PDA

View Full Version : A lil bit of TLC - my e30 touring

lost
08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Thought I'd make a thread to track my progress after seeing Dave's touring.

A little background:

Picked the car up around Sept. 08, had it shipped to me from Montreal and so it began.

Seller said the car was rust free, ran great, only problems are blower not working and passenger window not working.

Car wasn't bad for an 88 and I'd say about 90% rust free, but not 'rust free'. CD had been hacked out of it and I have a new audio harness to fix that. M-Tech kit is decent condition and the brocks are beauts.

Since I'm keeping the car I've decided that I'd like to fix/change/upgrade the following:

Things I've done thus far:
- Patch two rust spots in driver side floor and any surface rust on the underbody - COMPLETE
- Change muffler from cat back - COMPLETE (Installed SS Brullen muffler as I had one on my e46 and loved it. Sounds great)
- Change drivers front fender as it had dent - COMPLETE (sanding and prepping for primer and paint)
- I also changed the gas line from the pump to the engine as I nicked it when cutting out the floor rust...oops

I'm going to start on the rear and work my way forward..

Parts waiting to be installed:
- I've ordered AKG bushings for my rear subframe as I'm planning on pulling it to paint it, so why not. 70A Subframe Mounts, 75D Trailing Arm
- Silicone vaccume lines
- New used checked Alternator
- Air Intake (Might fabricate a true cold air intake..tbd)
- Mint two piece knee bolster

Parts to be sourced still:
- Lowering Springs - either H&R Sport or Race...tbd
- Car currently has Blistein Sports with a very low drop on unknown springs. Need it up a bit.

Pics:

Pic from previous owner
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/40a8_20.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/GetAttachment3.jpg

Car getting delivered to my house
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/jeffs_car_004.jpg

Brullen Muffler Installed
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/IMG00103.jpg

New Fender Fitting (Crap BlackBerry pic)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/tn_IMG00112.jpg (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1114284/IMG00112.jpg)

That's about it for now. I'll post some pics as I progress..

lost
08-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Here's some info about my car from decoding the VIN:

Type code AG51
Type 325I (EUR)
Dev. series E30 (5) Line 3
Body type TOUR
Steering LL
Door count 5
Engine M20
Cubical capacity 2.50
Power 141
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour DIAMANTSCHWARZ METALLIC (181)
Upholstery ANTHRAZIT STOFF (0269)
Prod. date 1988-12-17

Order options
No. Description
209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)
215 POWER STEERING,DEPENDING ON ENGINE SPEED
227 SP/SUSPENSION W SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION
235 TRAILER-HITCH WITH REMOVABLE HEAD
288 LT/ALY WHEELS
314 HEATED WINDSCREEN WASHER NOZZLES
320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION
401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
410 WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC AT FRONT
413 LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT NET
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
485 RECARO-SITZE FUER FAHRER+BEIFA
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
551 ON-BOARD COMPUTER II W REMOTE CONTROL
570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
681 DACHANTENNE
708 M-SPORT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL II

europrince
08-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I like

lost
08-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Got some work done this weekend.

- Disconnected rear brake lines, sway bar, removed rear seat and carpet out of the boot, and started to remove the stock felt on the boot floor.

- Painted up my new alternator also and picked up new belts.

QUESTION: Where do you jack/support the car when you're lifting it to remove th rear subframe? Nothing sticks out to me.

Picture of new jack point on front driver side flower. It's primed/painted/sealed since this pic.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-8/1345947/tn_IMG00116.jpg (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-8/1345947/tn_IMG00116.jpg)

Picture of alternator painted (still taped up):
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-8/1345947/IMG00161.jpg

I'm also going to be ordering a new aftermarket sway bar kit for the front and rear at the end of this week. Any suggestions? I like the color of the ST one and it's reasonable.

jeremy
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Looking good. There only a few things I don't like about the car....

-smoothed hatch
-interior
-smoothed doors

Change the above and you will have an awesome wagon....don't get me wrong, she is still HOT

lost
08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of the smoothed hatch but too much work to rectify this especially without readily available replacement parts.

The interior wasn't my fav at first, I'd rather just black, but it's in mint condition and real leather. I was going to get the seats re-done but it's grown on me and I don't mind it now.

davericher20
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
looks good! I kinda like the interior from what I remember in previous posts, can you give us some more interior shots?
I noticed on your VIN list you have the recaro seats too!

lgb240
09-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Where did you get the Brullen muffler? I had one built for my E28 about 8 years ago ...it was a work of art and sounded just awasome... tried to look them up to have one made for my E30 Touring, but came up empty.

do tell....

lgb240

lost
09-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Where did you get the Brullen muffler? I had one built for my E28 about 8 years ago ...it was a work of art and sounded just awasome... tried to look them up to have one made for my E30 Touring, but came up empty.

do tell....

lgb240

Unfortunately they closed up shop about 6 or 7 years ago. I searched and searched and found this one on some vw forum forsale about 5 years ago, so I snatched it up as in my opinion best sounding exhaust out there as you have experienced. This was just the muffler and I bent up the exhaust and welded it all up to fit.

