PDA

View Full Version : M3 vs S4

///MG
10-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if there was anyone on here that had a chance to drive both of the above mentioned cars,

an 04-05 BMW M3 and/or a 04/05 Audi S4.

I was comparing some prices and it appears that both these cars can be aquired for roughly $30-35G.

What would you get if you had to make a decision?

Personally, I love BMWs, especially the Ms. I have an E36 M3... had it for over 2 years and I love it. My buddy got an 04 A4 (3.0L quattro) and the car is very impressive as well, however not enough juice - hence I was thinking about the S4.

I'd appriciate any input as I have no experience with either car.

Thanks.

Sickbimmer
10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I have both. I think the m is better overall. S4 has a harsh ride is is horrible on gas. 380 km on a tank of gas. (70 litre). Both are fun in the thier own ways.

325ixE30
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
The Audi's Engine is IN FRONT of the front axle.... Result terrible weight distribution, can you say under-steer?

That being said the Audi has AWD and arguably one of the nicest interiors in the business.

If you are a true driver, go with the BMW, if you want a good all weather car, the Audi is a good choice.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-26-2009, 10:38 AM
The Audi's Engine is IN FRONT of the front axle.... Result terrible weight distribution, can you say under-steer?

Unless you're planning on tracking the cars (which most people never do) that isn't a big deal.

IMO the M3 is the nicer car when it comes to full out performance... But for DD duty the S4 is gonna be nicer. AWD, V8, really nice interior... It will be a hard decision IMO. Not sure what I would do either.

Drive both back to back and make a decision.

bmwm5lover
10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I was considering a S4 for a brief period myself(althout a couple years older but low mileage) and one thing I seemed to read and hear is that the TTurbo's are weak and that they are plagued by extremely expensive Tbelt change and electrical problems.

Plus Im a BMW guy at heart.

Sickbimmer
10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Drive both first. The s4 is great to drive BUT, it rides alittle harsh. Handles great though. DD is going to hurt you on gas. I'm hoping to sell my avant s4 because of that.

Steve30
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
M3 hands down. now if it was an rs4 it would have been a tougher decision :P

3SERB
10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I think this is a useful reference

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PsCTcjoUEpA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PsCTcjoUEpA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nachos23
10-26-2009, 01:52 PM
This should answer all your questions in regards to which brand to buy....... TOp Gear evaluation of an M3 vs S4 vs AMG Mercedes..... Think it's pretty obvious..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY

Steve30
10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
ahh what i would do to have one of their jobs...

This should answer all your questions in regards to which brand to buy....... TOp Gear evaluation of an M3 vs S4 vs AMG Mercedes..... Think it's pretty obvious..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZExdTHHjY

King Luis
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
drove my buddies A4 a couple times...it wasn't an S4 but he's had his problems and it seemed to cost him a whole lot of money to get it fixed. everything seemed alright but the drive in the M3 was much better.

Qube
10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
M3 hands down. now if it was an rs4 it would have been a tougher decision :P

Agreed! RS4 would have skewed the polls in the other direction (and the price range!) :) Mmmmm... B7 RS4 Avant...

spoony_prelude
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
id probably rock the s4 because..... although the M is well... and M, At least with the audi its a practical year round car. whether you throw some snows on it or not getting stuck is a thing of the past where as, an M unless your spending 2gs in snow tires, you will get stuck. I somewhat regret building my car as I could have had an s4 or even sti which would save me quite a bit of money. I cant drive my bimmer in the winter, so i need a beater, so now 2 insurances, 2 sticker renewals, 2 tanks of gas, 2 cars to maintain..... and so on.

Jay

Qube
10-26-2009, 07:55 PM
id probably rock the s4 because..... although the M is well... and M, At least with the audi its a practical year round car. whether you throw some snows on it or not getting stuck is a thing of the past where as, an M unless your spending 2gs in snow tires, you will get stuck. I somewhat regret building my car as I could have had an s4 or even sti which would save me quite a bit of money. I cant drive my bimmer in the winter, so i need a beater, so now 2 insurances, 2 sticker renewals, 2 tanks of gas, 2 cars to maintain..... and so on.

