PDA

View Full Version : Rust Proofing

gcunha
10-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Would anyone know where;s the best place for Rust proofing.

slemmer
10-05-2009, 09:13 AM
What kind of treatment are you looking for - oil spray, full spray, etc.

gcunha
10-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure what's best, therefore the reason of my post. I have a 2005 645 CI. no rust yet, nut I'm planning to keep this car for a while. I've heard of some yellow stuff, that is pretty good.

Thanks for your reply.

330Hi
10-05-2009, 09:57 AM
I always go to RushCheck at Richmond Hill. I've been going there for about 4 years now.
The owner there gives me a good deal. I've had over 15 cars rust proofed over there (including my friends')

Take this flyer with you. Talk to Hass or Maalik. Tell him the guy with the M3 sent you. He'll take care of you! *smoke*

*wave*

Marky_mark
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Ziebart has the best rust proofing they don't drill any holes in you car which is a good thing I get my car done by them its dripless also unlike like rust check and krown oil spray. The one you want from Ziebart is the Penetr-Oil dripless oiling process

2009323i
10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
is it worth oil spraying Bimmers? I have an 2009 and live in ottawa. I have a specv last that i oil sprayed at krown for like 3 out of 6 years and it started to rust where they drilled. Also I hate when the under the hood is all greasy. BMW told me not to since it has 12 year warranty. Just not too sure what too do :(

318compact
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm new on this forum, but pretty experienced when it comes to rustproofing. Rustproofing is only worth your while if you plan to keep the car beyond age 10 or so. If you keep your car clean and wash the underside thouroughly every spring, there should not be any rust on a BMW, rustproofed or not if it is 10 or younger. However, if you take a look at a 15 year old car, the one that was rustproofed regularly will be in a lot better shape. So if you invest in rustproofing, don't expect the "payout" before at least a decade of use. In my opinion, the thin dripping oil-based rustproofing works best, although it has to be applied at least every other year. I don't trust wax based rustproofing, seems to seal the elements out but the metal can still rust underneath without being noticed until its too late to do anything about it. I did not have ANY holes drilled in my car, you can access all the cavities you need through factory openings if you know where to look for them. I have not found any shops that do yet, so I have to show them around the car while they bust my b.lls for not allowing them to just drill holes which is so much easier for them.

740-iLL
11-13-2009, 12:39 AM
just got mine done at Rust Check in Brampton. Opted for the drip-less gel and only got the under carriage and wheel wells done, did not want them to drill holes.

iverson03tj
11-14-2009, 01:37 AM
do you guys know what they call those thick rust proofing thing, its like foam, and it stays on ur car for like ever. It think n grey and feels kinda like sponge?

BmW1819
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM
yea iam in the same room i don't no where to go

W2WDETAILING
11-16-2009, 12:33 AM
yea iam in the same room i don't no where to go

im going to get my jeep done at ziebart just down the street from eglington and laird... ive been reasearching and i have been hearing good things about ziebart

BmW1819
11-16-2009, 08:12 PM
what do they use??? and i hope they don't bomb the shit of everything like the bushings

W2WDETAILING
11-16-2009, 08:46 PM
what do they use??? and i hope they don't bomb the shit of everything like the bushings

PENETR-OIL® DRIPLESS OILING PROCESS FROM $109.00

• Annual, dripless oiling process penetrates all seams and joints, displaces moisture.
• Inhibits existing rust and prevents new rust for a full year.
• Coats and penetrates without continued, messy dripping.
• Your entire vehicle is oiled while you wait and ready to go in 1-2 hours.
• Designed for new or used cars, trucks, vans, and sport utility vehicles.
• Offers you the flexibility of annual protection on a pay-as-you go basis.
• Dripless process is cleaner and less harmful to the environment.
• Satisfaction is guaranteed!

http://www.ziebarttoronto.com/protection.htm

im going to check them out on thursday after work

iverson03tj
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Let us know if they did a good job and if they drilled any holes.

BmW1819
12-03-2009, 09:52 PM
did they drill at ziebart?? i sprayed my own car with rustcheck at canadian tire took out the orignal caps in the door and bomb them all the under body only costs me 40$ 4 cans not and sprayed where e36 like to rust :)

aaron320i
12-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey my uncle just opened his 2nd shop and hes doing a deal on thick oil spray rust proofing.
$80.00.

iverson03tj
12-04-2009, 04:49 AM
where does e36 like to rust? in new to the bimmers.

aaron320i
12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
rear quarters, door bottoms, trunk lid, rocker panels, panel covering the floor board

Dammerung
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I am a fairly new member here but I know some stuff about rust. I dont drive my E38 yet

I took some precautions: here is what I did:

-took the car to my friends garage. Hoisted

-checked undercarriage thoroughly

-Sanded any surface rust i found (did not have any :P)

-hosed undercarriage and dried with high pressure air.

-used rust resistant primer (canadian tire, spray bottles) and sprayed entire metal parts such as gas tank, diff, tranny etc.

-after primer dried, used flat black rust resistant paint (canadian tire spray bottles), make sure to create a thick layer.

-used engine enamel paint for the exhaust system since it gets hot.

-cleaned fenderwalls completely, sprayed gravel gaurd

-sand blasted calipers and primed and painted with caliper paint (please be reasonable while chosing color) I used black

-once the undercarriage is dried, sprayed rust check coat and protect generously.

-used motomaster bearing and balljoint grease on all ball joints ans suspension links.

-Steam cleaned engine and sprayed with wd40

-This makes the undercarriage look clean and neat as for the engine bay i dont like spraying oil in their...it looks dirty.

- It cost me about $100 dollars because i tend to be very generous on the sprays.

- If you do drive the best thin to do even after all the protection is to wash your car regularly especially in winter.

- no need to spend 15 bucks everytime. IT going to get dirty anyways. The idea is to remove salt from undercarriage. 2 or 3 bucks at the high pressure self car wash places are perfect. Your car will not be shiny clean but it will get rid of the salt. Make sure to spray the undercarriage thouroughly.

On older cars, a special mixture of asphalt and oil can be used...creates a thick layer. Done on my 4runner not the bimmer :P

Cheers

Dammerung
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
i will take some pics of my 4runner and post asap....e38 is in storage so kant take it to the garage....