PDA

View Full Version : best INSURANCE for 1987 BMW 325is?

Denny
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
I found a really good condition 1987 325 is BMW but I am having a really hard time finding insurance company's that want to insure it. ( I was totally unaware that lot of company's don't insure cars that are 20 years and older).

Now my plan was to buy it now and restore it for next 2 years then put full insurance on it and hope to have it appraised for more money...

Any help me and point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

NOTORIOUS VR
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Start calling insurance companies? I don't get why people think other's of a forum will be able to give you a quote. Everyone is different in the eyes of an insurance company.

Denny
12-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Start calling insurance companies? I don't get why people think other's of a forum will be able to give you a quote. Everyone is different in the eyes of an insurance company.

Dude, I dont think you understand. I have called many... am looking for somebody that has a good lead on a insurance company that will insure cars 20+ years old.

Steve30
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Is it going to be a your dd? My dad insures his 87 325 and 79 beetle with silver wheels and the insurance is dirt cheap (like $200 a year). The only thing is that you are restricted to something like 16 000 km per year, have another car on insurance, and the car has to be appraised.

Denny
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Is it going to be a your dd? My dad insures his 87 325 and 79 beetle with silver wheels and the insurance is dirt cheap (like $200 a year). The only thing is that you are restricted to something like 16 000 km per year, have another car on insurance, and the car has to be appraised.
Really :) that would work for me!! I would only drive it to work and used less then 12000km a year as I already have a 2003 330i fully insured?

who is the company? any good appraisers in ottawa region?

Steve30
12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
The insurance plan is called silver wheels. Here is their website: http://www.lant-ins.ca/

Denny
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
The insurance plan is called silver wheels. Here is their website: http://www.lant-ins.ca/

Just called and they are closed. I think that this is exactly what am looking for!! THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!

lvan
12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Really :) that would work for me!! I would only drive it to work and used less then 12000km a year as I already have a 2003 330i fully insured?

who is the company? any good appraisers in ottawa region?

Any SF will do if you have a decent record.

Denny
12-31-2009, 04:04 PM
Any SF will do if you have a decent record.

whats an SF? my record is very good...over 35 age and no accidents since 1993 and 1 speeding in 2008.

elroy
12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
state farm

Denny
12-31-2009, 05:21 PM
state farm

thank you I will check with them as well.

T.Dot_E30
12-31-2009, 05:41 PM
did you call your current insurance company? Usually if you already have a policy they dont have a problem adding an older car to it.

But if you were looking for a new policy and trying to insure a 20+ year car then yea alot of places won't insure you.

marek
12-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Just called and they are closed. I think that this is exactly what am looking for!! THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!THANK YOU!!

I am with silver wheels as well. The big restriction is that the car can't be your daily driver and you are not allowed to drive it to work (this is a big denotion of it being a daily driver). It is supposed to be pleasure use only. They are very strict on it now, as people were using them to insure crappy cars for the cheap rates.

Denny
12-31-2009, 06:02 PM
did you call your current insurance company? Usually if you already have a policy they dont have a problem adding an older car to it.

But if you were looking for a new policy and trying to insure a 20+ year car then yea alot of places won't insure you.

I am with Belair direct and they will not insure older cars past 20+ years

Denny
12-31-2009, 06:05 PM
I am with silver wheels as well. The big restriction is that the car can't be your daily driver and you are not allowed to drive it to work (this is a big denotion of it being a daily driver). It is supposed to be pleasure use only. They are very strict on it now, as people were using them to insure crappy cars for the cheap rates.

If that is the case then I am SOL ...I want to be able to enjoy driving it to work....why is it so hard to insure a car you enjoy regardless of age... damn half the cars today that are new are expensive and boring to drive...

W2WDETAILING
12-31-2009, 06:44 PM
hopefully member " hockeyfan27" will chime in... i find he has an answer for everything! *th-up*

Denny
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
hopefully member " hockeyfan27" will chime in... i find he has an answer for everything! *th-up*

I hope "hockeyfan27" can help me....as of right now:

belair direct: am already a client and they WILL NOT insure me on a car that is 20+ years old even on just liability insurance.

Powell insurance:

first call: 119 a month for liability only ....holy shit!! am paying 70$ a month for my 2003 BMW 330i.

second call: 200-300 a month... clueless operator that doesnt know WTF she is doing

LANT-INS: they said a 1987 bmw is NOT a classic car they would have to review and think about it....

waiting for call from classic car insurance...!! I'm so damn discouraged I really want a E30...:(

craigIS
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
whats an SF? my record is very good...over 35 age and no accidents since 1993 and 1 speeding in 2008.

ah tickets.....i have one ticket on my record, for speeding. i was ticketed for 15 over, and when i when to change insurance companies, they wanted to rape me for an additional $85 a month. some companies will do barley nothing about a ticket like that, and i found one, so i went with them. monthly payment went up $10 a month.

make sure they arent gonna rape you

Denny
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
ah tickets.....i have one ticket on my record, for speeding. i was ticketed for 15 over, and when i when to change insurance companies, they wanted to rape me for an additional $85 a month. some companies will do barley nothing about a ticket like that, and i found one, so i went with them. monthly payment went up $10 a month.

make sure they arent gonna rape you

Trust me I dont trust insurance company's... not anymore. Insurance is a MAJOR grey area... and right now I cant even get raped if I wanted to...as nobody will insure my 1987 325is...:mad:

hockeyfan27
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM

*wave* Thanks! To give credit where it is due, I work with a good bunch of people who foster learning through asking questions and having open discussions.

Silver wheel is a great product, however they specify that the car must "not be used for regular transportation". Any drive to work (even if you're under the ann. km limit - if there is one) is not allowable.

There are companies that will take an older car, some require an appraisal, others will accept current photos and or a recent safety certificate.

Denny you have a PM.

Dissembler
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm with dominion of canada, but under my parents policy.

Unfortunately I am 20 so I pay through the ass for insurance (lol, when you said that they quoted you $117 i thought "holy shit! i'll take that!" lol)

They asked me for photos of my first e30, didn't care to see the 2nd one, and even though its not insured yet (still getting it street worthy), they know I have a 3rd e30

Denny
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
*wave* Thanks! To give credit where it is due, I work with a good bunch of people who foster learning through asking questions and having open discussions.

Silver wheel is a great product, however they specify that the car must "not be used for regular transportation". Any drive to work (even if you're under the ann. km limit - if there is one) is not allowable.

There are companies that will take an older car, some require an appraisal, others will accept current photos and or a recent safety certificate.

Denny you have a PM.

PM sent

DYMO
01-05-2010, 05:31 PM
hockeyfan23, can i get a pm too LOL?
perhaps you can give me a hand. noone wants to insure a RHD car thats over 20 :/