Jay

You can't drive your E36 why? Because the lip is so low to the ground it's useless? If not, there's no reason you can't put some snows and be on your way. Do you have DSC/ASC? If so, that's even less reason you can't do it. When I had the E34 535i with WinterSport 210s, there was no traction control and there were no issues.

Mystikal
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Jay

2gs in snow tires for an E46 M3? You can get brand new wheel/tire sets for less than a thousand, it's just regular 17" 3 series fitment with spacers on the back if you have to.

And storing your car to drive a winter beater should SAVE money if you're doing it right.

bmwm5lover
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
And storing your car to drive a winter beater should SAVE money if you're doing it right.

Truth.

Whatever I end up with next, most likely RWD again, will be an all year car. Some snows, the right driving attitude and you will not have problems in the winter. I've driven an e30 325is on near bald all seasons and I never got stuck. I had a LOT of fun with it, but never got stuck.

EMPIREM3
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I have had the chance to drive both.

the S4 is practical in everyday life and winter.

the m3 is not so practical, and cant even use it properly in winter. However, it is so much more fun to drive.

uber e36
10-27-2009, 12:30 AM
I was considering a S4 for a brief period myself(althout a couple years older but low mileage) and one thing I seemed to read and hear is that the TTurbo's are weak and that they are plagued by extremely expensive Tbelt change and electrical problems.

Plus Im a BMW guy at heart.

I've got a B5 S4 with the biturbo 2.7 engine. Few thoughts on your comment...

"are weak"
Don't really know what this means?

"plagued by extremely expensive Tbelt change"
They're not plagued by tbelt changes. Yes, you have to change the tbelt when suggested (I think most do it around 90-100k). Is it expensive? I didn't find it outrageous...

"electrical problems"
Haven't had one yet...

The B5 S4 gets a bad rap because people chipped them and never let the turbos warm up or cool down. If you find one that's maintained well, they're a blast to drive all year and are very rewarding!

Having said that, as a Summer car, M3s are hands down the winner...

///MG
10-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Hmm... so the replies are basically what I expected them to be (from BMW drivers).

I find it hard to believe that the stock S4 avant consumes more gas then your 1,000,000hp M3 Fabio but less then 400km on 70L sucks for a DD.

As far as Top Gear is concerned... I watched every episode of that show and I think it shouldn't be taken seriously. The tests they have, although hillarious to watch, hardly reflect the cars' true capabilities/uses/etc. Remember the M3 vs Prius mileage test? If you owned a Prius, would you ever drive it the way they did? Or... would you buy a Ford Fiesta to race a Vette in a shopping center? All I'm saying is... Clarkson's opinion shouldn't be interpreted as doctrine for drivers.

As far as the M3 and S4... I think I'll buy an S4, put a BMW badge on the hood... an ///M madge before the S4, instal M3 style fenders, swap the seats for some good old fashioned vaders and drive around GTA pissing off all BMW and Audi fans... or get a honda.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll test drive both cars but I'm leaning towards the M3.

lvan
10-27-2009, 07:04 AM
IMC, I live in the city. I would drive M3 during the summer and hop on the ttc in the winter. IMHO , too many shitty drivers with no winter tires, it becomes a night mare not pleasure. If I need a car for a skii resort and so on, rent a car is there. If I dont take the buss, there is subway and subway rules.

///Maluco
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
As an overall car for daily commute, I prefer the S4. I like the driving experience the M3 offers, but the Quattro system is an advantage during the winter months...on top of the V8 grunt it also provides.

