PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near PTBO want to help with motor swap?

supernaught
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I believe I have a failure in my block. After 2 headgaskets, pressure testing the head, having it milled flat, new timing belt, water pump, all gaskets and seals, all new fluids, new cap, rotor and plugs, rebuilt injectors, etc. etc. etc. it started right up this AM, let it warm up a bit and took it for an easy stroll around the block. 100 yards down the road I can't see out my rearview. Shut the car off and smoke trickles out the exhaust for about 5 minutes. Same symptoms I had before the gasket swap and milling.
Straight edge on the block surface was tight, locator pins were where they are supposed to be so the head IS on straight.
My only guess now is that there must be a crack in the block. Anyone else think this could be the case?
I've got the 250k motor in my 88 that I am going to part, so I might as well get that pulled and start looking for a warm place to work in PTBO.

I've got no garage and no engine hoist, but I'm willing to throw somebody some food, beers and a little cash if they can help me with a swap. Or at least lend me a hoist so I can get this bastard working. I'd like to do this as soon as possible as I'm getting rid of the Subaru and need this to run.
Don't make me take it to Ron Lay.

Any free hands are appreciated. If you have space in your heated/heatable garage, please let me know.

Cheers
Rob

supernaught
11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
nobody?

JINT
11-30-2009, 02:48 AM
that not exactly asking someone to help you change spark plugs, thats why noone replies ppl ain't got that time on their hands, and noone is gonna lend a lift for free.

supernaught
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
considering offering food beer and cash doesnt sound like free, and all I need is a crane, not an actual lift...
maybe others will be able to let me know if they themselves have the time or not.

m60e30
11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
i sure wouldnt charge someone to use my engine hoist. im not doing motor swaps that often, so its cool to get lots of mileage on the ol motor hoist. woop but mine is out on a job currently..

Brent
12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Princess Auto has a hoist for about $300, take a look at the website to see if it will work for you. Also, maybe you could rent one...I have a semi heated garage with a few tools you are welcome to use and I would help, but I have never done this before so I'd be learning, not taking the lead role in this venture. I live in Whitby...

supernaught
12-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to look into renting a hoist from a local place. But first I'm going to take one last stab at replacing the HG. Previous gaskets I used were both Victor Reinz since they have a complete gasket kit. I ordered a Goetze gasket and I can't believe the difference from the VR. The VR seals around the oil supply and entire surface are nearly non existant. New HG and TTY bolts came from autopartsway overnight so I'm going to try to get started on it tonight. If the HG does not work, I will have to find a hoist to pull the engine from the other car. Maybe by then I'll understand how I expect to get it back into my good car. I'm still collecting new hardware just in case a swap is necessary. I'll let you know soon if the heated garage will be needed. Thanks!

ryan.lewis1
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
ill do an sr20 swap real cheap

supernaught
12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
hoping to replace or upgrade only ;)
an rb26 maybe

ryan.lewis1
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
we can do that

supernaught
12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
jk, i don't know shit about those engines. Plus it would be a huge bitch to get it to work with the AWD. For now I'll be happy to just get it running before snow.

juzer
12-03-2009, 09:30 PM
we can do that

whats the power of that sr20 motor?

ryan.lewis1
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
stock.....about 202, with a little cash easly 250, 300 in a car that weighs nothing probobly more

supernaught
12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
isnt it an alum block?

ryan.lewis1
12-04-2009, 11:40 AM
yup

juzer
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
stock.....about 202, with a little cash easly 250, 300 in a car that weighs nothing probobly more

so how much complete swap

cormier
12-05-2009, 07:02 PM
isnt it an alum block?

Isn't it also a niassan engine *no-no*, theres probably more straightforward/useful swaps to be attempted...

supernaught
12-05-2009, 08:18 PM
ha, im not interested in a nissan swap. just mentioning that its alum to others. I jut need to get my car running for now. just got the head back on 10 mins ago. We'll see if the Goetze gasket will hold up better than the VR.
I couldnt find any visible cracks in the head or block. Spent about an hour looking over both. Once I have it all back together, I borrowed a cooling system pressure tester and I'll give it a spin.
Not really how I wanted to spend my saturday, rather be drinking beers and liesurely dismantling the touring. Oh well

supernaught
12-06-2009, 02:37 PM
mother****.
anyone know of a way to test if my head has a crack in an exhaust port? - while head is still on the car?

juzer
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM
mother****.
anyone know of a way to test if my head has a crack in an exhaust port? - while head is still on the car?

how much torque you used for head bolts?

juzer
12-07-2009, 02:05 PM
run the car for more than 100 meters, see if smoke slows down.
you may still have some coolant left in the oil if car was mixing before.
is it overheating or loosing coolant?

supernaught
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
how much torque you used for head bolts?

30N.m, 90', 90'

Let it run for about 10 minutes, revving to 3000 a few times, the more it revved the more it poured smoke. Never let up.
Was not overheating, but could not tell if it was eating coolant since I didnt get a chance to properly bleed the system.