PDA

View Full Version : '98 328is Coilovers Installed

BMXWill
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
So I've slowly been adding to my car since I bought it last year and I recently decided to pick up some Raceland (http://www.racelandus.com/Items/RA-SET-BMWE36?&caSKU=RA-SET-BMWE36&caTitle=Raceland%20Full%20Coilover%20Kit%20BMW%20E 36) coilovers. I wanted to try them out as I've heard they are great for VW's and they are a steal at about $280USD. I have only had them in for three days but they have been great so far. They are a bit softer than most coilovers (i hear) so the ride is still smooth. I don't track my car, I just wanted them for the drop and increase in handling.

The rear is fully slammed (not as low as other brands)
The front is 1/4 low at the most.

I don't think I've seen Raceland's on Max before so I'm guinea pigging it. If you have any questions or comments feel free. I'll let you guys know how these things last over the next few months before snow hits and I garage her for the winter.

I recently picked up some M3 mirrors and door moldings as well and as many non M owners I plan to do most of the M3 conversions aside from the motor (mine only has 145k) in the future as well.

Thanks to Doogee for helping with the coilovers. Can't wait to see your PSS's installed!

Pics

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/willfisher/DSC_0072-1.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/willfisher/DSC_0090.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm151/willfisher/DSC_0115.jpg
^Sorry for my lack of lighting

tig
09-18-2009, 01:38 AM
looks hot*th-up*

BMW BMXer
09-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Looks good Will.

BMXWill
09-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys, I hope to get some better pics when i get back from the middle east and get some HID's on.

Clutch
09-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Well done

Steve30
09-19-2009, 01:56 AM
your car looks really good man, $280 for the coilovers? that's a great price

bmxmax
09-19-2009, 10:26 AM
looks amazing!
those bmxers sure know how to make a bimmer look good.

R.S.C
09-19-2009, 01:52 PM
^ lol

Nothing like a nice black slammed e36! *love*

adjei
12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
how are these racelands holding up for you?
because i've been researching forums and someone grabs a set
then a bunch of people start hating on a person for it

BMXWill
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
They are holding up pretty well actually. At first I had a few issues with the top nut coming loose on the front struts but a little loctite fixed that. They have pretty soft spring rates so they aren't too rough on the street.

I went to the track with Doogee and he took my car out to compare them to his Bilstein PSS. We have the exact same cars basically so it was a fair comparison. He said the Raceland's weren't as responsive, didn't give as much feel and they also were a little unstable under hard braking compared to his PSS. I have Eibach sway bars in my car so I'm not sure how these coilovers are with stock sway bars.

Overall I'd say you definitely get your $371 worth(shipped to my door). Lots of height adjustability, they seem to be holding up just fine though I've probably only put 10k on them. If I were to do it all again I'd probably get PSS9 or something that was adjustable.

The worst thing about Raceland's is telling people on Bimmerforums that you have Raceland's. hahaha

bmwe36_5spd
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I was considering getting them for a while, but how was the install process?

BMXWill
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
It was really easy. It takes a little while the first time you do it though haha. The only pain in the ass is removing the upper strut mounts from the stock suspension but if you get some new ones or M3 ones (Increase your negative camber) then you don't have to worry about uncompressing the springs on your stock setup. Aslong as you have the tools your good to go.

bmwe36_5spd
01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, I will give it a try once I receiver them. Thanks! and your car is looking good!

scotty328ci
01-28-2010, 05:24 AM
will!!!!

aweosme that your on this site/forum !! now we can arrive to ride bikes in style! :P the mazda's motor blew soo im on to better things now kinda sad ot not have the RHD anymore but oh well .

hopefully wee you either at the park or the bimmer cruises coming up this spring

-scott