I prefer the interior of the B6 over the E46. Considering how much time being spent in any car, I would also have to take that into account. This is the reason why I never purchased a Grand National and GNX....I cannot stand their interiors! But I love the exterior and what's in the engine compartment.*rockout*

Sickbimmer
10-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Hmm... so the replies are basically what I expected them to be (from BMW drivers).

I find it hard to believe that the stock S4 avant consumes more gas then your 1,000,000hp M3 Fabio but less then 400km on 70L sucks for a DD.

As far as Top Gear is concerned... I watched every episode of that show and I think it shouldn't be taken seriously. The tests they have, although hilarious to watch, hardly reflect the cars' true capabilities/uses/etc. Remember the M3 vs Prius mileage test? If you owned a Prius, would you ever drive it the way they did? Or... would you buy a Ford Fiesta to race a Vette in a shopping center? All I'm saying is... Clarkson's opinion shouldn't be interpreted as doctrine for drivers.

As far as the M3 and S4... I think I'll buy an S4, put a BMW badge on the hood... an ///M madge before the S4, instal M3 style fenders, swap the seats for some good old fashioned vaders and drive around GTA pissing off all BMW and Audi fans... or get a honda.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll test drive both cars but I'm leaning towards the M3.

Believe it or not my M3 gets about 550 km on a 66 liter tank. It's very efficient when your not hammering it. The Audi's all wheel drive and 4.2 V8 make that impossible.

NOTORIOUS VR
10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I've got a B5 S4 with the biturbo 2.7 engine. Few thoughts on your comment...

"are weak"
Don't really know what this means?

Same here... The turbo's are small and when you get people that beat on them with upped boost you get failures (just like the 335i's are seeing now). I have a 135k on my S4 on original turbos. No issues here other then I want more power :D

"plagued by extremely expensive Tbelt change"
They're not plagued by tbelt changes. Yes, you have to change the tbelt when suggested (I think most do it around 90-100k). Is it expensive? I didn't find it outrageous...

Recommended interval is 120k I believe... most do it between 80-100k for safety. I did mine myself and it's really not that bad of a job since the whole front end slides forward without much effort. But really it isn't much more to do then any other car with an cramped engine bay.

"electrical problems"
Haven't had one yet...

Same.

The B5 S4 gets a bad rap because people chipped them and never let the turbos warm up or cool down. If you find one that's maintained well, they're a blast to drive all year and are very rewarding!

Yup... the B5 S4 is the last of the turbocharged Audi's that can be easily made into a monster. Subtle exterior that ages well, a nice interior and a drivetrain that really makes it unique!

Having said that, as a Summer car, M3s are hands down the winner...

The E46 M3 has a lot to offer over the older B5 S4 stock for stock. The chassis is stiffer, the suspension is better, the weight distribution (as mentioned) is better. But even then, after driving a few M3's from my buddys and they driving my car, I'm always happy to get back into my S4 and I always get compliments on how nice my car drives :)

Then again, my car isn't stock (neither are theirs tho). *th-up*

///MG
10-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Believe it or not my M3 gets about 550 km on a 66 liter tank. It's very efficient when your not hammering it. The Audi's all wheel drive and 4.2 V8 make that impossible.

and when you hammer it?

rendered
10-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I have both.
Apples and oranges!

M3 is more agressive and fun in the summer!

S4 is smooth linear power, nice tuned European v8 sound, and quattro awd is amazing all year round. Makes me want to go out and drive around after a fresh huge snow storm! I'd like to see you do 120km/h sideways on the hwy in an m3 during a fresh snow fall! Haha very capable in the S4, the m3 would struggle all day long and stop as soon as you hit a steep incline. And yes the S4 4.2v8 is a pig on fuel. I get 420km/tank ussualy.

I much prefer my 2001 b5 s4's! They are classic timeless design and you can have so much fun with that motor!

