PDA

View Full Version : I was bored... so i gutted my interior

ericdalinda
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Well as the title says i gutted everything from the front seats back.

i will post pictures tommorow when it is sunny outside.

i have not taken the car out for a spin yet as its still sleeping for the winter.

Im very excited to hear the beautiful exhaust notes/road noise. plus the majour reduction in weight.

also if you guys would tell me your input on how the car would behave in handling accelleration. all the above.

ACS_DAN
11-05-2009, 09:43 PM
My only question is why? is this a track car? If not I'd suggest putting the stuff back as the nostalgia will wear off quite quickly. Not to mention people WILL make fun of you.

ericdalinda
11-05-2009, 10:19 PM
well my reasoning behind it is this

M50 manifold+throttle body =150
S52 cams = 400
tune = 100-400

OR acheive close to identical power to weight ratio by stripping of non neccessities. FOR FREE

Is this going to be a dedicated track car? no but it could be very easily
does this destroy resale value? i cant even imagine selling it

what i dont understand is how I will be made fun of?? yes it does look quite weird as the back half of the car is completly gutted. and the front is all intact.

but i want your reasoning behind it. thank you

ACS_DAN
11-06-2009, 01:33 AM
The interior serves a vital purpose to the car, if you're removing interior panels from the car without actually using it on a track, it's just a big waste of time. Do you really want the lack of sound deading and seating capacity just to get to the next stoplight before the guy beside you does?

Yes those mods are quite expensive for people like us that aren't exactly rich but there are other alternatives then sacrificing important interior bits.

A good set of springs is a good way to get your car to feel more in tuned with the road. Shocks and struts are recommended but not always used.

Fan Delete, this is borderline for me because there are obvious side effects to this.

As for the making fun of part. you've been a member of this forum for a while now, I'm sure you've been witness/ participated in some of it.

In the end it's your car but for a street driven car I'd really question the interior gutting.

E30 Girl
11-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Thats less then a $1000 for all that stuff why wouldn't you just save up over the winter or something. Expensive is $4500 and none of it making the car go any faster in a straight line.

SamE30e
11-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Why?

Blades
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
If your really dumb you can sell the stuff you gutted and put it into more mods.

Wait until the cops pull you over .. then your really going to have fun explaining your car is street legal and not for racing lol.

ericdalinda
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
if your really dumb you can sell the stuff you gutted and put it into more mods.

Wait until the cops pull you over .. Then your really going to have fun explaining your car is street legal and not for racing lol.

zoommgorzzz paaaallicceee cunt catch meehhhh,,,, allll beeee ttooooooooooooooooo fawwwwssssstttt fooorrrr pooooooooowwwwwwllliiiccceee!!!!!

jeremy
11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Put the interior back in...leave the sound deadening material out (I don't think you can put it back in anyways)..

edit...I had gutted my interior, it wasn't long before I wanted it back in. If it isn't a dedicated track car, it's not worth it IMO.

Fel
11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Ugh..... I knew there was a reason I got a little sad when I heard you bought this car....

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/01/facepalm.jpg

SamE30e
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Isn't this Jay's old car?

And since you took all that weight out, the car will sit higher, raising the center of gravity. Potentially making it handle worse, I don't think the minimal weight you took out will counteract that.

E30 Girl
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
zoommgorzzz paaaallicceee cunt catch meehhhh,,,, allll beeee ttooooooooooooooooo fawwwwssssstttt fooorrrr pooooooooowwwwwwllliiiccceee!!!!!

What with all 145hp you will have now...mature!

ericdalinda
11-06-2009, 11:16 AM
What with all 145hp you will have now...mature!

is that how much hp a M52B28 has??? i was always curious

E30 Girl
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
^^ It was just a number I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make

ericdalinda
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Isn't this Jay's old car?

And since you took all that weight out, the car will sit higher, raising the center of gravity. Potentially making it handle worse, I don't think the minimal weight you took out will counteract that.

yes you might be right....

I was a little worried on how the vehicle will react.

with more weight at the front and less at the back wouldnt i increase understeer???

obviously i know understeer is very bad, but i think with less wieght at the back for a very short car it would grip the road much better.

a very key part in this would definitly need a rear brace from left to right

NOTORIOUS VR
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM
If the guy wants to live with a sparse, loud interior let him. What's it to anyone here, none of you have to drive it. Only he does.

Different strokes for different folks.

