PDA

View Full Version : Still too early for winter tires?

David
11-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you guys think it's a good time for mounting winter tires? Based on the calendar, it's the right time to put them on. But the weather is unseasonably warm. There are going to be some days next week with day time highs above 10 degrees. I'm afraid of prematurely wearing out the rubber in these temps.

I'm supposed to put mine on next week but am thinking I should maybe hold off until daytime highs peak at 5 degrees.

What do you think?

ScotcH
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
no problem at all ... if it was like 25 or something I'd worry, but 10-15 is nothing.

Do you drive in the mornings or at night, when it's 0 or below? There's your answer.

Euro
11-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I put mine on last weekend when it was comfortable to work outdoors.

98Dinan3
11-13-2009, 06:47 PM
*thmbsdwn*mine are going on this week

T.Dot_E30
11-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Mine is going on this weekend.

Unless I get lazy...

Junaid
11-13-2009, 07:19 PM
mine will go on the day it snows

Dysantic
11-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm holding out hope. I may have to buy a beater SUV for a job and if that happens I'm just gonna store the car and then leave the summers on. If the job falls through I will probably put them on at the end of the month.

Mystikal
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Just registered my beater today, M3 is parked tomorrow. Finally.

King Luis
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
seeing the temperatures for the next week, i'm planning on changing next weekend...even though i've been saying that the last 3 weeks.

David
11-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks to all for the replies.

no problem at all ... if it was like 25 or something I'd worry, but 10-15 is nothing.

Do you drive in the mornings or at night, when it's 0 or below? There's your answer.

I do drive in the mornings and evenings when the temps are cooler. So mounting them now does make sense.

seeing the temperatures for the next week, i'm planning on changing next weekend...even though i've been saying that the last 3 weeks.

I'm like you. Been checking the temps every week and holding off. Not that I'm complaining though. It can stay at 10 degrees as the daytime high all through winter if it wants to! :D

pawcio
11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
i put mine on yesterday evening. yeah its still warm in the middle of the day but normally one drives to work morning and back evening or late afternoon so the temp is probably closer to if not below 7 degrees.

i also wanted to do it this weekend because its not as fun working on a car when its cold outside. the temp is gonna drop in a week or two anyway so changing to winters now is ok.

vladvm
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
you wear out your summers more, put those winters on!

pawcio
11-14-2009, 06:51 PM
you wear out your summers more, put those winters on!

+1...save the summers for the summer.

Dissembler
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I put mine on several weeks ago cause they had no tread left after doing A LOT of donuts because I needed a good reason to put my winter tires on because my summers needed 15psi of air every 12 hours cause the tire bead and sidewalls were ripped from donuts and auto-x...:huh?:

bmwm5lover
11-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Gonna be putting the winters on the V70 R next week, unless I get lazy

bimmerjoe
11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Your summer tires only work untill a certain degree of temperarure.
I watched a guy drive a lambo into a pole the other day because he thought the car could handle the corner he was flying through. When its cold your summers are the equivalent to driving on hockey pucks

glascm
11-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I put mine on last weekend when it was comfortable to work outdoors.

InfiniteDice
11-16-2009, 07:51 AM
If you have summer tires, change them now. If you have all season... well you can keep those on till the temperatures are steadily at, or below 0.

It pretty much comes down to preference, I have used all season, all year round in southern Ontario. Further north where the snow gets deeper, or where there are ice roads, you'd be better off with snow, or ice tires.

INFAMOU$
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Summers actually work surprisingly well in fluffy dry snow.. it's the slush that makes them GAME OVER.. I have done a few winters on Z rated tires.. and yea.. many times i ended up walking or getting a ride.

King Luis
11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
you are to change your tires from summer to winter when the temperature drops below 7c.

its not preference. summer rubber compound loses its traction at 7c. if you put on your winters when its too hot, you'll burn the tires up.

David
11-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks again to all for the replies.

My summer tires are actually all seasons, which is why I'm not concerned about keeping them on a little longer if needed. But looking at the weather I see most days are averaging daytime highs of about 7 or 8 degrees for the week. It looks like the positive double digit temps are done for the season. If we do get another warmish streak I'll just park it.

Edit: I should add my all seasons are horrendous in snow, which is why I bought winter tires. Makes a world of difference!