Sounds amazing on exceleration but when you're up to speed it's virtualy silent!!

The shop that I got my e46 at has a new cat back for an e36 318 sitting there. I'm honestly thinking about buying one just so I can put the exhaust on it. lol.

lost
09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
looks good! I kinda like the interior from what I remember in previous posts, can you give us some more interior shots?
I noticed on your VIN list you have the recaro seats too!

Don't get me wrong the interior is pretty mint except the headliner which I plan on re-doing as soon as I find the perfect fabric.

Picture of my interior
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-8/1345947/40c6_20.jpg

I saw a pic of the white two door that originated in Windsor with the orange suede and leather interior and have been stuck on it!!

Picture of favorite interior but money can be spent elsewhere
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2009-8/1345947/e30interior.jpg

lost
09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Update 01Sept09:

Put the alternator back in (what a PITA getting the bolt through the bottom), but it's in with new belt. I also changed the power steering belt while I was there. The belts on the car were pretty good but minus well change them.

I also undid the bolts for the rear subframe and the lolipops that attach to the car were also a pain. One of the bolts just snapped and the other took some leverage, but I'll be using new bolts anyways so I was hopeing that they'd all just snap like the first and fall out for me.

QUESTION FOR TOURING OWNERS??: How does the cover that has the barriers for the boot come off?? it has the one that's mesh and goes to the roof and the other covers the cargo area. I'm not sure how to get it out.

everlast
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Don't forget about your timing belt!

Car looks great! I wouldn't bother with a CIA.. just put a quality air filter in and make sure the tube running under the headlight is connected; it's already a CIA!

davericher20
09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Update 01Sept09:
QUESTION FOR TOURING OWNERS??: How does the cover that has the barriers for the boot come off?? it has the one that's mesh and goes to the roof and the other covers the cargo area. I'm not sure how to get it out.

oh man, I was looking for it last month and it looks to me like it's permanent.....I was hoping for a latch or something to remove it but I can see a fat screw on either side (looking from the rear to the front) in the sides where the speakers are in the trunk. Can't get a screwdriver in there though it's really tight and at an angle.

Let me know if you get it out, looked like it was a pita for me so I left it.

lost
09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
oh man, I was looking for it last month and it looks to me like it's permanent.....I was hoping for a latch or something to remove it but I can see a fat screw on either side (looking from the rear to the front) in the sides where the speakers are in the trunk. Can't get a screwdriver in there though it's really tight and at an angle.

Let me know if you get it out, looked like it was a pita for me so I left it.

That sux as I need to remove it. lol. Oh well I'll figure something out and report back. the one on my Jeep just pushes in on either side to pop it out, wonder if it might be the same.

Got a call from my wife saying that two deliveries came for me, which I think are my AKG bushings for the rear subframe and trailing arms and my silicone vaccum lines.

davericher20
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM
sweet about the delivery! yeah man, I think I tried it all with that thing, I'm gonna try tonight again and see......I would like to remove it too it's kinda ugly. Let me know if you figure anything out, it HAS to come out somehow BMW aren't dumbasses.......I hope.

lgb240
09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
QUESTION FOR TOURING OWNERS??: How does the cover that has the barriers for the boot come off?? it has the one that's mesh and goes to the roof and the other covers the cargo area. I'm not sure how to get it out.[/QUOTE]

I took mine off about 2 years ago ... there's a trick to it BUT I can't remember!! ...My car's still in the body shop so I don't have it for reference. I'll check the cover assembly in my basement tonight to see if it will jog my memory.

lgb240

lgb240
09-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Got a call from my wife saying that two deliveries came for me, which I think are my AKG bushings for the rear subframe and trailing arms and my silicone vaccum lines.[/QUOTE]

I put the same AKG bushings on my Touring at the beginning of the summer - I cant stresss tis enough - coat the sh!t out of them with bearing grease before you install. The squeek like crazy .....

Transforms the car handling wise, although I'm comparing them to original warn rubber bits

lgb240

lost
09-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Got a call from my wife saying that two deliveries came for me, which I think are my AKG bushings for the rear subframe and trailing arms and my silicone vaccum lines.

