PDA

View Full Version : need help!! got rear ended (Dec.31st of 2009)

alpine86
01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
hey guys..

First of all happy new year!

Yesterday night around 9pm me and my gf were heading to the restaurant and I was stop at the red light on Avenue Rd. (avenue and St.Clair)

Then a lady driver rear ended my car. This is my first time got into the accident and good that at least it's not my fault.

She kept saying that she is late for the dinner and she claims that she is a nurse .

I got her insurance information, car plate number, home and work phone number.

Here is the damage. She asked me to call her first to give her estimate before I call her insurance company. I think she wants to settle this with cash.

Now what should I do? Since it's not my fault and damage doesn't seem big so should I just get the estimate from BMW dealership and ask her if she still wants to settle with cash?

Looks like my bumper needs repaint and realigned.

For the estimate where should I take my car? dealership or local body shop?

I know this is a big hassle from beginning of the year and I want to know how much compensate that I need to get from her. I am not trying to rip her off but since I need to spend my time to travel 1-2 bodyshops and I need to leave my car there for several days. Probably I need a rental car as well.

Any suggestion?

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/iloveu86/DSC00555.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/iloveu86/DSC00558.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/iloveu86/DSC00562.jpg

325isStephen
01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I would settle it cash if she's willing to do so. Regardless if its you're fault or not it doesn't look good on your insurance to mention it to them, it will also show up when the VIN is searched so thats another thing to think about.

fadi03325i
01-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I've been through this process before, the best way to do this is as follows -

1. Go to a BMW dealership and get a quote, if you have time also get one or two quotes from an independent body shop. Make sure you include the price of a car rental because the repair process will take at least 2 days.

2. Send this lady all the information and tell her which bodyshop you would prefer to use.

3. Get the money from her upfront and go get your car fixed.

4. If she decides to change her mind and claim it is too expensive (good possiblity because this will not be a cheap fix), call your insurance company ASAP - they will ask you why you waited so long to tell them so make sure you have a clear explanantion,

5. If you do get this fixed through your insurance it will be a no fault claim because you got rear ended. It will NOT affect your insurance rate whatsoever, but it will be in your insurance record/file.

Good Luck!

Good Luck,

T.Dot_E30
01-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Time for an mpackaged rear bumper.

hustler
01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree, get a couple of quotes on Monday, and tell the lady she has to decide. If she seems flaky about paying, tell her it's now or call insurance. They don't like hearing it's been a week since the collision.

W2WDETAILING
01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
she hit you.. its a bmw not a honda bumpers are not cheap and the rebar behind the skin can be expensive. i was in the same predicament last year this time i clipped a car that rolled into an intersection he was yelling at me ect he also made a false claim, that i went thru a red and he had a witness. " all fake"i was at the reporting center while he filed his false report. i made the person aware and it was noted my insurance found him at fault i didnt even bother getting my scratched rim refinished. you have to report it i think you have a 48hr window! dont sleep on it to long. give her options you want a quote from bmw.. then you want to show it to her and ask for the money or go to insurance.

Eurostyle
01-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Looks like an aftermarket bumper, and the damage is minimal....If you get a few hundred $$$ out of her, should be good to have it fixed. If you go to BMW, you are sure to get an estimate of $1000-1500, wich i doubt she would pay!

molotova
01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
On way back to Hamilton this morning off the highway on 403 got into a collision at the first light on main st. Some lady trying to make a left turn while i was doing 60 on the extreme left lane. She never look behind just overtook all 4 lanes and rammed into me. Just like you we exchanged all information but never been in any kinda of accident before. I know i gotta go report the collision tomorrow still but dont know what next from there. will love to hear from anyone with related experience.

lgb240
01-02-2010, 08:19 AM
alpine86 - get a police report ASAP, then call your insurance company and let them deal with it. It's what you pay them large insurance premiums to do. You were rear ended, it's not your fault. It will save you a large PITA trying to broker your fix and getting payment from the person that hit you. I'm sure that your nurse freind will not be willing to hand over a couple of grand out of pocket to fix your car.

The black E30 looks like a write -off ... unfortunately the cost of the fix will probably exceed the value of the car.

I'm hoping that no one was hurt in either crash ...

