PDA

View Full Version : Z4 reliability

Michel
11-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey guys,

A family friend is looking at buying a z4 either 3.0 or 2.5 (2003). I know the engines are the same from the E46 so I'm not worried about that since I'm familiar with those motors; but for current owners, what are some common issues you have had? I know they are built in the South Carolina plant, so is the quality below cars built in the Germany plant?(i.e e46's?)

High mileage owners please chime in!

Thanks,
Mike.

Souvrain
11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi !

i got a z4 for 3 years a 2003 with the 2.5L SMG trans
very nice car .. it get alot of look for shure !
i never had any Major problem with the car until i sold it .then 2 weeks later the electrict roof motor blown ! DOH! 3000$ .... so just check that make shure 1- it as been replaced or 2- listen good to the sound of the motor ..

anyway like a told you ! good car .. handle like a go-kart ... and you can feel every bump and rock thats out there ! lol good highway car top down :)

Lester
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,

A family friend is looking at buying a z4 either 3.0 or 2.5 (2003). I know the engines are the same from the E46 so I'm not worried about that since I'm familiar with those motors; but for current owners, what are some common issues you have had? I know they are built in the South Carolina plant, so is the quality below cars built in the Germany plant?(i.e e46's?)

High mileage owners please chime in!

Thanks,
Mike.The plant in SC is run by Germans...

simplycars
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
The plant in SC is run by Germans...

being run by the Germans and being assembled by the Germans are two different things - extreme example is VW in Mexico.

Singhle
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey,

I have a 2003 Z4 3.0, and have had it for about a year now. Love the car and haven't had a single issue. I'm at about 75,000 km.

I've heard that the electric motor for the convertible roof tend to go often, but my car still has the original one in it. Hopefully it will last a few more years.

It's probably the most fun car I've owned, but I'm looking to sell it and get into a Porsche 911. I guess I want more headaches...lol...

Lester
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
being run by the Germans and being assembled by the Germans are two different things - extreme example is VW in Mexico.The "Germans" assembling the cars at German plants are predominantly from North Africa and the Middle East...

simplycars
03-02-2010, 08:51 AM
The "Germans" assembling the cars at German plants are predominantly from North Africa and the Middle East...

This was in 1980s - so-called "guest workers".
Now, it is mostly Eastern Europeans or "east" Germans.

Lester
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM
This was in 1980s - so-called "guest workers".
Now, it is mostly Eastern Europeans or "east" Germans.What's your point caller?:D

simplycars
03-12-2010, 09:28 AM
What's your point caller?:D

skilled labour force with previous automotive industry experience

slemmer
03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
If it's made in the US then it won't be subject to the import tax which makes importing very attractive especially with our $ going up to par.

Quack
03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
they haven't been building Z4's in Spartenburg for a couple of years now, I went down with some other MAX members last year for the factory tour, they only build X5's & X6's there.

Lester
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I was there in 2008 when the last Z was presented off the assembly line...

Lester
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
skilled labour force with previous automotive industry experienceMaking Yugo and Lada products - instills confidence...*th-up*

simplycars
03-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Making Yugo and Lada products - instills confidence...*th-up*

quality of product assembled has nothing to do with the labour force.

Lada was better build than an average GM product at the time.

you do know that Eastern Europe has more skilled technicians per population than Canada and USA - people in most trades were required to complete trade schools - people just didn't become "carpenters" or "electricians" as it happens here.

I take Eastern European assembled car over US / Canadian assembled car any day.

Lester
03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
quality of product assembled has nothing to do with the labour force.

Lada was better build than an average GM product at the time.

you do know that Eastern Europe has more skilled technicians per population than Canada and USA - people in most trades were required to complete trade schools - people just didn't become "carpenters" or "electricians" as it happens here.

I take Eastern European assembled car over US / Canadian assembled car any day.Good for you - go right out and get one.

If you knew anything about modern tooling and manufacturing your argument would be over...

simplycars
03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Good for you - go right out and get one.

If you knew anything about modern tooling and manufacturing your argument would be over...

Pointless discussion since you already "know" everything.

Lester
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I know not to stereotype...

Michel
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
z4's are made in malaysia; there I said it.

Psyex
06-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Guess I am lucky my 2003 Z4 was made in Spartanburg, SC.