me the whole time and my car has just been sitting there rotting in the back of his lot.

My car means a lot to me and I need to get it back on the road. I've been as patient as I possibly can with Rob. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I really don't like catching guys lying to me when I'm just an honest customer trying to get his car fixed.

ACS_DAN
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Sucks to hear.

So you have everything needed to do the swap? I may be able to help you out.

5JABIJ8
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Sucks to hear.

So you have everything needed to do the swap? I may be able to help you out.

Hey Dan, Im sure we can pull this full swap off for him. close the deal with him and you can use my hoist. let make some $$$:cool:

davericher20
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
ooooh, bad rep for Rob............that's a deal-breaker for me right there.

matty.dc
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I talked to RMP and they said nothing about not installing used parts on my e30.

4WDFUN
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Well, here's my update regarding this swap. I really don't know what to do at this point so any good advice would be much appreciated.

I ordered the 6spd and had it delivered to his shop about 5 weeks ago. We've talked several times over the past month and he told me that the car is done and just needs a driveshaft from an E34 6spd which I sourced for him.

Since I have no way of going down to his shop to see progress on the car I take his word for it. Anyway, his phone got disconnected today which got me real suspect, so I head down to the shop. Turns out he's been lying to me the whole time and my car has just been sitting there rotting in the back of his lot.

My car means a lot to me and I need to get it back on the road. I've been as patient as I possibly can with Rob. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I really don't like catching guys lying to me when I'm just an honest customer trying to get his car fixed.

Hey Prash, its Adam's friend. I can't believe that they would lie to you like this. If they lied to me like that, I'd go ape shit on them.
Autoevolution will never hear me say a good word about them after they pull stunt like this.

Another BM
02-23-2010, 09:45 AM
that really sucks.. its even worse you had to drive down there to find out your car has been ignored... i dont understand what this guys plan was.
But either way if e30bim ever recommends something.. Stay far away and do the opposite