12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
:P

http://i45.tinypic.com/5xsg43.jpg

328IScreamer
12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Hence why most of us don't drive ours in the winter

hockeyfan27
12-08-2009, 12:03 PM
If you squint your eyes, the slide marks look like they spell F-U-N !

Blades
12-08-2009, 12:22 PM
get an Xi

you cant compare otherwise

Vavan
12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Great pic for an ad!:D

T.Dot_E30
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
lol funny.....but it's not fair unless the bmw has winter tires. Otherwise that is expected.

Steve30
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
lol i see it!

If you squint your eyes, the slide marks look like they spell F-U-N !

Darkness95m3
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
lol funny.....but it's not fair unless the bmw has winter tires. Otherwise that is expected.

Yup! Winter tires and that Audi has no chance lol!

Winter tires have much more grip over all seazon tires, period.

JunzieB
12-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Winter tires or no winter tires, you can't compare audi's quattro vs BMW's RWD in the snow.
The BMW will still get owned.

dbworld4k
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
^ +1.

Darkness95m3
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Winter tires or no winter tires, you can't compare audi's quattro vs BMW's RWD in the snow.
The BMW will still get owned.

Think positive!

Yes you are right 4>2 any day fro traction in the snow.

NOTORIOUS VR
12-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Think positive!

Yes you are right 4>2 any day fro traction in the snow.

and rain, and dry *angel*

JunzieB
12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
^C'mon now. I'll let you have snow, i'll let you have rain, but you're not taking my dry away from me! :P
:D

NOTORIOUS VR
12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
hahaha

R1C3RCKT
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM
great pic! my audi is on all seasons and my 330ci on winters. i need to try this

MiroE36
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Sick pic! It almost looks like it was done on purpose, the slide marks are awesome

SickFinga
12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
and rain, and dry *angel*

Here is the proof that RWD > AWD

911 GT2 > 911 Turbo

Not a single GT Porsche is AWD. Lambo is going the same way as well. *wave*

Blades
12-09-2009, 02:57 AM

911 GT2 > 911 Turbo

i think we just went into the apples and oranges category.

are we talking track now or just city driving in snow??

NOTORIOUS VR
12-09-2009, 09:39 AM

911 GT2 > 911 Turbo

Ok even though the pic and comments I posted was "just for fun" if you want to go down that route...

Take a look at how the Audi touring cars were dominating the RWD cars... see that can go both ways *wiggle*

Actually almost every time Audi has entered a race with their Quattro cars, they've always had to endure massive weight penalties until they just are so uncompetitive they pull out.

Fel
12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
hahahahaha

Mikeee46coup
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
True indeed, but a lil sideways driving made my otherwise boring drive to work this morning fun. *par-t*

SickFinga
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Ok even though the pic and comments I posted was "just for fun" if you want to go down that route...

This is serious business!

Take a look at how the Audi touring cars were dominating the RWD cars... see that can go both ways *wiggle*

Actually almost every time Audi has entered a race with their Quattro cars, they've always had to endure massive weight penalties until they just are so uncompetitive they pull out.

[citation needed]

moogles
12-10-2009, 01:56 PM
i think we just went into the apples and oranges category.

are we talking track now or just city driving in snow??

watever the case... thats a nice picture...

now do the same thing for the GT2 and the turbo on the same drive way and amount of snow :D

xlash
12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
i'll still take the marginal reliability, economy, throw on winters and drive my RWD than get an Audi.

Quack
12-11-2009, 04:49 PM
meh, my Benz can do that, I'm still driving around on my 18" summer performance tires and I drive pretty hard.

meanm3
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
does bmw even make awd sedan's?

Arash
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Yes, yes they do. They've been making them for 20 years.

InfiniteDice
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Bottom line is, if you're an idiot and think 4wd is gonna make you Mario Andretti in the snow, you'll end up in a ditch sooner or later. Or dead.

I've passed countless heroes in their 50k 4wds, owned by the cement barrier.

I could idle my car up that driveway, that's ridiculous. :)

Dado 540
12-15-2009, 05:19 PM
^Hahahahah

Blades
12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Bottom line is, if you're an idiot and think 4wd is gonna make you Mario Andretti in the snow, you'll end up in a ditch sooner or later. Or dead.

I've passed countless heroes in their 50k 4wds, owned by the cement barrier.