I put the same AKG bushings on my Touring at the beginning of the summer - I cant stresss tis enough - coat the sh!t out of them with bearing grease before you install. The squeek like crazy .....

Transforms the car handling wise, although I'm comparing them to original warn rubber bits

lgb240[/QUOTE]

Ya I've been reading that you have to be generous with the grease. I've seen a few specific kinds mentioned for poly bushes that work well

I fiddled with the cargo cover for a good 30mins last night trying to get it out. There has to be a logical method to removal as I can't remove the top bolts for the dampers until I can remove the panels.

Wife just called again to tell me that two more packages just came!!
- Silicone vaccum lines
- New OEM rear top damper mounts with reinforcement plates

lgb240
09-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry I didn't post this earlier,

The pic attached is the end of the cover assembly for the rear cargo area - it would be the passenger side, cover rolls out on the left side of the pic, net to the top. If I remeber correctly (which I don't) you don't need any tools - the cover is designed to be able to come on and off easily. I beleive that it just rolled / clicked into place.

I wish I had my car here!!!! Check the attachment points in the car and see if this makes sense. sorry for the shitty cell phone pic

lgb240

lost
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the pic. Really need to see the other side!!

I went out last night after seeing the pic and though "oh sweet it must just rotate out" lol. I tried doing it softly, then with some preasure, then shaking it, then pushing it... nothing.

I'm about to cut it out, but I like it and don't really want to ruin it

lgb240
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
DON'T CUT IT

apparently these things are worth their weight in gold.

other side looks just like this side.

feel a little useless without the car to check things ... I'm actually driving by the body shop this afternoon

try posting on RV3 or e30tech - someone overseas should be able to pipe up an answer

lost
09-04-2009, 08:19 PM
GOT IT!!! WOOOHOOOO

My parents are down so my dad held the light and I could see a slit in the holder/mount so after wiggling around I thought that maybe there is a spring in there, so I kneeled in the middle and pushed down and it rotated forward right out!!!!!

So push down and rotate forward!!!!!!

Good news too my rear top damper bushings are brand new. I bought a set to replace them, but looks like I wont have to, I'll just put the strengthening plates on.

Bad part is the nut closest to the front is under the rear frame for the body side, so it's barely accessible.

Thanks for the pic lgb it helped!!! Saw your other post and hope you get your ride back on the road soon!!

lgb240
09-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey lost, glad you got the cover off.

Keep posting your progress....

lgb240

davericher20
09-07-2009, 10:25 PM
sweet! I can't wait to try it. good stuff

lost
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Thought I'd clarify a bit:

Kneeling on the rear seats facing the back of the car. Push down and rotate foroward (which would be toward the rear of the car).

Didn't get much done on the car this weekend as my parents were down but I did buy a telescopic oil catch from Princess Auto for use with my lift, so I can do my own oil changes easily.

davericher20
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
It works!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch man, came right off

lost
09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Update:

Spent about 1.5hrs tonight in the garage working on the the touring.

Got the rear bolts of the top of the dampers, springs out, wheels off, also removed the rear washer fluid bottle as my hatch is shaved and it's pointless because of this. have the whole interior out of the back.

I just have to remove my e-brake cables but was reading online that I have to re-move the rear brakes to do so? Tried to, but the bolts were very tight so I put some penetrating oil on them and will give it a crack tomorrow, so hopefully by this weekend the rear subframe will be dropped and cleaned up ready for paint.

I have a problem as the more I dig into things the more little things bug me which I then want to fix or change... so who knows what's next.

I'm also in the process of removing the felt from the floor of the boot as it looks like a water trap.

It's amazing how much more room there is in the boot with no panels also!! it's huge back there!!

lost
09-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Update:

Got the rear subframe dropped today. Tapped the old mounts with a 5/8" tap and then treaded in a bolt and a few hits with a hammer on a section of pipe from inside the car through the hole and it popped lose. Once I had the bolt in it took about 5 mins till it was off.

Also had a few small rust spots around the spring mount on the RL so I cleaned them up, re-under coated the wheel well and ready to do the other side.

All the air lines are still there for the factory air suspension.... I think I'm going to order some bags in the next few weeks..

Gonna take some pics tomorrow.

lost
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Update:

Got my old subframe bushings out yesterday. Picked up a small 12ton press from princess auto and it made the job easy.

Gonna strip the paint, prime and repaint the subframe this weekend, change the bushings along with trailing arm bushings and back up onto the car it goes. I'm debating if I should just make due with the rear springs or put bags in the back.. ones free and one will be about 400 bucks. I'm leaning towards the springs at the moment..

