PDA

View Full Version : About to Purchase an E46

beeEM
11-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Hello, ive seen a really good E46 for sale (private) and im thinking of purchasing it. Its a 1999 328i 4 door with 85000k's manual transmission. Fully loaded all original 2nd owner car. I would like to take it to a BMW dealership and have a BMW mechanic take a look at the car. Does anyone know how much this will cost? Also, does anyone have any advice or anything I should look out for before I make the purchase? I dont want to buy a lemon and just want to kow if there are any serious and common problems with this year and if i'll have to pay huge $$$ for maintence in the near future. Im crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all your help. Im going by tomorrow so any advice is very much appreciated!

ericdalinda
11-05-2009, 04:40 PM
welcome to the forums, i would be a little worried with a 4 door 99 328 with only 85k first off. Another thing definitly take it to BMW to get it checked out, but be warned repairs could possibly quite expensive. For instance I have a 96 318ti swapped M52B28 and alternator needed to be replaced plus an oil change ran me just under 700.

so make sure you know what you could possibly get your self into.

E46bimmer
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Ask for all the service records and look at the mileage from each visit. To me it sounds like it was sitting at a garage for a long period of time or something. And maintenance and repairs isn't so bad so long as you dont take it to the stealership.

I just bought mine used and have had only good things to say.

The-Traveler
11-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah the milage is a little suspicious so get it checked out. Just keep in mind that the BMW Dealerships charge a lot of money for inspections.

You can get a don't remember how many, point inspection for around 70 bucks but that doesn't cover validating that the mileage is correct.

For that you need to pay a couple hundred for the engine diagnostics. If you want the transmission diagnostics done it's over 300 dollars.

That's what I was told anyway when I wanted to get my e46 inspected before I bought it.

One thing to be very weary of is the rear subframe cracking. Look up "rear subframe crack" on e46fanatics.com as well as here.

Good Luck.

XtasyX
11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
i paid 125$ at bmw waterloo for like a 125 point inspection or something and it was worth it as i wouldnt have gotten the dealership to change my ccv valve before i bought it. you can also bring it to rocco at rmp motors as he offers inspections too.
but yea, id get that subframe checked for sure and all the vins matches up. also run carproof and carfax.

beeEM
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info guys. How much does replacing the rear subframe cost on average?

Toxic0n
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
3-5k+, however BMW covers it in many cases. Got mine replaced for free plus I had a 2008 328xi loaner for two months :)

E46bimmer
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
3-5k+, however BMW covers it in many cases. Got mine replaced for free plus I had a 2008 328xi loaner for two months :)

So are you saying that BMW Canada will take care of the subframe issue at no cost just as BMW USA is?

King Luis
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. How much does replacing the rear subframe cost on average?

4k minimum. i've heard M3's getting up at the 12k range.

i'd stay away from the early years. they tend to have more issues than the later years.

Toxic0n
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
So are you saying that BMW Canada will take care of the subframe issue at no cost just as BMW USA is?

They covered mine, I am not saying they will cover everyone's.

AdrianBmW
11-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I got into a 99' 328i about a year ago from an e36 ! The E46 is simply amazing to drive, but what i ran into has been suspension issues make sure to check rear shocks and coil overs its common for them to brake after many years on a e46.. and 85k .. thats amazing, but sounds a bit suspicious. I had a buddy that bouht a 99 prelude wiht LOW LOW clicks and when he saw the UVIP it was wreked and not driven for 4 years becuase no one had fixed it ! lol so becareful.. check lights on dash board .. truthfully i would recommend taking it to a local bimmer shop.. i use BIMMERSPORT they are on here as sponcers call 905.670.9200 for an appointment and get the car checked. drive it feel the clutch out and listen out for noises..

xlash
11-13-2009, 09:07 PM
take it to RMP.

vladvm
11-14-2009, 04:51 PM
subframe damage is rare, but good to get it inspected. I'd be more worried with the low mileage. For sure lots of short trips, cold starts, stop and go.... very bad for drivetrain.

Get a 2002+ E46 instead. Better quality.