PDA

View Full Version : Summer rides, Winter beaters & Insurance

hockeyfan27
10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
As the winter driving season approaches we all get prepared in different ways. Some bolt on the winter tires to their ‘year round’ vehicle. Others put their only car away and purchase a Metro Pass. The rest tuck their summer ride away for the winter hibernation and pull the ‘winter beater’ out from the cob webs. Each of these scenarios requires different consideration with respect to your automobile insurance.

First, it is most important to note that your Ontario Automobile insurance policy affords you coverage even when you are not in your vehicle. Your ‘Accident Benefits’ coverage (income replacement and rehabilitative care) follows you when you are a passenger in a friend’s vehicle or even a pedestrian on the sidewalk. For that reason it is important that you understand how changing your insurance to fit your winter driving situation can affect your coverage.

For those of you who own one car and drive it all year long, your situation is straight forward and your insurance needs do not really change. I recommend that the minimum liability coverage anyone should carry is one million dollars. However, with the way lawsuits have been going recently, two million dollars is preferential and not that much more expensive, maybe $20-$200/year. Also, If you don’t carry collision coverage year round, some choose to add it in the winter months as the chance of a ‘hit & run’ is much higher and would not be covered if you don’t.

If you prefer to stay off the road all together and take public transit, in the past you most likely have called your broker/agent and ask that they put ‘parking coverage’ on your laid-up vehicle. The downfall of this arrangement is that you have also inadvertently removed your accident benefits coverage. If you are injured when riding in, or struck by, an uninsured vehicle you could be left to foot the bill for your recovery. Rather than requesting ‘parking coverage’ ask for suspension of road coverages (OPCF 16). This endorsement leaves your accident benefits and other physical damage coverage intact but at a discounted rate. When you want to lift the suspension of coverage call your broker/agent and have (OPCF 17) applied. The only draw back to this is that the monthly withdrawals continue through the lay up period and premium saved is applied as a credit once the suspension is lifted

If you have dedicated winter and summer cars then your may think it’s safe to simply put parking coverage on your summer vehicle and road coverage on your winter beater. As the Accident Benefits coverage will continue on the vehicle carrying road coverage you’re in the clear, right? Not exactly. Your concern now is maintaining physical damage coverage on your laid up vehicle. When consulted about this situation I ask two questions:
1- Is your car currently financed or leased?
2- Where you have your vehicle parked, is there ANY chance it could be hit?
If your car is financed/lease, then usually the financing/leasing company will demand full coverage year round, the OPCF 16 & OPCF 17 endorsement may be agreeable to them, saving you some money. If your car is in a position where it could be involved in a collision either by an out of control car, sliding on ice or by another car backing out of a parking stop and you remove all coverage, leaving only comprehensive and your car is damaged by another car, you have no recourse for compensation. You can’t sue. You can’t make a claim. That’s the law in Ontario. A few years ago I had a client who parked his sports car in his garage for the winter. He felt confident it was a safe location. After an ice storm a car coming down a hill lost control, slid up his driveway and pushed his winter car through the garage door, into his sports car. His policies (home & auto) covered the damage to the winter car and the garage door, but he was stuck with the repair bill for the sports car. The OPCF 16 & OPCF 17 endorsement is your safest bet unless your car is completely out of harms way. Then leaving only comprehensive coverage would be fine.

Please keep in mind that the ONLY way you are protected from hit and run damage is under your collision coverage. Applying OPCF 16 & 17 suspends this coverage. Whatever your winter transportation arrangements are, be sure to consult with your broker/agent. Completely explain your situation and ask for recommendations. That is what we are here for.

harman_rai
10-28-2009, 11:19 PM
great post, alot of stuff in here i did not know about

slemmer
10-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Glad you're here to explain the fine print

lvan
10-29-2009, 06:01 AM
A fantastic write up. Well done. Was really interested about this one.

pawcio
10-29-2009, 09:12 AM
great info, but i have a question. it doesn't really effect me but i'm curious.

it's regarding this...

If you prefer to stay off the road all together and take public transit, in the past you most likely have called your broker/agent and ask that they put ‘parking coverage’ on your laid-up vehicle. The downfall of this arrangement is that you have also inadvertently removed your accident benefits coverage. If you are injured when riding in, or struck by, an uninsured vehicle you could be left to foot the bill for your recovery.

so what happens to people who never had insurance because they never had a car, but one day are strolling down the street and someone in an uninsured hits them? or even in the situation listed above, why would you be left to pay the recovery bills?