Happy New Year...all the best...

lgb240

molotova
01-02-2010, 03:02 PM
No one was hurt i was alone at dat time and thx man i just followed what you said and its all done now

spoony_prelude
01-03-2010, 12:28 PM
y do u need to go to a bmw dealership? Why not go to a reputable bodyshop instead? your car isnt brand new, so I dont see the need to take it to bmw where u know they will charge her a rediculous amount of work. there is a huge selection of used parts on this forum. If you go through the dealership youll just be screwing her over while it seems shes trying to make it easier on both sides.

Jay

Euro_7
01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
molotova guess we both weren't so lucky

On way back to Hamilton this morning off the highway on 403 got into a collision at the first light on main st. Some lady trying to make a left turn while i was doing 60 on the extreme left lane. She never look behind just overtook all 4 lanes and rammed into me. Just like you we exchanged all information but never been in any kinda of accident before. I know i gotta go report the collision tomorrow still but dont know what next from there. will love to hear from anyone with related experience.

Guess all 3 of us were not so lucky. My parents car got hit by a car that ran a red doing 140. The car hit 4 other vehicles and a bus. Most importantly though everyone is alive.

M3ti Compact
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
alpine86 - get a police report ASAP, then call your insurance company and let them deal with it. It's what you pay them large insurance premiums to do. You were rear ended, it's not your fault. It will save you a large PITA trying to broker your fix and getting payment from the person that hit you. I'm sure that your nurse freind will not be willing to hand over a couple of grand out of pocket to fix your car.

lgb240

The lady is trying to save both parties the aggrivation of going through the insurance company! If she is willing to pay cash for you to bring the car to the shop you want, GO FOR IT. Only go through insurance as the last resort (ie. she doesn't pay upfront, wants you to go to their "friends place").

If you go through insurance, even though it's a "no fault" claim, you still get a record. Then you have to go to the repair shop your insurance company specifies, which might replace things with cheap aftermarket parts.

Lucky the lady wasn't driving a company car or something that would require you to go through insurance- and is willing to pay you.

I made the mistake of calling the insurance company for a no fault accident before because of the same advice someone gave me (your not at fault- let insurance handle it). The insurance body shop wanted to replace the fender with an obviously cheap aftermarket- and had to wait a week for the part to come in. Luckily, the other party came forward and offered cash up front- I brought the car to my own trusted shop- used genuine parts, fixed within a day. I did NOT make a claim, but get this, still got an accident record- which I only found out about when I wanted to change insurance companies.

Avoid insurance at ALL COSTS.

Eurostyle
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I did NOT make a claim, but get this, still got an accident record- which I only found out about when I wanted to change insurance companies.

Its sad but true!!! We pay so much $$$ for insurance, but have to avoid using it at all cost!!!:mad:

pearl_iroc
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
dont post here much but thought I d drop in my 2 cents.

the same thing happened to me in November, went right away and reported it to police. I had a small puncture in my bumper from her license plate screw and the bumper was out of alignment and some scuffs. So she (17) driving moms car says lets not go through insurance she will pay, so the next day I went to European Auto Body got a quote told me it would take a few days, called her up gave the quote to her, but told her I would need a rental and since she lived in Cambridge and I'm in Toronto I'd rather go through insurance, since I don't have the time to deal with this (getting the money, risk of getting screwed over etc) plus you don't really know whats broken underneath until they take off the bumper. And you cant go back and say I need more money lol

So I called my insurance told them what happened they said European Auto Body is OK with them (they would prefer me to go to one of their shops though), I meet the adjuster he takes pics of the car and the work starts within hours, I get a rental and on my way home I get a call from my insurance and the lady sounds pissed, she asks me if it was really ME that hit her? I said no I was stopped for the streetcar and she hit me, look at the pics you can see there is no other damage to the car than that one spot and the bumper is pushed out on both sides, she says ok because the girl is saying you stopped let to let out a friend and while you were parking, reversed into her!! I said no look at the pics and I have a police report.

long story short insurance got to the bottom of it, European Auto Body did a awesome job and I avoided getting screwed over because I had a Police Report and I went through insurance.

alpine86
01-03-2010, 10:59 PM
thanks for your replies guys.

My question is I did reported to the police but didn't call insurance company.

Do I get a record on my insurance or car history?

