PDA

View Full Version : 1988 E32(735I) Transmission Problem?

Odd I/O
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I hope I have this in the right section of the forum. If not, mods please let me know where it should go.

So, my 1988 735I has developed a problem recently where on a cold start (first start of the day or after 5+ hours of being off) it would refuse to shift gears.

Usually when I accelerate from 0 km/h to 20 km/h I can feel a soft kick when I hit 20 km/h (I assume this is the gear shifting), at 40 km/h another kick and at 60 km/h and so on. This isn't happening anymore on a cold start. Now when I hit 20 km/h there's no kick and no acceleration. I can't get past 20 km/h no matter how much I step on the accelerator and I can hear the motor revving really high, and the needle on the tachometer, usually at 2 or under is spiking up to 3 or more. I then need to pull over and let the car idle for 5-10 minutes. After this it starts shifting at 20 km/h properly but shifting gears at 40 km/h may still require a little more running time and shifting at 60 km/h still more time.

The car's already been to the mechanic twice. He replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor the first time but it still kept happening so on the second visit he replaced the Idle Control Switch but the problem remains. None of the changes seemed to have made any difference.

Any idea with what could be wrong? Has anyone experienced some thing similar?

MANDD
11-02-2009, 07:47 AM
How is the transmission fluid level? Was it checked? It sounds like an "A" clutch failure, quite common. You should have a transmission shop look at this.

Not too sure why they would replace the coolant temperature sensor or idle switch.

Mark.