PDA

View Full Version : winter driving need help plz

Shafhan
12-03-2009, 02:59 AM
this will b my first winter driving my 92 325i. its a 2dr fully stock car now alot of ppl say RWD cars suck in the winter. the last couple of yrs ive only driven FWD cars n never had any big problems with them. so i need help on the following. any help would be greatly appriciated as i have no clue on wht to expect

. how does the car handle
. should i do certain things that might improve the handling of the car
. ive heard RWD cars spin out if true how do u guys overcome this
. is it true that adding weight in the trunk will help in controlling the car
. im getting brand new winter tires would they make a significant difference

any help would b greatly appriciated as ive heard bad stuff abt RWD. thanks yet again

Junaid
12-03-2009, 03:04 AM
a good set of winter tires and you will be okay. If you want to be extra safe throw a few bags of salt in the trunk. Just dont drive stupid and dont hit the gas excessively on turns and you will avoid spinning out.

propr'one
12-03-2009, 03:18 AM
winter tires, dump a bunch of shit in your trunk, keep your gas tank full and take it easy.
toronto doesn't get a lot of snow, you'll be fine.

Then again, if you're serious about it, it can't hurt to buy a rally car.

Shafhan
12-03-2009, 04:12 AM
this year the weather has been kind so we havent gotten any snow yet but sooner or later we will get some. its a good car n the last thing i want is to be going around hittin stuff caz the paint is mint n i wouldnt want dents on the car lol. but i will definitely throw in a bag of salt n a bag of sand, it would help incase of an emergency too :)

E36is
12-03-2009, 06:35 AM
check to see if your car has LSD (limited slip differential), this will help alot during winter driving. Like other people have mentioned, get some winter tires all around and you will be fine. The narrowest tires is key.

T.Dot_E30
12-03-2009, 10:16 AM
check to see if your car has LSD (limited slip differential), this will help alot during winter driving. Like other people have mentioned, get some winter tires all around and you will be fine. The narrowest tires is key.

It only helps you not get stuck, for a clueless driver that just hits the gas around turns, it would spin out faster than an open diff, unless you counter steer and hold the drift :D .....then the fun begins.

Mystikal
12-03-2009, 11:40 AM
New snow tires, good. First time it snows, head to a big, big parking lot with no cars or poles. Get a feel for how the car reacts under braking and acceleration, then combine that with turning. Intentionally exceed the limits of the car (reasonably, mind you) to get a feel for what will happen, and what can correct it. Nothing but this practical experience will help you.

Shafhan
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
ill be keepin tht in mind thanks every1. i know this is a stupid question but how would i know if my car has LSD?