I could idle my car up that driveway, that's ridiculous. :)

idle your way up .. well if you had a car that weights more then a tin car .. had some horsepower that actually breaks the tires in snow and drove a standard ..

you wouldnt think its so ridiculous

uber e36
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM

They even make awd coupes... mmm 335xi Coupe!

rendered
12-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Looks like the lines on my driveway!! Hahaha! Great picture!

Seriously though, My b5 s4 audi with all seasons got stuck the other day when I stopped on an ice covered hill while my B6 S4 crawled up the same hill like a tank with Blizzaks on 18"s. Proof that even awd Audi's ain't shit without decent winter tires.

The Bmw had no chance even with brand new winter tires! Lol had to back up all the way down and take a run at the hill!! BMW + momentum = win! Thank god it stays stored most of the winter.

InfiniteDice
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
idle your way up .. well if you had a car that weights more then a tin car <-- What does that mean anyway, BMW made my car out of tin?

had some horsepower that actually breaks the tires in snow <-- My car breaks tires in 2nd gear on dry pavement so what are you talking about?

and drove a standard .. <-- It is standard.

Man all you did there was dump on everyone who owns an e30 325i. Accomplishment = 0. :)

I've driven my car on ice roads (roads made of ice) at 120kph, in fact I drove it back and forth 18 hours each way - Waskaganish Quebec to St. Catharines over a dozen times over 4 years, in worse weather than you could imagine. I have a list of stories 100 miles long. The point is, it's not the car it's how you drive the thing that really matters.

So much for modern technology, traction control, etc. I'll keep my Tin car, that drives all year round :)

El Gato Liso
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
idle your way up .. well if you had a car that weights more then a tin car <-- What does that mean anyway, BMW made my car out of tin?

had some horsepower that actually breaks the tires in snow <-- My car breaks tires in 2nd gear on dry pavement so what are you talking about?

and drove a standard .. <-- It is standard.

Man all you did there was dump on everyone who owns an e30 325i. Accomplishment = 0. :)

ahem....my car is made of awesome.
...what do you mean breaks tires? ill take it as it is....i got my e30 to break 3rd!!!!!

e30 standard...is a standard!

dgmorr
12-17-2009, 11:39 AM
My tires don't break. You must be using some LingLong tires.

BimmerboyPH
12-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Aha yeah lets compare how the two drive in the summer.... rwd ftw

Blades
12-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I've driven my car on ice roads (roads made of ice) at 120kph, in fact I drove it back and forth 18 hours each way - Waskaganish Quebec to St. Catharines over a dozen times over 4 years, in worse weather than you could imagine. I have a list of stories 100 miles long. The point is, it's not the car it's how you drive the thing that really matters.

So much for modern technology, traction control, etc. I'll keep my Tin car, that drives all year round :)

good for you but I would like to see a video of you passing 4wd cars in your magical e30.

and you cant compare driving your car up a driveway to that e46 .. sorry .. its not the same.

InfiniteDice
12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah I passed many 4wd cars (in the ditch, or smacked into the concrete divider). I've had guys fly past me, and end up crashing. Not once... but about 3 times.

Anyways, further argument is pointless here, having 4wd is nice, but it just means you can lose traction on 4 wheels easier, especially in a corner. If a wheel has power, or has drag from the drive-train it will slide. Many people who are inexperienced in winter driving, buy these really nice 4wd cars/trucks and then drive like they are invincible and/or crash proof.

Yes my e30 is magic, it came that way from the factory. :)

JINT
12-17-2009, 08:11 PM
hahhaha, wow some forum flexing going on here. Common everyone knows that quattro's got more traction on snow than a bimmer no matter what tires you run. And yes quattro is better than XI and IX it's been prooven many times, search youtube there are plenty. But unless you are doing rally it doesn't really matter, both xi and quattro is good enough to go up a snowed hill.

NOTORIOUS VR
12-18-2009, 12:51 AM
having 4wd is nice, but it just means you can lose traction on 4 wheels easier, especially in a corner.

Oh really now? How can you loose traction easier if you have 2 more wheels driving you? You have twice the grip. What you said makes no sense. You will only slide if you over power the grip you have from your tires.

And it's not different driving a FWD, RWD, or AWD car in the snow. All the same properties apply. If you don't know how to drive you're going to have problems.

Blades
12-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Oh really now? How can you loose traction easier if you have 2 more wheels driving you? You have twice the grip. What you said makes no sense. You will only slide if you over power the grip you have from your tires.

And it's not different driving a FWD, RWD, or AWD car in the snow. All the same properties apply. If you don't know how to drive you're going to have problems.

i stopped arguing with the guy after he said that .. he has to be some kid that just got his license to say something that dumb.

