PDA

View Full Version : Shock fell off... lol FML

R.S.C
12-14-2009, 06:40 PM
How the hell does this happened... Bad Bolt...
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/rav-c/max/IMG00028-20091214-1819.jpg

From the looks of it, it's just the lower Bolt I need to replace... But the shocks looks like it could have been damaged too..... sigh*

Axxe
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Shock slid off it's sleeve. A bolt won't fix it, but a washer and some patience will.

BmW1819
12-14-2009, 06:52 PM
yea u need some large washers there should be some washers who ever installed that hmmmmm

team_ottawa
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
tow truck ripped mine off like that b4 dumb asses :P

Steve30
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
ouch, this happened to someone else recently too. what are you doing driving the m in the winter anyways :P

Ceeker
12-14-2009, 08:21 PM
from the looks of it the washer portion of the stud either broke free or rusted off. If I not mistaken the factory bolt has a tapered washer as part of the bolt to secure it and prevent it was sliding off. Just change the bolt or add some washers. The shock should be fine. Just compress it from underneath and see if it extends.

Gamite
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
u got tuckage now?

R.S.C
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
^ lol not so much tuckage as bounce... lol

R.S.C
12-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's the case still.

from the looks of it the washer portion of the stud either broke free or rusted off. If I not mistaken the factory bolt has a tapered washer as part of the bolt to secure it and prevent it was sliding off. Just change the bolt or add some washers. The shock should be fine. Just compress it from underneath and see if it extends.

Eurostyle
12-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Yes, just like stated before, its not the bolt problme...the shock insert separated from the rubber! Just put it back with a big washer, but still might have play in it. Better to replace!

doogee
12-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Yeeep. Not installed properly.

INFAMOU$
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
lol that sucks.. could have been worse tho!

Dr. Flyview
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Who installed it? BEEF BEEF. Oh noo let's not get banned...:rolleyes:

Gamite
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, how did you come to the conclusion that it was not installed properly?

R.S.C
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Before anyone tries to hang someone for installing it incorrectly. All the suspension work was done myself... spings, structs, shocks, control arms... etc
I'm no pro, but not completely incompetent either lol :D

I think the part just failed on me, bad luck is all. *shiner*

Jon@Bimmersport
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Hey Ravi,

What creeker mentioned is actually correct....when installing these bilstiens, you MUST put a washer to prevent this from happening. I remember Anuk had the same problem on his E36. If you cant get the right size diameter (inner/outer) just pass by we have a few kickin' around....just dont drive here with the M3 :P.

Flav,

The only way you get banned is if your behind the keyboard, trying to create beef between various parties. Then again, I dont have the right to say who does or doesnt get banned.

R.S.C
12-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Jon. Been dying to come by the shop, but your winter hours and my work just aren't working out too well for me. I'm gonna see if I can find the washer. I installed the washer on the other side so unless its come off some how I might have just made a laps when I was installing this side and didn't put it oh.

If I cant find it ill try to find a way to book n appointment.. I have a few things I need help sorting out.

Eurostyle
12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Who installed it? BEEF BEEF. Oh noo let's not get banned...:rolleyes:

I did! *wave* Got a problem!:D

Eurotakeover
12-16-2009, 01:09 AM
that sucks

Bliss
12-16-2009, 02:00 AM
To this day i don't understand why Bilstein does not provide the washers required for the installation. I have dealt with them on many occasions in the past regarding exactly this topic. They told me it was their mistake for not including the washers, and that they will be including them in their kits from now on...this was in 2002.

Btw, just go and grab a set of stainless washers from Home Depot. Just take the bolt with you to get the proper size. Easy fix.

kenmar
12-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Yes, a few years back Bilstein wasn't providing the washer. I just bought a new pair of rear shocks last year and it came with the washer. BTW, the "lifetime" warranty sucks if you buy from the US (mine were from TMS) since the customs/duties you end up paying to get your replacement over the border makes it almost as expensive as buying it new.

Is that shock hydraulic oil dripping down it? I'm betting the shock is gone too. I think worn out shocks lead to this type of failure by the excessive jouncing, and the leaking oil makes slipping off the stud easier. Easy test is to simply test its resistance to compression by pushing it in. New shocks with lots of gas will be pretty hard to push in. Or just compare it to the good shock. If it is worn, probably a good idea to get 2 new ones and keep the old one as a spare.

Bliss
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, a few years back Bilstein wasn't providing the washer. I just bought a new pair of rear shocks last year and it came with the washer.

I guess they got enough complaints to finally do something about it. Glad to hear they're providing the washers now.

uber e36
12-16-2009, 11:06 PM
BTW, the "lifetime" warranty sucks if you buy from the US (mine were from TMS) since the customs/duties you end up paying to get your replacement over the border makes it almost as expensive as buying it new.

I thought when a US company ships you a warranty exchange part, there's no duty?

R.S.C
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
BTW fix'd it. Cost = $.25 for a new washer. And some blunt force to get the back in place.