Seriously this is funny as hell since I need to go thru this hassle but I am not the one who caused this.

pearl_iroc
01-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I believe once you report it, insurance is notified, not of the details but that there was a report, because when I called insurance, they knew the date and time and I was hit from behind, but nothing else.

damameke
01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
thanks for your replies guys.

My question is I did reported to the police but didn't call insurance company.

Do I get a record on my insurance or car history?

Seriously this is funny as hell since I need to go thru this hassle but I am not the one who caused this.

Collision caused alot of inconvenience, since it is not your fault.. let the insurance take care of it, so what if the car has an "accident record", its not a brand new car .. is it? If it is I can see the depreciated value...

Also, your insurance company will get you a rental if the car is in the shop.. wil that lady pays for rental too?; if you settle out of insurance....

alpine86
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
alright, i went to 4 bodyshops today.

They all said that it's better to get a new bumper cuz it will cost pretty much same if I choose to fix it.

So.. where is the best source for m-tech 2 rear bumper for e46 coupe?

also a lady said she wants to give her credit card to bodyshop which covers the whole repair and rent for 2-3 days. Is this okay deal? Of course I want to get cash so I can use it on my discretion but I don't mind her giving a credit card to the shop.

Of course I will make sure her to pre-authorize it and sign it in front of the shop.

The cost of fixture is avg. $2100-2300 (from 4 bodyshops include European autobody)

BTW which one is the better bodyshop?

European autobody or Excellence Auto?

Excellence auto is parkview BMW and BMW Toronto authrized bodyshop.

Eurostyle
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
IMO this is WAY off...To replace a fiberglass bumper like yours, and paint it, $800 would be the max i would pay. (unless there is some major damage under it), NOT including rental of corse.

To prep and paint one panel should be about $400 for great quality job, bumper instal takes less then an houre if you do it yourself...

Let me know if you need a good shop, i know a place!

alpine86
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
according to the bodyshop the rear re-bar is bent and two shocks are pushed in.

I got this quote from a member's shop here in maxbimmer.

Eurostyle
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
according to the bodyshop the rear re-bar is bent and two shocks are pushed in.

I got this quote from a member's shop here in maxbimmer.

IC...That is possible, if you need the parts i have them for about $200.

E30 Girl
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
It's not your fault or your money so why wouldn't you get it fixed with the best possible parts at the best possible shop?

BMW BMXer
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
^ +1

damameke
01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
alright, i went to 4 bodyshops today.

They all said that it's better to get a new bumper cuz it will cost pretty much same if I choose to fix it.

So.. where is the best source for m-tech 2 rear bumper for e46 coupe?

also a lady said she wants to give her credit card to bodyshop which covers the whole repair and rent for 2-3 days. Is this okay deal? Of course I want to get cash so I can use it on my discretion but I don't mind her giving a credit card to the shop.

Of course I will make sure her to pre-authorize it and sign it in front of the shop.

The cost of fixture is avg. $2100-2300 (from 4 bodyshops include European autobody)

BTW which one is the better bodyshop?

European autobody or Excellence Auto?

Excellence auto is parkview BMW and BMW Toronto authrized bodyshop.

You are doing the correctly if you want to bypass the insurance company,
ask the lady to meet you at the bodyshop.

Get the bodyshop manager to deal with her directly, I.E: check that the credit card is valid, sufficient amount on the card, finally ask her sign the repair order and make sure that the car wil be ready in 3 days time. else charge back a day rental to the bodyshop..

Members here wil recommend European..

AdrianBmW
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Dont be dumb, claim it. thats why you pay your insurance premiums every month. A NOT at fault wont effect your rates nor when you switch will it be held against you. WHO gives a shit if its on record ? it sames as having your name on record, doesnt effect anybody. save your slef all this hassel.

hockeyfan27
01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
The only reason you wouldn't claim this is to be a super nice guy to the lady who hit you. That being said, the rule used to be if the damage was less than $1000 you didn't have to report it to the MTO. (that may have changed - if anyone knows for certain, please straighten me out) So, because the damage is above that, you have to report it to the MTO and 9/10 times the MTO reports to the insurance companies. So you wouldn't be doing this lady any favours by taking her money as the claim will most likely be showing on her record anyways. Explain that to her then call your insurance company to report the claim.

And for the record, Adrian is 100% right - Not At Fault claims have NO bearing on your premium. Anyone who says differently is misinformed. They will also, most likely, tell you red cars cost more to insure - It's B.S.

