PDA

View Full Version : Stalling

csakai
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
My e30 has been acting up. Thing is.. I have a 99 m52 motor swap(non vanos) and I have no idea where to start looking. Car is fine when cold but when it warms up it will cut out at higher RPM's.. It won't start til I let it rest for a while then it eventually will stall again. Any ideas!!

Dissembler
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Cylinders may be flooding with fuel at high RPM if you have to let it sit before starting it.

Need more info though. Does it cut out at high rpms when its cold, and on that note, can it reach redline at all? Is it OBD 1 converted or OBD 2? Are you using stock injectors? What gas station do you go to and what octane? Any other mods to the engine or is it stock?

First thing I'd check without knowing any of the above is the fuel pump and pressure regulator. Then spark plug condition and coil strength.

csakai
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
at night after i blacked the trim

csakai
11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
1st time it happened it was quick. 1/2 a second at 100k. The fuel level was the lowest I've ran the tank. It was like i had air in the fuel line like when I had my old E21. After that I can rev her when she's cold and drive normal til she warms up 20 mins or so... then she stalls. That's why I don't think it's a connection or a pump problem. I'm thinking sensor

Bullet Ride
11-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Test your O2 sensor.
The car runs in open loop (ie not taking a reading from the O2) until it is warm. So if your O2 is bad it won't affect the car until it's warmed up. Quick test: when cold try unhooking the O2 sensor and drive around. The car will just stay in open loop regardless. See if the issue still occurs.