PDA

View Full Version : suspension jargon questions

nzer
03-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Hiya,

Basically i'm looking to get some real suspension for my car and see there are two things to change.. the spring and the actual shock i guess.

I had a drive of my friends 320i with koni adjustables (as he said). Is he talking about the spring and the shock or just one part? I'm a little confused. But i know it felt really nice and precise unlike mine.

So i'm at the stage now where its time to do the suspension, it needs to be able to handle the M50 motor that me dad and I are popping in at the end of the next uni semester.

Any tips?

Thanks for any help

Furious
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
these spring and shock combos are usually called coilovers ,, named because the spring and shock are one. (hence coil -spring is over top the shock) they are usually better because you can adjust your ride height to maximize your performance or asthetic look on your car. typically more expensive though.
a good time to change suspension is whenever you feel your current suspension isnt adequate, or if something breaks or wears out. what you need to do is find a set up that can compensate the weight properly. they are usually labeled per car. its not a mystery to figure out what set up is proper for your car.

E30 Stu
03-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Furious325is
these spring and shock combos are usually called coilovers ,, named because the spring and shock are one. (hence coil -spring is over top the shock) they are usually better because you can adjust your ride height to maximize your performance or asthetic look on your car. typically more expensive though.
a good time to change suspension is whenever you feel your current suspension isnt adequate, or if something breaks or wears out. what you need to do is find a set up that can compensate the weight properly. they are usually labeled per car. its not a mystery to figure out what set up is proper for your car.

Incorrect.

Most BMW's have what is called a Macpherson Strut front suspension. It has the front strut (shock) in a shock housing with the lower spring perch as part of the housing, so the spring wraps around the shock.

A COIL-OVER refers to a 2.25-2.5" ID race spring with an adjustable perch so the car can be set to the desired ride height and corner-weighted.

Koni's are shocks, not springs. Koni Adj's are stiffness-adjustable.

Furious
03-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by E30 Stu
Incorrect.

Most BMW's have what is called a Macpherson Strut front suspension. It has the front strut (shock) in a shock housing with the lower spring perch as part of the housing, so the spring wraps around the shock.

A COIL-OVER refers to a 2.25-2.5" ID race spring with an adjustable perch so the car can be set to the desired ride height and corner-weighted.

Koni's are shocks, not springs. Koni Adj's are stiffness-adjustable.

thanks stu. ya your right. i just read the question wrong. i though he wanted to know what those adjustable suspension pieces were called. i should have read more carefully. ya your absoulutely right . .yes there are such thing as adjustable shocks.

nzer
03-19-2003, 09:45 PM
yes mine have the Macpherson arrangement..

so to achieve lowering i'll being changing spring and shock? .. how can I lower but not lose any travel though..