Nick_V
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
FWIW, I'd take a B5 S4 over a B6 anyday. I know a guy that has a B5 with bolt ons (K04 turbos, fuel system upgrades, software, etc.) and not only is it a ROCKET, it's totally civilized and comfortable. Sounds awesome too. He was running mid 12s before the fuel system upgrade. There are relatively few tuning options for the B6 V8 motor that don't cost huge money, from what I've seen. Plus, in terms of interior, B5>B6 IMO.

sproule905
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
here is a pretty cool ad, not comparable as its a 3 series against the R8.. haha

///MG
10-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Would the new M3 be in the same class as the new S5?

NOTORIOUS VR
10-28-2009, 06:34 PM
^^^ No... the new S line of cars do not compete with ///M's....

The upcoming RS4/5 is going to be the new competitor for the new M3's.

The current S4 competes with the 335i price/class wise.

uber e36
10-29-2009, 12:26 AM
One of my clients has a really nicely modified S5 and it's a great car. Better looking than the 335i in my opinion... Coupe styling with Quattro!

///MG
10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
^^^ No... the new S line of cars do not compete with ///M's....

The upcoming RS4/5 is going to be the new competitor for the new M3's.

The current S4 competes with the 335i price/class wise.

Thanks for clarifying. RS5 you say....... I'm looking forward to that *th-up*

parm
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
V8 all the way Audi or the BMW.

TNation
10-31-2009, 05:21 PM
I would get the M3, but I'd realize fully that the M3 is a terrible winter car. The S4 is disgusting with its gas mileage, I don't find the acceleration to be that great, and it has VW unreliability with electrical issues.

rendered
11-02-2009, 01:30 PM
^ again with this fool? You haven't owned either! How can you comment on anything to do with reliability or fuel mileage? Audi S4 4.2 is not a volkswagon genious nor unreliable, it's an Audi, hence the badges on the car.

I'm sorry we don't praise your reliable honda's and Toyotas here but it's a BMW forum. I'd suggest you migrate back to the Japanese cars and quit posting dimeening comments about the cars we all own, which you have never owned. Once again, being a car lot boy doesn't count for having plenty of "drive time" behind the wheel.

rendered
11-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Btw Tyler aka TNation, are you in the "scene"??? Lmao. Go do something productive with your life and write more poetry for us to laugh at.

TNation
11-04-2009, 02:01 AM
^ again with this fool? You haven't owned either! How can you comment on anything to do with reliability or fuel mileage? Audi S4 4.2 is not a volkswagon genious nor unreliable, it's an Audi, hence the badges on the car.

I'm sorry we don't praise your reliable honda's and Toyotas here but it's a BMW forum. I'd suggest you migrate back to the Japanese cars and quit posting dimeening comments about the cars we all own, which you have never owned. Once again, being a car lot boy doesn't count for having plenty of "drive time" behind the wheel.

Volkswagon owns Audi, Mark buddy. And I think you meant to spell *'demeaning'. VW and Audi are generally on a whole, electrically prone to plenty of issues. And I drove a B6 S4 for about a month last January, always had problems. And I owned an M3 ;)
but enough from you, child, go play in traffic please.

europrince
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Yup... the B5 S4 is the last of the turbocharged Audi's that can be easily made into a monster. Subtle exterior that ages well, a nice interior and a drivetrain that really makes it unique!

The B5 is aged. It's done. I'm sorry to bring you the bad news.
The B6 is aging. The B7 is keeping it's own with the trapazoid grill.

europrince
11-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Rendered and TNation. I think everyone on here has had enough of your cat fight. You guys both got banned already because of this. Grow a pair and shut it.

