PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changes by date not km??

Antz_Marchin
11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Just curious here, my car has been brutally underused in the last year and a bit and I'm curious if maybe I'm costing myself unnecessary money for an upcoming oil change. I have about 3000kms on my current BMW synthetic oil and it's probably about 18 months old. It's a '96 M3 with 77k should I be changing it before storage next week or waiting til next summer is done with and there's probably ~7 - 8000 kms max total on the oil?

I usually do it every year before storage but starting to wonder if this is overkill with the summer weekend mileage that it gets.

Thanks

T.Dot_E30
11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Do it in the spring when you put the car back on the road.

slemmer
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I was always under the marketing rant that you change your oil (mineral) every 3 mos or 8,000 kms whichever comes first. The reasoning for changing it by calendar is that even though you may not drive the car as much the acids absorbed by the oil is still there potentially causing long term problems if not removed from the oil pan. Mind you, I've never changed the oil in my snowblower and it's been almost 10 years. The manual said I was suppose to change it out in the first 20 hours of use!