PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover or X5

MVPIRES
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm looking to get a new SUV I have a E36 so my first choice was X5, but the Range Rover looks so sweet!I dont know much about the Rover does anyone have any input on the Range Rover .X5 seems like a safe bet but I want to look into the Range Rover and get some info on it like repair shops and maintenance costs!! Thanks for your help on this

Euro
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
You better have deep pockets to maintain the Rover

MVPIRES
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Where do you repair them @ dealers I know only 2 dealers in the gta.Do they breakdown alot or when they do breakdown it gets costly.

Mikeee46coup
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Modern Range Rovers are terrible if you have a family; being stuck on the side of a road every 2-3 days is unsafe...seriously they are crap; the X5 is a vastly superior vehicle.

propr'one
11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwow you people are wrong.

I always say that there are no stupid questions, but in my mind, this is a stupid question.

I'd get the range rover for sure. I know a few people who have them, they're not the most reliable vehicles in the world, but i couldn't say from what i know they're vastly worse than X5's.

Oh, they're faster, look better, drive better, are much more comfortable (driving and being a passenger) than the X5's.

Its up to you, if it were up to me, i wouldn't have to ask:)

and if you're that worried about maintenance, get an extended warranty.

lvan
11-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Why not buy one that still has some warranty left? If you like it keep it, if not ditch it. I think it all depends who had the car before you.
If you get a used one and it was from some wanna be baller kid that did not bring it to a dealer, I would look elsewhere. Many want to show off but don't have cash to repair them.

Euro
11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
There is a very good reason why Rovers have a huge depreciation rate. Few people want to keep them after the warranty expires. Small market for them. They know how much it will cost them to maintain.

njansenv
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
There is a very good reason why Rovers have a huge depreciation rate. Few people want to keep them after the warranty expires. Small market for them. They know how much it will cost them to maintain.

You do know this sentence would be just as true for modern BMW's.... right?

simsimmah
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
RANGE ROVER HOMIE!!!! hands down... unless its a 4.8is

StikiGreenZ
11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I know two families that have Range Rovers (2005+). They are all running fine. Whoever said they break down every 3 days needs to stop sniffing crayons.

Euro
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
what about <2005, the ones off warranty?

stan man
11-11-2009, 11:15 AM
I personally like the Range Rover.

If I was a one brand crazy BMW fanatic :) I whould get the X5

Dan Bro
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I was in the same dilema before and to be honest I decided to go with a X5. So i've been looking around for a 4.8.
Range Rovers are nice but they are expensive on gas and on maitanance... Also keep in mind, BMW will hold its value longer then a Range Rover, hands down... so even if you would like to resell the SUV after you'll get more money for a Bimmer. If something happends to the car, repair or accident, you can fix the X5 quicker cause you can get the parts for it almost anywhere. With a Range Rover you have to go directly through the dealer and pay up the ass.

Another positive thing about an X5, if you have any questions you can just ask us here at Max, so you can do little things yourself instead of paying the dealer. Not so much with a range rover.

Thats my 0.02 cents

bmwm5lover
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Hahah, Ive been thinking the same thing, RR without a doubt, unless you want a sports car in an SAV body, then the 4.6iS is your ultimate bet.
RR smashes the BMW in luxury, status, looks, everything really. They are not THE most reliable, but spend some time on Xoutpost.com and you will see the X5 is no Honda either, tranny problems, electricals, etc.
They aren't CRV's, don't expect them to be and you will be fine.

bmwm5lover
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I was in the same dilema before and to be honest I decided to go with a X5. So i've been looking around for a 4.8.
Range Rovers are nice but they are expensive on gas and on maitanance... Also keep in mind, BMW will hold its value longer then a Range Rover, hands down... so even if you would like to resell the SUV after you'll get more money for a Bimmer. If something happends to the car, repair or accident, you can fix the X5 quicker cause you can get the parts for it almost anywhere. With a Range Rover you have to go directly through the dealer and pay up the ass.

Another positive thing about an X5, if you have any questions you can just ask us here at Max, so you can do little things yourself instead of paying the dealer. Not so much with a range rover.

Thats my 0.02 cents

Just beause you don't know of them, doesn't mean they don't exist.
There is just as big of a support group for RR as there is for BMW's. There are parts distributors online that sell parts for frations of the cost, and also, they use BMW engines(in certain years), so a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

MVPIRES
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the best bet is getting a Range Rover with warranty

kamus
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Is it a coincidence that the X5 was launched soon after BMW divorced from Rover Group in the UK? Could it be that the only reason they were involved with Rover for years was to get their hands on the Mini and to learn how to do the X5 better by studying what made the RR successful? But all that was a long time ago so I'm just speculatin..

