PDA

View Full Version : Alpine White touch up paint

joeyg
09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know a cheaper place to get the touch-up paint for the 1 series. Dealer quoted me $33 for some kind of kit.

Joe

picus
09-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know a cheaper place to get the touch-up paint for the 1 series. Dealer quoted me $33 for some kind of kit.

Joe

Egads, which dealer? Normally the touch up "kit" (which is a bottle of basecoat and one of clear) is under $15, ime. They may have tried to sell you their new little kit with sanding discs and stuff (which is actually kind of a neat little kit, but overpriced). Maybe try another dealer; you should be able to find it for less.

Mikeee46coup
09-19-2009, 11:09 AM
AW is a pain to match, BMW had several variations on it over the decades (my car has 3 of them right now), when it comes to touch up; BMW can't match it; so don't bother paying the premium. Crappy Tire has Dupli-Colour "Wimbledon White" which sits in the middle of the AW spectrum; not too stark white and not too grey.

joeyg
09-19-2009, 01:12 PM
AW is a pain to match, BMW had several variations on it over the decades (my car has 3 of them right now), when it comes to touch up; BMW can't match it; so don't bother paying the premium. Crappy Tire has Dupli-Colour "Wimbledon White" which sits in the middle of the AW spectrum; not too stark white and not too grey.

Thanks for that bit of information Mikeee46coup. I'll do that.

Joe

picus
09-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Ya Alpine White is code 300, but like most of the modern BMW colours there are variations as mentioned, from /1 through /6 I think for AW. /1 is on the 'whiter' end, /6 is more yellow. I see a lot of AW re-sprays where the sprayed panel looks a lot more white than the rest of the car.

joeyg
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Egads, which dealer? Normally the touch up "kit" (which is a bottle of basecoat and one of clear) is under $15, ime. They may have tried to sell you their new little kit with sanding discs and stuff (which is actually kind of a neat little kit, but overpriced). Maybe try another dealer; you should be able to find it for less.

It was Budds, and it was just the bottle of basecoat and clearcoat.

Joe