Good luck with your repairs.

AdrianBmW
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
The only reason you wouldn't claim this is to be a super nice guy to the lady who hit you. That being said, the rule used to be if the damage was less than $1000 you didn't have to report it to the MTO. (that may have changed - if anyone knows for certain, please straighten me out) So, because the damage is above that, you have to report it to the MTO and 9/10 times the MTO reports to the insurance companies. So you wouldn't be doing this lady any favours by taking her money as the claim will most likely be showing on her record anyways. Explain that to her then call your insurance company to report the claim.

And for the record, Adrian is 100% right - Not At Fault claims have NO bearing on your premium. Anyone who says differently is misinformed. They will also, most likely, tell you red cars cost more to insure - It's B.S.

Good luck with your repairs.

:D I like the red car costing more analogy lol happy new year hockey to you and yours and hope you have a great 2010 ! dont take too much business from us will ya *th-up*

parm
01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
What if the person that hit you has no insurance says screw you, but you can get approx $500.00 cash out of them to repair above noted damage? If you go through your own ins. to fix it does that work against you?

lgb240
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
The lady is trying to save both parties the aggrivation of going through the insurance company! If she is willing to pay cash for you to bring the car to the shop you want, GO FOR IT. Only go through insurance as the last resort (ie. she doesn't pay upfront, wants you to go to their "friends place").

If you go through insurance, even though it's a "no fault" claim, you still get a record. Then you have to go to the repair shop your insurance company specifies, which might replace things with cheap aftermarket parts.

Lucky the lady wasn't driving a company car or something that would require you to go through insurance- and is willing to pay you.

I made the mistake of calling the insurance company for a no fault accident before because of the same advice someone gave me (your not at fault- let insurance handle it). The insurance body shop wanted to replace the fender with an obviously cheap aftermarket- and had to wait a week for the part to come in. Luckily, the other party came forward and offered cash up front- I brought the car to my own trusted shop- used genuine parts, fixed within a day. I did NOT make a claim, but get this, still got an accident record- which I only found out about when I wanted to change insurance companies.

It's really up to the individual to do whatever they feel comfortable with. You can read through several of the replies on this post with varying opinions on the amount this fix 'should' cost - and none of them are actually paying for it. I personally don't have the time or energy to chase someone for resolution - I pay my insurance company to do just that. I've also never had issues with having to settle with sub par parts, or mandated to use a specific body shop. If your insurance company is sending you down this path, then you may want to review the quality of your insurance provider. It's also a good idea to review your file with them on a timely basis to make sure that it's accurate.

Unfortunately, I've been hit a few times over the years - I've gone down the path of using and not using insurance companies ... my experience is that the PITA factor increases exponentially when trying to deal with individuals on their own

AdrianBmW
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
What if the person that hit you has no insurance says screw you, but you can get approx $500.00 cash out of them to repair above noted damage? If you go through your own ins. to fix it does that work against you?

No we will still cover you. In worst case senerio you might have to pay a $300 DCPD which we will subbrogate against and try to get back from the party responcible along with any cost of the repairs. Then we give you back the frist 300 we get and it still no at fault acciden ( no effect on insurance what so ever)

alpine86
01-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Story continues...

I called her 4 times. She didn't answer so I left a voice message saying that if she doesn't call me back within 45 minutes I will go with the insurance.

2 minutes after the deadline she called me back saying she was having a dinner.

Long story short, I told her that if she is giving me a hard time I will just go thru the insurance. She suddenly said you didn't make a police report so insurance company will ask you why you didn't make a report. (Well thanks to all members who asked me to report asap, which I did on the next day of accident)

I said oh well of course I made a police report and I have a reference number. She said give her the reference number. (All the documents were inside my car so I couldn't tell her when she asks for it)

I said it's inside my car and if you like I can take a photo of it. In the mean time I asked her back why she needs a reference number. She said what if I am black mailing her.

I was like wtf.. +_+ how can I black mail her with a police report number....

She never wants me to go thru insurance. Well when I checked her insurance card at the scene it was expired but I assume she didn't bring her re-newed pink slip. Maybe she doesn't have an insurance with her...????

Anyway gave her the deadline, Thursday 6pm. That's it. If she keeps bullshitting I am done with her and insurance is on the way.