Good news is I found my old camera so i'm gonna keep it in the garage for pics.
Bad news is that too much cursing on this forum and profanity by some people in a few posts in the general forum so my work blocked the site, so i can only come on at home.

BabyHerc
09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Here's some info about my car from decoding the VIN:

Type code AG51
Type 325I (EUR)
Dev. series E30 (5) Line 3
Body type TOUR
Steering LL
Door count 5
Engine M20
Cubical capacity 2.50
Power 141
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour DIAMANTSCHWARZ METALLIC (181)
Upholstery ANTHRAZIT STOFF (0269)
Prod. date 1988-12-17

Order options
No. Description
209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (25%)
215 POWER STEERING,DEPENDING ON ENGINE SPEED
227 SP/SUSPENSION W SELF-LEVELING SUSPENSION
235 TRAILER-HITCH WITH REMOVABLE HEAD
288 LT/ALY WHEELS
314 HEATED WINDSCREEN WASHER NOZZLES
320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION
401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
410 WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC AT FRONT
413 LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT NET
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
485 RECARO-SITZE FUER FAHRER+BEIFA
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
551 ON-BOARD COMPUTER II W REMOTE CONTROL
570 STRONGER ELECTRICITY SUPPLY
681 DACHANTENNE
708 M-SPORT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL II

Where can I do this for my car?

davericher20
09-22-2009, 02:08 AM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974206&page=97

become a member there, post your VIN on that thread and the guy will email you back with everything.

craz azn
09-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Pretty sure you could just get the same list if you ask next time you are at the dealer. That's where I got mine for my car.

lost
09-23-2009, 09:35 PM
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974206&page=97

become a member there, post your VIN on that thread and the guy will email you back with everything.

That's where I got mine from. Easy as pie.

markw
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure you could just get the same list if you ask next time you are at the dealer. That's where I got mine for my car.

You can, I decoded a bunch of members vin's on here when I worked at BMW.

markw
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Also, great looking touring, I still want one of these!

davericher20
09-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I like my money pit too.

lost
11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Ordered stainless steel DOT approved bake lines today and full UUC Sway bar set up front and rear from Elephant. Looking for a nice spring. I'd like a cross between H&R Race and Sports with about a 1.25 to 1.50 drop all around.

I've been reading that the VOGTLAND might be right? anyone running these here? I'd be running them with my current Blistein Sports.

I'll take some pics.

lost
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Thought I'd throw up a long overdue update:

Picked up UUC Sway Kit and H&R Race springs from Elephant. Car has been on my lift since my last posts and finally last week I cleaned my garage to make room and put the rear end back togther and it's back on the car.

Put the rear UUC Sway bar on with all mountings, hooked e-brakes back up and all that's left to do is hook up the brake lines, put in the H&R race springs, bleed the brakes then move to the front.

I also put a feeler forsale add up but am honestly completely torn. Prior to putting the rear back on it was just taking up space, but since I've been working on it again and have put on over $1.5k in new parts I'm thinking of just taking my time and getting it cherry till I can afford the insurance Feb11.

I've also cleaned up any surface rust on the bottom of the car and Por15'd it. Once the car is back on the ground there will be NO rust anywhere. I've removed the rear hydro's from the car also as they are not needed because of the springs.

I also have an unmoletested wiring harnes so I can confirm what my heater and radio hookups should look like.

I'll take some pics of my progress this weekend.

lost
01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Another long overdue update:

Got any trace of rust around the rear spring mounts cleaned and added a fresh coat of POR15 so the car is approximately 99.99% rust free. I wont claim 100% because who knows.

I also managed to get the rear subframe and trailing arms put back together and back on the car, however it is still up on my lift. The brakes are back on and all lines are connected, so I'm hoping it's back on the ground this weekend. The rear UUC sway bar is on and just have to set up the links.

One problem I encountered when pushing out the bushings for the trailing arms was the I bent the left rear one slightly, however I picked up a mint pair but decided to fix and reinforce the ones on the car, so I weld on some plates to stiffen them and a horizontal support. However in doing so it binds on my fuel fill hose, so I'm gong to have to cut the horizontal support off of the Right Rear. Not a biggie.

I can't wait to have it back on the ground.

lost
08-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Between wanting to sell the car because I have not time, to not wanting to sell it, to not getting updated pics, to keeping it and working on it over the winter so I can dd it next summer... I'm at a stand still.

Got a bit of time this weekend to make a little more room in my garage. Got one of my project mini's out of the way to free up a spot.

Put the touring up on the lift to put the bumpers back on and notice a rust spot that I wasn't too fond of. So out it comes.