MVPIRES
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
My sisters got the X5 and she had alot of problems with it but she had a cert. series so it was all covered (even rusty doors)

theblue
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I love how people are debating the different in reliability of two trucks with the same drivetrain. (remembering that he's looking used)

iverson03tj
11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Get the Rover, Its aluminum body is good, plus land rovers are known to last a very long time, I read this on discovery channel, and they said something about 85% of Land rovers EVER built are still running!!

ont-wrx
11-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Speaking from personal experience, our X5 ended up with an engine fire which resulted in engulfing the entire car, BMW covered the cost of the vehicle but never reported exactly what caused it, bad for there image i guess. The car was never modified and properly maintained, since then the family jumped into a Lexus and its been smooth sailing...

iverson03tj
11-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Rover ftw!!!!

lvan
11-12-2009, 03:12 AM
If you worry about repairs, the RR route will not work. Why buy a car and worry? Here is my bet,

X5 with BMW warranty > RR without warranty.
RR with warranty > X5 with warranty

Peace of mind, you get a loaner, no wasting time and dicking around with mechanics. Just enjoy it. It is cheaper to lose cash on resale then keep putting money into a car. Let alone the time wasted and nerves.

lvan
11-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Also to add,

If the RR has the same 4.8is liter motor , isn't that the motor that BMW X5 uses? In this case Range Rover will be moreover a status car. The only thing is, people will gosip more, you will be now eligable to come to some wedding where you never got called before, people will treat you with more respect, more materialistic ladies will jumb on your tail. All these factors do not fit my personality, and I would not mind having X5 with a V8.

iverson03tj
11-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Also to add,
The only thing is, people will gosip more, you will be now eligable to come to some wedding where you never got called before, people will treat you with more respect, :cool:more materialistic ladies will jumb on your tail.:D All these factors do not fit my personality, and I would not mind having X5 with a V8.

whats wrong with materialist women? :D

lvan
11-12-2009, 05:23 AM
hahah I think I pitched in enough, no need to put some very dry wood in the fire.

JNSchnitzer
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Why only these two trucks? I personally like the FJ Cruiser :)

MVPIRES
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
The reason I'm thinking Range Rover is $ bracket in that bracket you have BMW,Rover,Lexus,FX45 and so on; when I seen the Rover I started looking into it and it came across as a problem truck but some people love them some hate it some run great some have problem with them.When it comes to stature I thing it looks worse with two Bimmers outside than aRover and a BMW.I think I'll get the Range Rover(supercharged) with warranty over the X5.

Euro
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
^ oh you guys and your status buying. are you making up for deficiencies elsewhere? :rolleyes:

Mr seville
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
^ oh you guys and your status buying. are you making up for deficiencies elsewhere? :rolleyes:

we drive bmw's.....just sayin LOL

yuiou
11-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Also to add,

If the RR has the same 4.8is liter motor , isn't that the motor that BMW X5 uses? In this case Range Rover will be moreover a status car. The only thing is, people will gosip more, you will be now eligable to come to some wedding where you never got called before, people will treat you with more respect, more materialistic ladies will jumb on your tail. All these factors do not fit my personality, and I would not mind having X5 with a V8.

Only the 2003-2004 RR has the BMW engine (4.4L)

MVPIRES
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Still not decided,getting the X5 seems like I'd be settling cause the RR,s to complex of a truck!

whoami
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
My girl has the Range Rover sport S.. i would recommend this vehicle over the x5 anyday

i leave my 335 at home, just so i can drive her rover ....

tlinkletter
11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I always thought it was 2003 to 2005 for the 4.4 liter BMW motor. I didn't think it got the Jaguar derivitive untill 06. The Range seems a little more plush but either one would make a great vehicle I think. Basically same motor and both made by BMW. Only the one engine choice in the Range but it's a good one. I'd have less faith in post 06 models But then again are BMW's any more reliable then Fords?

MVPIRES
11-14-2009, 12:09 AM
I took a Range Rover for a test drive today and I love that truck!!!!!!!!!!!

rendered
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Seee ^

Who are you going to listen to? A room full of Bmw Fanatics or your own self?

Test drive both, same day, and you'll find your answer.

X5 is okay, but Range Rover Sport is just better.

I laugh when I hear about people whom never owned a particular car talk about reliability of that particular car from hearsay.

You never know till you own one yourself. I have three close friends whom all own 2006-2009 Range Rover Sports, 2 of which bought since new. They were all skeptical at first as was I, and they all were pleasantly surprised to find out the rumors are false so far. No headaches yet. Not to say after warranties have expired they won't have issues if they keep the vehicle. But at least they're great now. I've heard worse things from X5 owners... But not to say they're unreliable.

Aren't they using the same electronics and drivetrains as BMW 4.4 still? Someone pointed that out, no?

I'll probably grab an 07' just before the first snowfall for the winter just to see what the hype is all about. I love how they dont hold their value wholesale wise! hahaha, for me its at least worth buying one for the price I can get one at.

Eurostyle
11-16-2009, 01:50 AM
I love how people are debating the different in reliability of two trucks with the same drivetrain. (remembering that he's looking used)

lol Yeah, people should take a look at an RR and see just how many components are straight out of a BMW!!! Forger the driveline, (4.4L) but even half the interior is the same (or inspired)...*wave*

StikiGreenZ
11-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Yup, totally agree... My father in-law's 2005 RR has so many parts that look like they came out of my e46 (door locks, climate control, window switches, seat belts, etc...)

moscowpete
11-17-2009, 01:24 AM
why even bother asking....

The Range all the way. Really.

E46bimmer
11-17-2009, 02:18 AM
why even bother asking....

The Range all the way. Really.

+1... seriously, this is a no brainer. It's like comparing apples to oranges... both vehicles are in two completely different classes.

bmwm5lover
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
After driving one, WOW. Unbelievable. Heck of a truck.

sexxxybimmer
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
ARE u crazII? what kind of a question is that? X5 or RR??
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR all the way.
its like u are asking to get a Toyota or Bmw.
boy just buy the RR and let me take a pic with that beauty.

KevIn

sexxxybimmer
11-27-2009, 12:10 AM
How would be the maintenance for 2005 RR Hse with 100km?
Are they going to brake down with 100km?