BigD
10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
I want to add that it's critical to leave the beater on the policy when you go back to the summer car. I just have mine on fire+theft, it costs peanuts and it allows me to force the insurance company to not be able to disavow the car, which has happened. I used to have an 86 535 for a beater and I had no problem flip-flopping which car was on the policy. Then one fine autumn day, I went to change them back and ING said that my car is too old for them. I said how was it not too old last winter but now is. They said sorry, it is what it is. After threatening to leave, they agreed to take it back with a safety certificate. After that was done, the dude on the phone told me next time, just keep it on fire and theft and change the coverage.

lvan
10-29-2009, 09:30 AM
^ Yes. For all those E30 20 + lol

hockeyfan27
10-29-2009, 11:08 AM
great info, but i have a question. it doesn't really effect me but i'm curious.

it's regarding this...

If you prefer to stay off the road all together and take public transit, in the past you most likely have called your broker/agent and ask that they put ‘parking coverage’ on your laid-up vehicle. The downfall of this arrangement is that you have also inadvertently removed your accident benefits coverage. If you are injured when riding in, or struck by, an uninsured vehicle you could be left to foot the bill for your recovery.

so what happens to people who never had insurance because they never had a car, but one day are strolling down the street and someone in an uninsured hits them? or even in the situation listed above, why would you be left to pay the recovery bills?

If someone they lived with had an auto policy the Accident Benefits coverage would extend from that policy.

If they lived by themselves there would be no AB coverage through any Ontario auto policy. They need a lawyer.

pawcio
10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
If someone they lived with had an auto policy the Accident Benefits coverage would extend from that policy.

If they lived by themselves there would be no AB coverage through any Ontario auto policy. They need a lawyer.

so related to this. is there some sort of insurance that a person in this situation could buy to avoid this?

hockeyfan27
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I want to add that it's critical to leave the beater on the policy when you go back to the summer car. I just have mine on fire+theft, it costs peanuts and it allows me to force the insurance company to not be able to disavow the car, which has happened. I used to have an 86 535 for a beater and I had no problem flip-flopping which car was on the policy. Then one fine autumn day, I went to change them back and ING said that my car is too old for them. I said how was it not too old last winter but now is. They said sorry, it is what it is. After threatening to leave, they agreed to take it back with a safety certificate. After that was done, the dude on the phone told me next time, just keep it on fire and theft and change the coverage.

Good point! The age restrictions for a car currently on a policy and a car being added to a policy can differ. Though some companies have a max vehicle age and will not budge. (if it is a 'filed rule', they cannot budge)

hockeyfan27
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
so related to this. is there some sort of insurance that a person in this situation could buy to avoid this?

Start by asking your employer what your group benefit package includes. You can also purchase a personal accident & disability policy.

Dammerung
02-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Good point....if ure car is 19 just turning 20...dont remove the coverage...they wont cover it again especially ING or Belairdirect...thts y even in summer i keep the 90 4runner under parking insurance.

Dammerung
02-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Another question.....are there ne tricks to lowering insurance? I have to pay 580/month on my bimmer full coverage. 140/month on my 4runner full coverage....I DONT GET IT!!!

21, Male G2. No tickets/One accident not my fault. Was clipped by a pontiac sunflower/powder/fighter or wutever the hell its called with my 4runner.

4runner: needed a new front bumper. Pontiac went str8 to the junkyard. LOL (Front axle and tranny separated from the car).

Dammerung
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
SUNFIRE :@ grrrrrr

Young Gun
03-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Sry to revive old post but came across this,

When someone is injured as a pedestrian, they become a claimant on the at fault party's claim. Given that the person who hit you was identified, you will be claiming under their Bodily Injury section which is part of their Third Party Liability coverage.

Your first source of coverage is your own AB section on your policy. If you don't have that or you go past your limit of coverage you claim under the BI of the other party.

That is how it works in "No Fault" (DCA provinces, ON, QC & NB).

In "Tort" provinces (all others & most of the states) you get a lawyer and sue the shit out of the other party !

Just putting this out there in case somone does need to tap into this insurance.

hockeyfan27
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM

When someone is injured as a pedestrian, they become a claimant on the at fault party's claim. Given that the person who hit you was identified, you will be claiming under their Bodily Injury section which is part of their Third Party Liability coverage.

Your first source of coverage is your own AB section on your policy. If you don't have that or you go past your limit of coverage you claim under the BI of the other party.

Is there any recourse for the injured pedestrian if they have no insurance of their own/in their household and the "at fault party" is also not insured (as in the scenario described above) or not identified (hit and run)?

Young Gun
04-07-2010, 03:11 PM
If the other party is not insured your only source is lawsuit. If the other party is not identified and you really have no insurance through work or anyone in your household you are SOL. I mean OHIP will cover your medical expenses in Ontario, but anything such as prescriptions or cyropractors would be out of your pocket.

E36is
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
thread revival:

For a winter vehicle, what is the absolute best insurance cover (ie: cheapest) that i should get for this vehicle? Liability and comprehensive or just liability? As for my other car, while it will be in the garage, im confused if i should still keep full insurance on it just incase the beater breaks down and i have to use the other car? Or if i just put fire and theft on that car can i easily re-instate full insurance on it and use the car while i fix up the beater?? What do other people do??

hockeyfan27
10-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Hi E36is, you raise a good point!

