PDA

View Full Version : parking car outside for winter

Nguyen_E30
12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
is it bad to have my car parked outside for winter since i have no garage space to store it in?

Biggie
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Not a great idea if you dont plan on driving it....there are lots of garage facilities in GTA renting out underground spots...look into that as an option.

Mystikal
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Just buy a good cover, and make sure snow/salt can't blow in under.

Bliss
12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Just buy a good cover, and make sure snow/salt can't blow in under.

Just did that to my gf's E36. Second winter doing the same thing with no complaints. Just get a nice snug winter cover.

propr'one
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I keep the car i drive in the winter under a cover too. Makes cleaning a breeze.

Bliss
12-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I keep the car i drive in the winter under a cover too. Makes cleaning a breeze.

Which car u using for winter these days Ivan? Hope you wash it before putting it under-cover. A cover can sometimes do more harm than good.

Nguyen_E30
12-10-2009, 06:37 PM
so i'm supposed to wash my car prior to covering it for the winter? also, are the covers at canadian tires any good?

propr'one
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Which car u using for winter these days Ivan? Hope you wash it before putting it under-cover. A cover can sometimes do more harm than good.

1990 red 325iX coupe. It was the car i went to go get in South Dakota, i remember talking about it with you.

The paint is ****ed on it, so i dont mind scratching it up some more with a car cover. Your 997 is awd right? you drifting that around in the snow?

Bliss
12-11-2009, 06:49 PM
1990 red 325iX coupe. It was the car i went to go get in South Dakota, i remember talking about it with you.

The paint is ****ed on it, so i dont mind scratching it up some more with a car cover. Your 997 is awd right? you drifting that around in the snow?

Oh ya, i remember the E30, i thought you're driving something else for the winter. The paint, from what i remember looked pretty good! Nah, the 997 isnt AWD, its more of a piece of furniture in my garage. :D Don't drive it as much as i would like to.

so i'm supposed to wash my car prior to covering it for the winter? also, are the covers at canadian tires any good?

Ya, its best to wash the car since the cover will scratch up your paint if you don't. It'll make it worse than if you hadn't covered it. Im not comfortable with "generic" style covers since they usually aren't a tight, snug fit, making it blow around on the car.

slemmer
12-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I heard you should also leave a heavy wax on it so that there would be a barrier between the paint finish and the cover, at least this is what the makers of LeBra recommends.