Hope when I go thru the insurance company they don't give me a hard time saying why I reported so late. It's 8 days after when it comes to the deadline.

Maybe that's what she wanted.. actually I was really surprise she saying why I didn't call a police at the scene and I have to make a police report within 24 hours otherwise I can't make a claim which is really funny and fishy at the same time.

Once again thanks to all members who advised me to make a police report asap!!
Good that I did and hope I am safe now.

lgb240
01-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Story continues...

I called her 4 times. She didn't answer so I left a voice message saying that if she doesn't call me back within 45 minutes I will go with the insurance.

2 minutes after the deadline she called me back saying she was having a dinner.

Long story short, I told her that if she is giving me a hard time I will just go thru the insurance. She suddenly said you didn't make a police report so insurance company will ask you why you didn't make a report. (Well thanks to all members who asked me to report asap, which I did on the next day of accident)

I said oh well of course I made a police report and I have a reference number. She said give her the reference number. (All the documents were inside my car so I couldn't tell her when she asks for it)

I said it's inside my car and if you like I can take a photo of it. In the mean time I asked her back why she needs a reference number. She said what if I am black mailing her.

I was like wtf.. +_+ how can I black mail her with a police report number....

She never wants me to go thru insurance. Well when I checked her insurance card at the scene it was expired but I assume she didn't bring her re-newed pink slip. Maybe she doesn't have an insurance with her...????

Anyway gave her the deadline, Thursday 6pm. That's it. If she keeps bullshitting I am done with her and insurance is on the way.

Hope when I go thru the insurance company they don't give me a hard time saying why I reported so late. It's 8 days after when it comes to the deadline.

Maybe that's what she wanted.. actually I was really surprise she saying why I didn't call a police at the scene and I have to make a police report within 24 hours otherwise I can't make a claim which is really funny and fishy at the same time.

Once again thanks to all members who advised me to make a police report asap!!
Good that I did and hope I am safe now.

What a joyous expereince you're having ... and she hasn't even touched her wallet yet.

Do yourself a favour and make your next call your insurance company.

lgb240

slemmer
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I would have red flagged the matter of no insurance. She would have been fined for not carrying valid insurance. Seems like she may have been through the process before or is getting coached. Insurance is there to be used and not just for putting money in to a bottomless pit with no return.

Dysantic
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
What a joyous expereince you're having ... and she hasn't even touched her wallet yet.

Do yourself a favour and make your next call your insurance company.

lgb240

+1

This chick is way to sketchy. Especially with the blackmailing statement. There is a fine line between being nice and being conned. Make sure you don't cross on to the wrong side.

hockeyfan27
01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
...Hope when I go thru the insurance company they don't give me a hard time saying why I reported so late. It's 8 days after when it comes to the deadline.

The law says you have 1 year to report a claim to your insurance company. You may be asked why you waited, but the claim cannot be denied on that alone. If you wait that long you may encounter some other difficulty such as, "if this was repaired promptly, there would not have been rust and would have cost less, so we are holding you responsible for the extra cost of repairs" but that is unlikely.

The MTO gives you 24 hours to report and you MUST report if the COMBINED damage to BOTH vehicles is over $1000. I have put a call in to the local Collision Reporting Centre to see what their position is on settling privately - not through insurance. I'll post any updates.

Here is something I learned today: If you are reporting a Hit & Run claim and there is no MTO collision report, the insurance company can charge the accident as at fault.

Alpine, It sounds like this lady is playing games. I wouldn't let it go any further. What happens if she gives the repair shop her credit card, they do the work, then she cancels her card, it's a stolen card etc...? You will end up footing the bill.

There is no detriment to you by going through insurance. Use your policy for what it was designed to do - save you financial loss.

alpine86
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Case ended. She paid me a cheque.

Here is the maxbimmer ver. of how to act when you get rear ended.

1. name, plate number, insurance company name and policy number.
I thought we change each others insurance card because my insurance company gave me 6 pink slips. You just need to write other party's information down. Don't need to exchange actual insurance paper.

2. Even it's a small damage if you are driving BMW, make sure you report to the police. Police estimate was $400 but the repair bill was over $2000. Pretty much police will estimate much less compare to the bodyshop so don't hesitate to report to the police.