Eric, are you going all the way as in removing the tar from the floors and such? That stuff is pretty damn heavy as well.

Not sure what suspension you have on it, but if you have coils you can get the car corner weighted to bring some of the balance back into the chassis.

thinair
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I've removed most of the interior behind my front seats, including swapping the stock seats with with fibreglass racing shells. You won't notice much increase in acceleration, and definitely not as much as doing cams/intake/software, which I have also done. The car is a little more tail happy now (oversteer) but that can be tuned somewhat with camber and swaybar adjustments.

The noise is ok, but it really sucks when it's raining, you basically hear all the water hit the insides of the fenders.

To be honest if I bought this car I probably would have done the same thing, but only if it wasn't a commuter and planned to hit the track often.

ericdalinda
11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
well it is my summer car, and i only plan on having it on the road May-October.

Long commutes? I consider anything over 60km a long commute.

thank you for the positive feedback, but i think i would definitly need coilovers for a track event.

so if this thing will see any tracking it will be quite a few times at the strip.

Im more excited on the more "raw" feeling it would give me.

and notorious ive only located on the floor some sticky substance under where the rear bench is and I will be removing that very soon.

but everything from the rear footwell to the console has remained intact... for now heheehe.

A minor removal is the insulation on the underside of the hood.

I think the only weight reduction other then mentioned that should happen that'll get my car to go even faster is the wieght around my stomach.

Bliss
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
If the guy wants to live with a sparse, loud interior let him. What's it to anyone here, none of you have to drive it. Only he does.

Different strokes for different folks.

Eric, are you going all the way as in removing the tar from the floors and such? That stuff is pretty damn heavy as well.

Not sure what suspension you have on it, but if you have coils you can get the car corner weighted to bring some of the balance back into the chassis.

Well said. Thread was cleaned up.

black bnr32
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I quite enjoy my daily driver supercharged m3 with a stripped back seat and trunk.

My butt dyno definitely told me the car performed better.

344i
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
So wait a min, this is basically a part out in the general forum and this hasn't been deleted yet?

Nice...

W2WDETAILING
11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
So wait a min, this is basically a part out in the general forum and this hasn't been deleted yet?

Nice...

you said it

344i
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM
you said it

I am glad to see its not only me who sees this point. I thought rules were there for a reason.

W2WDETAILING
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
to be honest i wouldnt of caught that if you didnt mention it but good job catching it hopefully someone else will catch on*th-up*

Bliss
11-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Nice...

You're right. Thank you. Fixed. I apologize sincerely we missed that.*angel*

richie_s999
11-06-2009, 08:02 PM
LOL. On the topic of removing stuff to lighten cars I have the back seat and trunk gutted in my e30 with lighter front seats and it was enough weight to removed to raise the wheel arches all around and inch. I am waiting till the spring to take the rest out as this is the last winter for the car. Once spring comes I am going to gut the rest put one coat of bedliner on the floor and make carbon fiber panels for the doors and put a half cage in. It will not be everyones cup of tea but alot of people jumped on me when I painted the car flat black till they saw it. I say it your car do to it as you want so you enjoy it.

Oh. And I am going to get the car lower again with the new suspension I planning to put in :)

arek
11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I usually rub one out when Im bored.

W2WDETAILING
11-06-2009, 08:21 PM
LOL. On the topic of removing stuff to lighten cars I have the back seat and trunk gutted in my e30 with lighter front seats and it was enough weight to removed to raise the wheel arches all around and inch. I am waiting till the spring to take the rest out as this is the last winter for the car. Once spring comes I am going to gut the rest put one coat of bedliner on the floor and make carbon fiber panels for the doors and put a half cage in. It will not be everyones cup of tea but alot of people jumped on me when I painted the car flat black till they saw it. I say it your car do to it as you want so you enjoy it.