What coverage you purchase should depend on the value of the beater. If you can afford to replace the car if it is a write it off, then carrying only liability would be fine (and the cheapest). Otherwise, go with full coverage.

With respect to switching cars up if the need arises; you don't need to leave comprehensive on the summer vehicle to do that. However, If your summer car is older, to re-add it; your company may ask for pictures, an appraisal, or a safety certificate if you didn't leave comprehensive on it for the laid up months. They may not even allow you to add it back on. The rules for a car currently listed on a policy vs. a car that has to be newly or re-listed can be different.

When calling your agent/broker to make arrangements for your winter beater, discuss the process of re-adding your summer car to make sure you aren't creating future headaches.

Point of interest: Comprehensive coverage is not affected by your driving record. If you have a recent at fault accident or have never had one, the rate your company would charge (exclusively for comp.) is identical.

Ahctuning
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
^^
Let's say the summer car is newer (than the winter beater) and has only liability coverage for the winter hibernation period. Is emergency vehicle switching coverage automatic or this is something that has to be pre-arranged with the insurance agent?

And what if the winterbeater dies on a friday evening when the insurance office is already closed for business and you cant call the agent to advise you're switching vehicles, can I just pull the summer car out of the garage and use it all week end long? Would I be covered and to what extent is the coverage?

E34TDS
12-08-2010, 12:24 AM
My summer car IS a winter beater....:rolleyes:

hockeyfan27
12-08-2010, 05:04 PM
^^
Let's say the summer car is newer (than the winter beater) and has only liability coverage for the winter hibernation period. Is emergency vehicle switching coverage automatic or this is something that has to be pre-arranged with the insurance agent?

And what if the winterbeater dies on a friday evening when the insurance office is already closed for business and you cant call the agent to advise you're switching vehicles, can I just pull the summer car out of the garage and use it all week end long? Would I be covered and to what extent is the coverage?

Sorry! I missed this...

A switch between cars you already own is NOT AUTOMATIC!!! It must be discussed with your agent/broker. No discussion on record = not covered in any way.

A newly acquired vehicle has VERY different rules; there are limited automatic coverages for a brief period of time. Depending on your situation, you may not even qualify for the automatic coverage. (ie: if you have more then 1 auto policy in your name) As a rule our brokerage advises that our clients report all changes to us before you take delivery of a new(or new to you) vehicle.

With insurance, never assume you have coverage, get it in writing or at least verbally (and note the persons name, extension &or employee #)

My summer car IS a winter beater....:rolleyes:

My winter beater IS a summer car :D I decrease my collision deductible for the winter months.

M1_DRM
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
good thread... I am new to the site and have just read it.

About 5 years ago, during a heavy winter storm I was driving my pathfinder to work and entered the underground parking garage. There was a lot snow on my vehicle and many of the windows were covered. Why backing up into a spot I hit a very low porsche carrera 4s that was being stored with a white car cover. The walls of underground parking were white and I could see the car clearly.

Anyways, family member that work in insurance, told me that the porsche owner could be at fault and they should not storing their car in a public place like that and I should check to see if he removed the insurrance for storage. This would mean that the guy would be forced to deal with it and insurance would say 'too bad' to him. I took responsibility and paid for the damages and told the guy that it was hard to see his car and also about the insurance advice my family gave me. In the end, he suggested we split the cost and I was grateful.

This year I stored my M3 and did it right. The storage place that I used stated that I needed to have insurance. I left the minimum on as this is a professional storage facility and not open to other public cars. It was also cheaper than month parking. LOL...

richie_s999
01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
hockeyfan27 - your PM box is full and trying to contact you for some quotes!

hockeyfan27
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Apologies. I'm a digital hoarder.

Goochbot
08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi, I apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong section or if this topic has been covered elsewhere on the forum. Should that be the case kindly direct me to the appropriate thread as I have been unable to find such.

I would like to get an idea of what I would expect to pay for insurance as a 28 year old male with a perfect driving record on an 80's 325 eta.

Thank you for your assistance.

YYZF22N55
05-08-2014, 01:30 AM

That is how it works in "No Fault" (DCA provinces, ON, QC & NB).

In "Tort" provinces (all others & most of the states) you get a lawyer and sue the shit out of the other party !

Just putting this out there in case somone does need to tap into this insurance.

You are correct about coverage through Bodily Injury (Third Party Claims) and how it provides coverage beyond Accident Benefits, but you're missing a key point.

Accident Benefits is a mandatory coverage as long as you have at least Liability (min. requirement to drive a car legally) on the vehicle.

To make a long story short - Anyone that gets injured as a result of a Motor Vehicle Accident will have access to Accident Benefits. No don't fret.