PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an American BMW

2005BMW325xi
11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a question is there anything wrong with buying a American BMW
really everything is made in Germany but if you live in Toronto,Ontario.
Would buying a BMW from the states a good idea?

Please let me know...

the pro's and con's

rdtx2005
11-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Pros:
- the more south you are, more often or not the cars will have no rust
- more cheaper (can find better deals)

Cons:
- Importing needs DRL module and Child Safety latches
- the whole process of clearing customs (need to be 3 days in advance, etc...)
- be aware of "flooded" cars

people can add to this

damameke
11-13-2009, 09:28 PM
rdtx2005 stated the pros/cons...

I dont see why there should be anything wrong buying a US car,
the number 1 reason is saving.

If there is no hassle I.E importing and clearing custom and doing the pertinent modifications to Canadian standard, I bet all of us will be importing US car.

Buyin a BMW in US, you can save a at least a few grand, I was looking at one and in Canada, it is averaging $45 thousand, in US, its bewteen $24 to $32 thousand US.

tlinkletter
11-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Careful. If you get stuff from the deep south where rust isn't an issue everythign rubber or plastic will have a good chance of being shot. Bushes, Lines, etc etc. Can be very costly to get all that fixed. But no rust. It's my personal belief that if you want a project or just a summer toy go south but if your going to run it year round don't bother and get a canadian unit.

2005BMW325xi
11-14-2009, 10:36 AM
The bmw is from Texas and all the work is done even the odometer is converted to km I just want to know what I should look out for. The owner said it is not a flood car and the carfax looks clean.

damameke
11-14-2009, 11:56 AM
The bmw is from Texas and all the work is done even the odometer is converted to km I just want to know what I should look out for. The owner said it is not a flood car and the carfax looks clean.

If you really keen on this car. I would suggest that you go to Bimmerfest or Bimmerforum and get a member/members from Texas to test and check out the car, he can even send you pictures and I am very sure they would be glad to do a fellow member a favor.

Then you can make a better decison.

I would get the service history, it is maintained by the owner, indy garage or dealer, what was the recent major component that was changed..

I dont buy the reasoning that the further the car is (south) all rubber bushing are out of whack, you dont read alot of these from a BMW forum, especially those cars in California/Florida.. its wear and tear not due to climate, if anything cold/freezing weather affects those .

2005BMW325xi
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
the BMW is in Canada already the owner bought the car in 2007 in Texas, all the work is done to meet canadian standards...just want to know what i should look for and the warranty is until 2011.

thanks

topaz330ci
11-16-2009, 01:10 PM
the BMW is in Canada already the owner bought the car in 2007 in Texas, all the work is done to meet canadian standards...just want to know what i should look for and the warranty is until 2011.

thanks

Ahhh ok, well all the hard work is done. Because it's an American car to begin with, you can maybe work on the price. Negotiate a bit, and let him know that U.S cars are generally cheaper and re-sale in Canada should be fitted towards the fact that it was a U.S car originally.

Nothing wrong with buying one. Just make sure everything is correct. Like mentioned, flood damage, clean everything, get it inspected... follow a typical buyer purchase plan... get all the facts straight and if it's what you want for a good price, then go for it.

What kind of car is it anyways?

vladvm
11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
i don't see why US car wil be cheaper if it is already imported in Canada. If it is in great condition, it should get the same price as canadian model. In fact, it might be better condition if the first few years of it hasn't seen winter at all. Goodluck on your purchase!

propr'one
11-16-2009, 01:54 PM
^^people generally prefer local cars (for a variety of reasons, some of which make sense).

damameke
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
^^people generally prefer local cars (for a variety of reasons, some of which make sense).

I agree.. its a mind thing ....

to OP. next time.. provide all pertinent info, like car is already imported.. etc etc

Instead of assumng what the car's faults are.. send it to one of the sponsors in max and get it check out, they wil be able to provide any technical issues the car might have....

Good luck with the purchase.

countrybimm
11-17-2009, 12:43 AM
all my vehicles come from the states...no rust, cheaper, and easy to get across the border...DRL kit is 40 bucks from canadian tire and can be taken off the day after safety....only thing i dont like is canadian tire has to do a safety on it, and i hate the thought of them even touching my ride.

pawcio
11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
....only thing i dont like is canadian tire has to do a safety on it, and i hate the thought of them even touching my ride.

good point. crappy tire blew my friends engine in his audi while doing an emission test.

ImolaZHP
11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
canadian tire only has to do the federal inspection, which is literally 3 minutes, they check the VIN, speedometer, airbag labels,etc.

brunp
11-18-2009, 06:14 PM
canadian tire only has to do the federal inspection, which is literally 3 minutes, they check the VIN, speedometer, airbag labels,etc.

why are you limited to Canadian Tire? Any MTO-certified location should be able to do a safety, so why limit to Canadian Tire :confused:

ImolaZHP
11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
why are you limited to Canadian Tire? Any MTO-certified location should be able to do a safety, so why limit to Canadian Tire :confused:

I'm not talking about the regular safety standards certificate. You can do that at many shops.

Canadian Tire is designated by RIV for conducting Federal Inspections.

pawcio
11-19-2009, 07:48 AM

http://images.evalu8.org/images/cdntireguy173.jpg

blk3
11-19-2009, 08:12 AM
imolazhp is right. not everyone is able to do federal inspections

topaz330ci
11-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm not talking about the regular safety standards certificate. You can do that at many shops.

Canadian Tire is designated by RIV for conducting Federal Inspections.

Here in Ottawa, when I brought the car in, I had to drive to Manotik which is about 25k away. I pull into some cheap garage with old beetles everywhere, and that was the guy I had to see for the Federal Inspection. He looked at it, checked the stickers and what not, and that was it. I didn't have to pay him anything. I never spent that 200$ or whatever they say it is at Canadian Tire. I went to some small independent shop I knew and he gave me a safety for 50$ and off i was.....

ImolaZHP
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Here in Ottawa, when I brought the car in, I had to drive to Manotik which is about 25k away. I pull into some cheap garage with old beetles everywhere, and that was the guy I had to see for the Federal Inspection. He looked at it, checked the stickers and what not, and that was it. I didn't have to pay him anything. I never spent that 200$ or whatever they say it is at Canadian Tire. I went to some small independent shop I knew and he gave me a safety for 50$ and off i was.....

Federal Inspections don't cost anything, no matter where you go...
There are a few other places in the GTA that can do it, but Canadian Tire is more accessible for most.

countrybimm
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
its not a safety, its just a inspection to make sure your car is upto canadian snuff....DRL,child restraints, few other things i cant remember its been a few years.