Oh. And I am going to get the car lower again with the new suspension I planning to put in :)

someone is turning into a track whore hmm:)

richie_s999
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
someone is turning into a track whore hmm:)

lol. Hope your talking about the car

slimjim
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
lol r u guys serious about bashing this guys balls for removing his interior? and he will be made fun of? lol thats jokes.

my car is gutted. no vents, no tar/sound shit, no tools, no exrta tire, no back seats, and many other small parts.........and ya, its loud, i feel my ass vibrate when i drive...but it would eat my e30 with all that extra weight, so noone can tell me its pointless. Thats like saying why would you get cams/ suspension/ exhaust if your not going to track your car....seriously you guys are sounding like SUCH hypocrites*

and ya, you guys can make fun of me now since i gutted my car...i will make sure to cry myslef to sleep lol:(

thinair
11-07-2009, 05:39 PM
lol r u guys serious about bashing this guys balls for removing his interior? and he will be made fun of? lol thats jokes.

my car is gutted. no vents, no tar/sound shit, no tools, no exrta tire, no back seats, and many other small parts.........and ya, its loud, i feel my ass vibrate when i drive...but it would eat my e30 with all that extra weight, so noone can tell me its pointless. Thats like saying why would you get cams/ suspension/ exhaust if your not going to track your car....seriously you guys are sounding like SUCH hypocrites*

and ya, you guys can make fun of me now since i gutted my car...i will make sure to cry myslef to sleep lol:(

Haha you gutted your car! Oh wait, mine is slowly going that way too *wave*

I agree with every word you wrote.

E30M42cab
11-07-2009, 06:02 PM

I though about you when I saw this tread. When I remove the subs and shit from my trunk, and take the spare out for auto-x, my car sits up higher, the ass becomes light and I can pretty much slide around every corner on the track... which I know you witnessed. I even prefered to have someone come with me on every run to regain the feel the feel that I'm used to. Your car almost needs balast to get it to stick better.

thinair
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Your car almost needs balast to get it to stick better.

Not necessarily, an alignment can definitely help, while 50/50 distribution is nice, not all awesome handling cars have it. Ballast isn't needed for good handling, if that was the case the Ariel Atom would be a horrible car.

stan man
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Like the OP said, he was bored.

You will drive it like that for a while. Once you get bored with gutted interior you'll put it back in.

I liked the feeling of the gutted interior for about a day (but I had no interior at all, no carpets, no dashboard). It feels like you are on the race track all the time, even if you are going 50.

richie_s999
11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I though about you when I saw this tread. When I remove the subs and shit from my trunk, and take the spare out for auto-x, my car sits up higher, the ass becomes light and I can pretty much slide around every corner on the track... which I know you witnessed. I even prefered to have someone come with me on every run to regain the feel the feel that I'm used to. Your car almost needs balast to get it to stick better.

well looks like the rest of my interiour is coming out soooner then planned...picked up another e36 so the e30 is hitting rebuild to track status now instead of spring...one the full wieght reduction is done on the whole car it should be well balanced....goal is 2000lbs wet!!!! Bring the noise *rockout*

ericdalinda
11-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Like the OP said, he was bored.

You will drive it like that for a while. Once you get bored with gutted interior you'll put it back in.

I liked the feeling of the gutted interior for about a day (but I had no interior at all, no carpets, no dashboard). It feels like you are on the race track all the time, even if you are going 50.

LOL how do you get bored of that?!?!?!

thats simply amazing

cormier
11-09-2009, 10:25 AM
ha gutting interiors are so much fun! ive done it on every car ive had from time to time...but yeah eventually end up putting the seats back in...

DriveItSideways
11-09-2009, 02:24 PM
You should weight all the parts that you took out of the car, then we can really have a laugh. Everybody knows how heavy those plastic panels are, and that carpet.. thats gotta be 100lbs!

Be sure to let us know the improvements on your times between stop lights.:)

stan man
11-09-2009, 02:49 PM
LOL how do you get bored of that?!?!?!

thats simply amazing

It is, but with those sounds you start speeding, overtaking people and what not.
Next thing you know you're in a ditch :rolleyes: or worse in another car

Just remember not to brake any interior bits, so you can Lego it back together if you change your mind :D

thinair
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
People told me the same thing, it's been about 4 years now.

You should weight all the parts that you took out of the car, then we can really have a laugh. Everybody knows how heavy those plastic panels are, and that carpet.. thats gotta be 100lbs!

You'd be surprised how heavy the seatbacks and sound deadening are, plus the spare tire, stock battery, stock seats, etc. It all adds up. Sure 100lbs is only like 3% of the total car weight, but that's 3% less weight to accelerate, brake, or corner with.

E30M42cab
11-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Run on a quarter tank all the time too, for added effect:)

sproule905
12-07-2009, 02:51 PM
how'd the gutting of your interior go, Ericdalinda? oh and thanks for getting me banned..

uselessss