89 redrocket
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm married with 2 young adult children. I own a B5 A4 1.8TQ, a 330Xi and an E30 325iX (garage queen). Two winters ago I sent my 2 kids off to work in the Quattro (didn't have the 330Xi then) and a snow storm hit real bad. I had no fear of them coming home whatsoever-traffic was obviously light and the Quattro with Blizzacks was unstoppable and SAFE, SAFE, SAFE. Also need factor in the peace of mind when my wife takes it out in bad weather. Realiability has been fair, at 200K kms the turbo is still perfect. I change oil myself 2/3 times per year in all my cars, either 0W-30 Castrol or 0W-40 Mobile 1. I had the Audi on the track for a HPDE and it performed flawlessly. I'm a member of BMWCCC & took the 325iX to Bav Auto for their S&S. Car ran flawlessly. BMW has the advantage of great support from Bav Auto, BMWCCA, local CCC club, RoadFly, MaxBimmer, etc. They are both great cars (S4 & M3) and the choice between them is likely a matter of your circumstances. If I were young, single, lived in a major urban centre where I could take the bus occassionally, I would go for the M3. In MY case, I don't need S4 power but love my A4 with turbo and Quattro. I have to say that most of the other comments posted here were very educated, correct.

Fel
11-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Rendered and TNation. I think everyone on here has had enough of your cat fight. You guys both got banned already because of this. Grow a pair and shut it.

lol.... well, looks like someone is on the ball. Look who's gone again.

1BADBMR
11-04-2009, 06:20 PM
///M3 FTW
(Biased Opinion)

Ask this same question on VW/Audi forums and they'll say S4.

I'm surprised Meegis hasn't voiced his opinion yet:P

rendered
11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
lol.... well, looks like someone is on the ball. Look who's gone again.

Lol, thank you maxbimmer gods! Now I can act normally again and remain reserved for the most part! I'm really not an a-hole but that kid who is friends with my 20 year old little cousin talks way too much crap for his own good. I just felt I should call him out on anything silly he says considering my cousin tells me exactly how much of a fairy he is in person.

OP you're welcome to come test drive both an M3 and one of my S4 4.2's to do a direct comparison yourself. The S4 feels like a stable tank when the road gets nasty, and the M3 always feels hyper, agile, and agressive, but does not inspire confidence when the roads get nasty.

S4 fuel mileage isn't the greatest, I find the B5 better, but the ignition coil recall for the 4.2v8's helped a lot with the fuel mileage! Fab, I would look into getting it done! You should be seeing well over 400km per tank!

Meegis's car is sexy! What a nice rare package he has!
I'm currently looking for a white 2008/2009 RS4 cabriolet for spring for myself. Has to be white on black though.

Sickbimmer
11-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Dealer changed all my coil packs already. Warranty coverage FTW!!

Marky_mark
11-04-2009, 11:31 PM
M3 hands down

Dado 540
11-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Now do the poll on the Audi forum and let us know what the results are

NOTORIOUS VR
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
The B5 is aged. It's done. I'm sorry to bring you the bad news.

Bad news? It's done? What's done??

Sure it's aged (which I said in my post), just like old BMWs since the Bangle designs came out. Actually I think the older BMW's aged even worse because of how modern the Bangle BMW's look.

That said, I still think my car looks modern enough not to be considered an old bucket.

Besides, I don't think someone driving an E39 should be throwing stones from their glass house *smoke*

NOTORIOUS VR
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Now do the poll on the Audi forum and let us know what the results are

How about on a Honda forum :D

parm
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
V8 with 400+hp bad gas mileage! is like asking why a go kart is so bumpy.

Sorry if this topic is late.

///MG
11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm actually suprised that the thread has received so many comments. Thanks to everyone who's contributed... FYI - you haven't made my decision any easier.. lol

europrince
11-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Bad news? It's done? What's done??

Sure it's aged (which I said in my post), just like old BMWs since the Bangle designs came out. Actually I think the older BMW's aged even worse because of how modern the Bangle BMW's look.

That said, I still think my car looks modern enough not to be considered an old bucket.

Besides, I don't think someone driving an E39 should be throwing stones from their glass house *smoke*

Semi valid points ;) Your car is aging better than e36 or pre-LCI e46.