I went to the reporting centre exactly 28hrs after the accident and they didn't give me a hard time. If the damage looks under $1000 then you don't have an obligation to report but if you are driving BMW even if it's a small damage report it first!!! Normally you need to report within 24 hours but even if you pass that time line you can always report to them. They won't give you a hard time.

This is the must!!! The reason why police report is important, in my case this lady wanted to play a game until I told her that I reported to the police. Before I told her that she refused to pay me what I asked for and she asked me to bring my car to her "friend" shop so they can take a look at it.

Don't ever bring your car to "their friend shop or mechanic"

Always asks for a rental car. It's your right.

If you have a police report you can always have options whether to deal with a person directly or the insurance company.

If you choose to cash settlement, it takes time of course. Other party won't just hand money out of his/her pocket nicely. Fight for it. Since you have a police report you can always fight for it. If other party isn't nice then just give them a deadline such as if they don't pay you cash or cheque within certain amount of time then you will automatically proceed with the insurance.

You have 1 year if you choose to deal with the insurance company. So if you decided to fight for it take your time. I mean at least give them a week or so.

so hope everyone drive safely and don't get into the accident!

W2WDETAILING
01-06-2010, 06:59 PM
because you recieved a cheque doesent mean your in the clear... 2 years ago i had a verbal contract with a guy basically working for his company doing mobile washes and heavy machinery cleaning. the deal was by weekly payments. i called him and said am i getting my cheque today he goes no your not getting paid till next month. i said like **** and walked off the job. he begged me to go back to the site i did he showed up and claimed he forgot his cheque book. next day i get a cheque for 1.3000. i go cash it work 2 more days then i was very sick for 3 days with a serious health problem. he was pissed i told him i quit and he cancelled the cheque for the services allready rendered. to this day i havent got the money he owes me. the only way you can guarantee the funds is if you get the cheque certified! he cancelled my cheque on the last day of processing! be carefull

parm
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
No valid insurance that seems to be the norm nowadays, There should be a massive fine for no insurance jail time, you don't have ins. take the bus. These non insured drivers putting others at risk because they don't give a damm.

W2WDETAILING
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
No valid insurance that seems to be the norm nowadays, There should be a massive fine for no insurance jail time, you don't have ins. take the bus. These non insured drivers putting others at risk because they don't give a damm.

+1*th-up*

alpine86
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
because you recieved a cheque doesent mean your in the clear... 2 years ago i had a verbal contract with a guy basically working for his company doing mobile washes and heavy machinery cleaning. the deal was by weekly payments. i called him and said am i getting my cheque today he goes no your not getting paid till next month. i said like **** and walked off the job. he begged me to go back to the site i did he showed up and claimed he forgot his cheque book. next day i get a cheque for 1.3000. i go cash it work 2 more days then i was very sick for 3 days with a serious health problem. he was pissed i told him i quit and he cancelled the cheque for the services allready rendered. to this day i havent got the money he owes me. the only way you can guarantee the funds is if you get the cheque certified! he cancelled my cheque on the last day of processing! be carefull

well if that happens I am getting a lawyer but this lady seems legit to me.

After 5 business days I will know whether I need a lawyer.

Eurostyle
01-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Not so, i think insurance should be optional! If you want to get coverd in an accident, have your own insurance...but that will never happen, they will loose bilions! By the way, when you get in an accident, its NOT the other party insurance the covers you, its YOUR insurance that pays! The law is only there to make sure the insurance industy doesnt loose $$$.

So if you get hit by someone with or without insurance, to you its the same thing!

E30 Girl
01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
I think insurance is important if only on the liability side. I got into a minor fender bender two and a half years ago litteraly the guy had a broken tail light and a scratch on his bumper. Five days from the end of the statute of limitations he decided to sue me for all his "massive pain and suffering". If I didn't have at least liability I would have to be funding this bull shit instead my insurance takes care of everything...and my insurance went down this year...lol

hockeyfan27
01-07-2010, 12:03 PM
well if that happens I am getting a lawyer but this lady seems legit to me. After 5 business days I will know whether I need a lawyer.

Save your $$, if the cheque bounces, just call your insurance company and report the claim- and SAVE THAT CHEQUE - it is an admission of fault on her behalf.

...i think insurance should be optional! If you want to get coverd in an accident, have your own insurance...

Essentially, what you are suggesting (or at least a portion of it) is already in effect: You have the option of carrying physical damage coverage (being: All Perils, Collision, Comprehensive, and or Specified Perils) as long as you own your vehicle (not leased or financed). You have the option of "self insuring" damage to your vehicle.