Axxe
12-18-2009, 04:26 AM
AWD doesn't help you stop or turn (well, unless you are rally driving it). Also, a lot of e30's in Canada came with LSD, that definately is way better than open diff for climbing that driveway. I never had trouble climbing my parent's driveway even when it was covered in snow. My father's bmw's (all open diff with winter tires) couldn't make it up. Is AWD better? Yes, but only if you don't think you are invincible with it. Know your limits, drive within them.

pawcio
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
of course AWD is better in the winter, but as some of you pointed out the problem is most ppl say "all i need is an SUV with AWD and i'm good". so yeah, you see idiots with AWD going 2x faster than the average motorist or maybe 3x faster than me in my RWD bimmer, but the problem is the breaking not accelerating. the momentum of two cars going the same speed is dependant on their weight not drivetrain. but the bottom line is that if you had identical drivers, cars, tires, with the exception of AWD, RWD, FWD...then AWD would to better in the snow. but if you're careful and not too full of yourself while driving in the winter, you'll be fine too. now i just gotta worry about the guy beside me.

InfiniteDice
12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
These are all good comments, here is a funny story to lighten things up.

I stopped for gas one time last year, and the snow (around 20cm deep or so) was part slush. Some guy in a new Ford F-150 was trying to get out of the lot, tire spinning like mad, he had open diff. I drove past him in my lowered e30... lol I almost died laughing. Like we've mentioned here, just because something seems like it would be the better vehicle in the snow, doesn't make it the better vehicle. Old e30 with LSD trumps Brand new f-150 in snow... who would imagine that.

Peace!

daytona
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I driving a Audi now and use to own a 5 series BMW.There is trade off for both cars.BMW is more refined,quieter engine,less rattle more smoothness in its power.Audi handles just as good or better on dry pavement,huge amount of torque ,reliable and imho the interior feels and looks better than the BMW .The reason I got the Audi is for the AWD.BMW cannot match Audi in this field.It doesnt mean I can drive like a idiot during a storm it means I wont get stuck in deep snow with the proper tires.I had the best Nokians on the BMW during winter and even though it helped the car still felt loose.If I wanted a car for three season I definitely get a BMW,I got the Audi for all season driving.I put on 24000km on my car since I bought it used and no issues at all..nothing but a small oil leak from the oil filter and busted tires.The real idiots I see in the winter is the huge SUV flying down the 400 during a storm and later seeing them in a ditch on the nightly news.

Here is what Audi quattro is all about..!!!..traction in bad weather..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt_7KTG9iyc

Blades
12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I would like to see a RWD do this ..

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128387

hadesm5
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
threads like this call for.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSZLSfBDyhs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SSZLSfBDyhs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
*repost*

MiroE36
12-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Subaru clearly for the win....

NOTORIOUS VR
12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
That Volvo vid was hilarious lol

BUSTERS
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
My XI just went from guelph to sudbury last night and sudbury to guelph this morn in total snow white out's,flurries,storm,ice ETC. i would have done circles around that audi with my xi and i just put on hankook Ipike W409. drives on rails at 140k in 6in of snow.:cool:

InfiniteDice
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I did St. Catharines to Amos Quebec, about 11 hours+ on Saturday, and back on Sunday...

22 Hours at 120+ Car behaved just fine. Only problem was one of my wiper washer nozzles sprays a bit lazy, I'm guessing the check valve is toast.

Cheers!

NOTORIOUS VR
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
i would have done circles around that audi

Sure thing *sleep*

BimmerDriver
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
I love how Audi driver's just can't be happy and quiet about their cars, they do have to go and make the point of saying "oh my car is so much safer and faster than yours... on snow... *sleep* (boooring)" lol. Now don't get me wrong, I like Audi's too (well, the R8...) and I do agree that they are way better on snow and that the Quattro system is better than the Xi or iX or the 4matic for that matter, but how fu#$d is your self esteem?!

The more you make your point about these things the more we will be happy about our bimmers cause that's the exact same reason why we bought em' in the first place, cause they are mad tail happy beasts, they are way more fun to drive and everytime the tail acts up on you it puts more hair on your chest and big pair of testies between your legs lol

I would like to see a RWD do this ..

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128387

Well, if the game is to make outrageous comparisons I wanna see an AWD do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gCH6ri4RY (on the dry!) :D

JINT
12-30-2009, 01:09 AM
^ I 2nd that.