But I'm no longer driving an e39. The e39 isn't aging too badly though, especially the post-LCI.
Currently debating paying down mortgage and driving a Mazda vs a 335i *angel*

lvan
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
^ I find that hard to belive. Whoever has home paid at my workplace, they have cars in 6 digits zone. Having house paid off and just be able to afford a chick's car mazda 3, is on low side to me. No offence.

I have a friend that claims his house is paid off as well, but his parents drive econox box that is offered from their parents' work . So why get econo box from work free when the home is paid off.... What are they gonna do with cash, bring it in heaven with them in the casket?
It's nice to have cash, but when your time is gone, you are done..... My 0.02c

europrince
11-05-2009, 11:02 PM
^ I find that hard to belive. Whoever has home paid at my workplace, they have cars in 6 digits zone. Having house paid off and just be able to afford a chick's car mazda 3, is on low side to me. No offence.

I have a friend that claims his house is paid off as well, but his parents drive econox box that is offered from their parents' work . So why get econo box from work free when the home is paid off.... What are they gonna do with cash, bring it in heaven with them in the casket?
It's nice to have cash, but when your time is gone, you are done..... My 0.02c

Dude, are you married? At some point in your life, building equity and building a life for your family becomes more important that driving fancy cars to impress people you don't know. You'll get there one day. I've driven a powerful BMW, and I'll certainly come back to one at some point, be it within 6 months or 5 years. I'll do it when it's right for me. My wife and I both work in the financial services industry. We've both witnessed people making well into six figures with big homes, fancy cars, Muskoka cottages and not a penny to their names.....fully, fully leveraged playing the part, keeping up with the Jones. As well, we know people who have very solid incomes, solid investment portfolios, and drive a Hyundai Accent because they couldn't give a rat's ass what you think ;)

Do yourself a favour. Stop looking at what other people have.

lvan
11-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Going back to the E39 bashing. I would take E39 M5 02-03 anytime over 01 S4. Even 2003 M540i would still offer just under 300hp. I agree on that one.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Going back to the E39 bashing. I would take E39 M5 02-03 anytime over 01 S4. Even 2003 M540i would still offer just under 300hp. I agree on that one.

I don't see any E39 bashing going on...

But it's nice to see your preference on things, that's why we all drive different cars. It would be such a boring place if we all liked the same shit :P

And since you're concentrating on HP figures, I make what the M5 makes in HP and a lot more TQ in a smaller, lighter car. And that's why I choose the S4 over what you choose.

lvan
11-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I never said buying 355i would impress anyone. I meant that affording 335 is much easier when you have your house paid off. To put some bigger cash down, financing that car would be easy task. They are 3 years old, and you said that they can be found at auctions for 30k and change.
After all, there must be some cash left over for days like this.

Also for the part being married. I have a house in my homeland, and I am not pressured into buying/building anything that can be taken away with missing a few payments. 6.5 hours on a plane and I am home. Also I put hard efford/money not to lose my idenity in Canada by trying to be Canadian or fit into something that I can never be, nor I will be part off. So I suggest you sell that propaganda talk to someone who came from 3rd world dumphole , and have not visited their homeland in last 20 years. *th-up*

Dude, are you married? At some point in your life, building equity and building a life for your family becomes more important that driving fancy cars to impress people you don't know. You'll get there one day. I've driven a powerful BMW, and I'll certainly come back to one at some point, be it within 6 months or 5 years. I'll do it when it's right for me. My wife and I both work in the financial services industry. We've both witnessed people making well into six figures with big homes, fancy cars, Muskoka cottages and not a penny to their names.....fully, fully leveraged playing the part, keeping up with the Jones. As well, we know people who have very solid incomes, solid investment portfolios, and drive a Hyundai Accent because they couldn't give a rat's ass what you think ;) Stop looking at what other people have.

lvan
11-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I agree, but E39 M5 is a safer investment. No moding and still 400hp. Also resale would always be better on a clean/unmolested car.