You are correct in saying, ...when you get in an accident, its NOT the other party insurance the covers you, its YOUR insurance that pays!... That is what the term "No Fault Insurance" means; regardless of who is at fault, the policy purchased by the vehicle owner covers the damage to that vehicle. Previously under the 'tort' system, the 'at fault' drivers' policy covered the damage to BOTH vehicles. However, if you are found liable for another persons injury or property loss (aside from damage to their vehicle) it is YOUR policy that pays the settlement.

...The law is only there to make sure the insurance industy doesnt loose $$$.

The law/legal system is probably the largest enemy of the insurance sector next to fraud. Judges make ridonkulous rulings forcing companies to pay millions of dollars just because they are the big bad insurance company. (I'll look for a few examples if you'd like)

I understand the disdain towards something you are forced to buy (and it's not like I pay my own auto insurance with a smile on my face as I sign the cheque) But I do realize that without insurance, I wouldn't have a house as there would be no such thing as a mortgage and I wouldn't have a car 'cause there would be no leasing or financing.

I guess the argument could be made that all of the above; insurance, mortgages, leasing/financing are evil, but they afford us amenities that you or I would not quickly give up.

*end rant*

hustler
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
How much cash do you have to have to be self insured? Isn't it something like $500,000?

hockeyfan27
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not even sure if they allow you to do that anymore, but I think it used to be 2mil. They upped it a few times over the years. And it's not like if you have 2 mil in the bank (like most of us do) you don't have to buy insurance. You had to deposit that money in a special account with the FSCO (insurance governing body).

marek
01-07-2010, 05:01 PM
It used to be a min. of $250k as that was (maybe still is) the min. liability coverage. I knew someone who was self insured that way and still is as far as I know.

Eurostyle
01-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Its 1 mil minimum for a car, and 500K for a bike if i remember...

I know we "need" insurance:rolleyes::rolleyes: But we pay way too much!!!
Its just out of hand, they do whatever they want, and all we can do is take it up the a$$ because we have no options. I had my rates double (5 years ago) with no reason at all (100% clear record) and all my broker could tell me way "its because they can"...when i tryed to get a new quote, all rates were 40-50% up! Talk about fair...

hockeyfan27
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Its 1 mil minimum for a car, and 500K for a bike if i remember...

I know we "need" insurance:rolleyes::rolleyes: But we pay way too much!!!
Its just out of hand, they do whatever they want, and all we can do is take it up the a$$ because we have no options. I had my rates double (5 years ago) with no reason at all (100% clear record) and all my broker could tell me way "its because they can"...when i tryed to get a new quote, all rates were 40-50% up! Talk about fair...

I hate trying to explain garbage like that to customers.

Simby
01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I got rear ended and both parties agreed to go through insurance. It was very simple. Not sure why you guys say avoid insurance at all costs, especially when it's not your fault.

We filed the police report right away, insurance adjuster came out a day later to assess the damage. I said I wanted a specific BMW approved bodyshop and he said yes. I went to the shop, got the quote and they dealt with the insurance company directly. I waited until the bumper came in and brought in my car to get it replaced. Rental car available but I opted to take the cab instead, which was fine by them.

Replacing the bumper and 1 exhaust cap cost $1,800. Pretty pricy!

E30 Girl
01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
^^ Why would you want that on you insurance? There is the possibility of it going up when you can get your car fixed the same way without having the accident on you record and without you insurance going up?

AdrianBmW
01-11-2010, 12:08 PM
^^ Why would you want that on you insurance? There is the possibility of it going up when you can get your car fixed the same way without having the accident on you record and without you insurance going up?

Everybody has there own opinion but false information is false information. if an accident like the one being discussed is NOT at fault theres legally no risk of your rates increasing due to the accident. TRUE that the repair could be of same quality but for example with State Farm if work is doen through any of our Approved repair shops we guarentee the work for life time. not all shops will do the same.... Due to all these rate increases that even us in the industry have to put up with creats a lot of bullshit about insurance fruad but when you have the chance just take a look at how much we are paying out in claims.. we have to stay profitable and be able to cover all expected losses. my office alone which is average size paid out 1.5 million last year alone in auto claims.. :huh?: