PDA

View Full Version : accident repairs and resale value

slemmer
11-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm considering purchasing a vehicle that has a reported $4,000 repair bill. The vehicle is back to the same specs as it was prior to the repair (no structural damage - only fender work, paint etc.). The seller is asking the low value of what the Cdn Black Book is shows. Given all things equal, would that be a fair price or should I discount the asking price any futher? :confused:

europrince
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
My inexperienced opinion: It's Black Book value less reconditioning costs. The car has been reconditioned already, so if the repair was done properly, the latter doesn't apply. Asking the low value means he has accounted for the lack of original factory condition. Sounds fair to me.

Miguel
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM
keep in mind, a lot of claimed repairs have trumped up values... I'll bet a $4,000 insurance claim could actually be fixed for $2K if they didnt go through insurance.

Bliss
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I think you always have to be sceptical of sales like this. The car can be very close to perfect or very far from. I think, if you're not sure what you're looking for, or how to assess for possible structural damage, overspray, etc, it can be very difficult to gather a fair price tag.

If you're really serious about the car, I think i would want to bring this car in to get a proper inspection done, prior to making a deal. Someone that has a trained eye.

Miguel's right. If he went through insurance, a $4000 claim may not mean anything. If he paid out of his own pocket, then he might have cut corners. It's hard to say. Get it checked out!

rendered
11-07-2009, 05:22 AM
nothing wrong with accident title/ rebuilt title cars. Just have to make sure what was done exactly to repair the vehicle, prior to the accident. and whom repaired it.

Most of the time, these cars are cleaner, and in better physical condition than your average used car.

As they have fresh paint jobs, new suspension a lot of the times, and its a lot tighter guidelines to certify a rebuilt title (salvage inspection) than it is for anyone to certify a normal used vehicle.

It was probably a couple small things, and inflated repair bill. to touch up scratches or replace a bumper, or hood, its big money these days. People really enjoy "giving a bill" to insurance companies.

I wouldn't be worried. What are you looking at spending?

slemmer
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
check your PM

328IScreamer
11-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I am actually in favour of rebuilt title cars. You really do get more for your money and you get a car with many new parts. True resale value it lower but at the end of the day you can afford a more expensive car with your more and 90% of the time you can never tell it's rebuilt without looking at the ownership

INFAMOU$
11-08-2009, 11:21 PM
I am actually in favour of rebuilt title cars. You really do get more for your money and you get a car with many new parts. True resale value it lower but at the end of the day you can afford a more expensive car with your more and 90% of the time you can never tell it's rebuilt without looking at the ownership

+1.. but as mentioned above, if you don't know what to look for than make sure to have it checked out by a professional.