I don't see any E39 bashing going on...

But it's nice to see your preference on things, that's why we all drive different cars. It would be such a boring place if we all liked the same shit :P

And since you're concentrating on HP figures, I make what the M5 makes in HP and a lot more TQ in a smaller, lighter car. And that's why I choose the S4 over what you choose.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree, but E39 M5 is a safer investment. No moding and still 400hp. Also resale would always be better on a clean/unmolested car.

LOL... You just said a car is an investment :huh?:

europrince
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I never said buying 355i would impress anyone. I meant that affording 335 is much easier when you have your house paid off. To put some bigger cash down, financing that car would be easy task. They are 3 years old, and you said that they can be found at auctions for 30k and change.
After all, there must be some cash left over for days like this.

Also for the part being married. I have a house in my homeland, and I am not pressured into buying/building anything that can be taken away with missing a few payments. 6.5 hours on a plane and I am home. Also I put hard efford/money not to lose my idenity in Canada by trying to be Canadian or fit into something that I can never be, nor I will be part off. So I suggest you sell that propaganda talk to someone who came from 3rd world dumphole , and have not visited their homeland in last 20 years. *th-up*

Go to your home in your homeland and live there then.

That's my two cents ;)

Let's get back to the OP question, shall we?

lvan
11-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Go to your home in your homeland and live there then.

That's my two cents ;)

Let's get back to the OP question, shall we?

:D I was sure 100% this was coming. The best way to defend. Let me just educate you. I know you paid off your house and what not. The 335i will be pile of rusty junk/ripped leather after 10 years. It will be worth just like your E39 that you gave up on. So there is no impressing anyone with it. Just like 10 year old E46, most of them are pile of junk.*th-up*

lvan
11-05-2009, 11:43 PM
LOL... You just said a car is an investment :huh?:

No investment. It is cleaner job to get nice E39 M5 and sell it stock when you get bored wiht it. Once you put huge cash in 2000 S4 by trying to get 400hp out of it, the resale on M5 would be better. I think more people would preffer clean/unmolested M5 than modded S4. Let alone that S4 is not in BMW M5's league.

Meegis
11-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I have no comments on this.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
No investment. It is cleaner job to get nice E39 M5 and sell it stock when you get bored wiht it. Once you put huge cash in 2000 S4 by trying to get 400hp out of it, the resale on M5 would be better. I think more people would preffer clean/unmolested M5 than modded S4. Let alone that S4 is not in BMW M5's league.

Wow... you clearly have NO concept about values of cars do you?

First of all, clean Stage 3 B5 S4's are fetching more then a clean stock S4.
B5 S4 being the last of the turbocharged S series of Audi's are becoming quite popular as an enthusiast car and they're becoming a little more rare now. Also getting 400bhp out of an S4 is childsplay can will cost you approx $2k when said and done. A stage 3 car will make 400 to all 4 wheels so don't confuse the two.

You're also comparing a car (M5) that cost 50-70k MORE when new. Of course it's going to resell for more. :huh?:

And just because your choice is an M5 over an S4 doesn't mean everyone thinks the same way as you. But considering most people don't cross shop these two cars to begin with I don't get why you even brought it into this converstation. The M3 would be in the S4's class not the M5.

MiroE36
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
This was settled a long time ago on top gear when I was still in high school... S4 great car, M3 great car, M3 is faster, S4 more luxurious... all you have to do is choose which you want more... that's it, better between these two cars is only relative to what you are comparing, as an overall package there is no better.

///MG
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I say buy a Nissan Micra

I did consider it once... it was selling for $1000 with 77k on it... but I bought my E36 M3 instead.

lvan
11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I pointed out that M5 and S4 are not in the same game. It looked to me that you sort of looked down on E39s, So I pointed out a few nice Ms/M540i.

Wow... you clearly have NO concept about values of cars do you?

