PDA

View Full Version : How to clean off oil patches on the driveway

PrettyFreddy
01-01-2010, 08:42 PM
How to clean off oil patches on the driveway?

One of my cars is leaking oil onto my driveway. (I'll get the leaks repaired soon). I should have attended to it early on but I didnt, and now my driveway is a total eyesore to me and to my neighbours.

Does anyone know how to effectively clean off oil patches on the driveway? A friend said to use cat litter but that's for fresh oil spills.

Im thinking of asphalt redressing my driveway in the spring. Would that completely cover the oil patches or would it still be noticeable? Thx

Dado 540
01-01-2010, 10:02 PM
If you do asphalt coating make sure you get it done professionaly. I seen alot of driveways that have coating wash off on certain sections, and you can see the roller marks. Looks nasty! It gotta be that heated stuff taht they spray on, if you want it to last.

hustler
01-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Engine cleaner, then soap.

Edit, on a sealed driveway the engine cleaner will lift the oil, then the dish soap will remove the residue from the engine cleaner. Good luck on a unsealed driveway.

cocacola bob
01-01-2010, 11:15 PM
use brake clean the spray then rinse with water, on fresh spills try high concentrations of dishwashing soap mixed with water rub in with disposable towels paper whatever, then rinse with garden hose

Dado 540
01-01-2010, 11:19 PM
brake cleaner or dish soap will not work

PrettyFreddy
01-02-2010, 01:06 PM
It was sealed eons ago and has already faded and looks as pale as Conan Obrien. I guess asphalt coating ftw ?
There must be a product out there specifically for cleaning off oil patches.

tg07lq
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
tsp works well ? ive used that to clean some messes up before onlt 5 bucks from wally world and its great around the house