First of all, clean Stage 3 B5 S4's are fetching more then a clean stock S4.
B5 S4 being the last of the turbocharged S series of Audi's are becoming quite popular as an enthusiast car and they're becoming a little more rare now. Also getting 400bhp out of an S4 is childsplay can will cost you approx $2k when said and done. A stage 3 car will make 400 to all 4 wheels so don't confuse the two.

You're also comparing a car (M5) that cost 50-70k MORE when new. Of course it's going to resell for more. :huh?:

And just because your choice is an M5 over an S4 doesn't mean everyone thinks the same way as you. But considering most people don't cross shop these two cars to begin with I don't get why you even brought it into this converstation. The M3 would be in the S4's class not the M5.

NOTORIOUS VR
11-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I pointed out that M5 and S4 are not in the same game. It looked to me that you sort of looked down on E39s, So I pointed out a few nice Ms/M540i.

If you knew the M5 and the S4 aren't something that is cross shopped why did you start to compare them? It was you that brought the M5 into it.

Anyway, I didn't once look down or say anything bad about the E39 in this thread or anywhere else. Reading comprehension > you.

yupyup
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
If you knew the M5 and the S4 aren't something that is cross shopped why did you start to compare them? It was you that brought the M5 into it.

Anyway, I didn't once look down or say anything bad about the E39 in this thread or anywhere else. Reading comprehension > you.

I was gonna say the same thing, when did it change to M5 vs S4? Why not M5 vs S5 or RS5?

europrince
11-06-2009, 12:59 PM
^ you mean RS6. The RS5 is just a coupe version of the RS4

yupyup
11-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I thought coupes weigh less then 4 bangers, I don't mean RS6 though my bad if i'm wrong on weight/track ability.

Either way S5's are dirtyyyy

xlash
11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
A battle of the tiny penis compensators?

Jokes aside go with the M3. It's better overall with winter tyres and better gas mileage and reliability.

sproule905
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
why would an AUDI S4 sign up on a BMW forum? are you that insecure that we may talk about the other German stylings behind your back? or are you that bored that you find entertainment in joining multiple sites.

M3 < S4

NOTORIOUS VR
11-06-2009, 07:46 PM
why would an AUDI S4 sign up on a BMW forum? are you that insecure that we may talk about the other German stylings behind your back? or are you that bored that you find entertainment in joining multiple sites.

M3 < S4

^^ That's funny

rendered
11-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Funny thing is, I'm selling more 2001 Audi S4's, and they pull in more money than most Bmw's I've had in my inventory. They seem to be the weapon of choice for a lot of the public these days. Not to mention people fly in from all around Canada to buy Audi's from us. S4's seem to be the hot commodity these days. Our RS6 is just unreal. 1 second you're doing 120km/k, then the next, 220km/h if you're not paying attention to the speedo when accelerating.

As much as I love my Bmw's, I really do have a soft spot for B5 S4's... Modded only makes them more fun and tooo fast. ;)

Notorious Vr's car is gorgeous, a lot of you people would be jealous if you saw how clean it was in person. Don't be hatin'

Meegis
11-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Funny thing is, I'm selling more 2001 Audi S4's, and they pull in more money than most Bmw's I've had in my inventory. They seem to be the weapon of choice for a lot of the public these days. Not to mention people fly in from all around Canada to buy Audi's from us. S4's seem to be the hot commodity these days. Our RS6 is just unreal. 1 second you're doing 120km/k, then the next, 220km/h if you're not paying attention to the speedo when accelerating.

As much as I love my Bmw's, I really do have a soft spot for B5 S4's... Modded only makes them more fun and tooo fast. ;)

Notorious Vr's car is gorgeous, a lot of you people would be jealous if you saw how clean it was in person. Don't be hatin'

I miss my B5 :(

NOTORIOUS VR
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I miss my B5 :(

And so you should :D