I've welded on the patch and will post pics when I take some.... so could be 8 months. fcplm

lost
09-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Made some progress this long weekend and I think after working on the car and falling for it again.... it's most likely off the market.

Anyways, fixed the rust spot as identified in last post and rocker guarded the rear valance, painted my exhuast flat black, picked up manual window parts and door shadow line (is that what it's called) from ACPperformance (Alex), blacked out my kidney's and fixed a few chips in the paint.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00377-20110902-1922.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00378-20110902-1937.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00379-20110903-1212.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00384-20110903-2227.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00390-20110905-2038.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to get the white bumpers and lip (thanks 411) on this week.

I'm also fabbing up a new bracket for the front windows as the glass is different between the auto and manual windows. I've fabbed up the back which works 100% and will hopefully get around to the front tonight.

I'm also thinking of sandblasting and powder coating the bottle caps, either beige to match my interior, black, or deep red...

davericher20
09-07-2011, 03:58 AM
awesome work glad you fell in love with her again! Koodos for attacking that rust!

lost
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
awesome work glad you fell in love with her again! Koodos for attacking that rust!

Thanks Dave, guess I just needed to spend some time with her.

I got the rear bumper on last night. I left the bumpers white right now but to see how it looks, but may paint black depending on conclusion.

For those with tourings the rear re-bar inside the bumper is different than standard due to the trailer hitch. Mine was cut when the rear m-tech was modified originaly so I needed a new one (thanks 411). The normal re-bar has two raised ribs for strenght straight down the middle that hit the trailer hitch that recesses into the bumper.

Not too happy with the spray can of color match paint I had mixed up as it's more gun metal than black. Waste of $28.

InfiniteDice
09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Did you POR the inside of the patch as well? I've also been patching this summerl... let's just say my task was a little bit more extensive than yours! I think it will be fine.

Another thing I recommended is using a black seam sealer on the inside of the patches over top the POR.

After not being able to find a driver side rocker panel I 'simply' made due with cutting out the bad spots and fabricating all new patches. It took about 18 - 20 hours over 2 weeks but it's nearly done. I'm pretty proud of how well it's turned out, I'll have to take some pics shortly.

supernaught
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
good work, hold on to er. when you say shadowline, what parts did you get?

lost
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
good work, hold on to er. when you say shadowline, what parts did you get?

I got the trim that goes on the side (middle) of the doors. I keep refering to it as shadowline but I'm not sure that's correct.

It's tough with time and the little one, wife, and with working full time and school it takes up my 'car' time.

lost
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Did you POR the inside of the patch as well? I've also been patching this summerl... let's just say my task was a little bit more extensive than yours! I think it will be fine.

Another thing I recommended is using a black seam sealer on the inside of the patches over top the POR.

After not being able to find a driver side rocker panel I 'simply' made due with cutting out the bad spots and fabricating all new patches. It took about 18 - 20 hours over 2 weeks but it's nearly done. I'm pretty proud of how well it's turned out, I'll have to take some pics shortly.

Ya I've restored two mini's before with about 60hrs worth of welding on each. I love the cutting and welding and having to work things out. If you approach it systimatically and don't make things too complicated it's extremely enjoyable especially when you have a finished product to be proud of.

I generally do the following: Weld in New Metal>Clean Welds>POR15>Seam Seal>Prime>Paint, but it all depends on the patch and panel being replaced.

I've stripped about half of the felt off of the boot floor and will sand it down and paint soon also. I also noticed a bit of rust around the edge of the hatch under where the seal clips on that will be cleaned up and painted.

I was thinking of just painting the whole car but I really like cars that look like they've been used.

InfiniteDice
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I did the right hand rocker and front jack point last summer. This summer was a few spots in the trunk floor and the left rocker/front jack point. Next spring I think I'll go over the whole thing and re-check everything. This winter could be the last one for the old girl if I have my way.

On under areas if you POR the metal as a primer, then seam seal all the seams and welded areas, then finally spray the best quality hi-build rocker guard, you'll end up with something that can go all winter and not have any issues. All the work I did last summer is totally rust free, it's night and day to any previous work I've ever done.

lost
09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Worked on the car a bit last night when I should of been studying.

Rear bumper is on, sanded and painted black, final sanding tonight and then last coat of black and the bumper is done.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00392-20110907-1930.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00393-20110907-1955.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00394-20110907-1959.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00398-20110907-2236.jpg

09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-318is-M42_1.8l/Exterior/Body/Rust_Repair_Panels/ES2190275/http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/108981_x800.jpg

*th-up*jeff

lost
09-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Also have this to install. Been sitting on a shelf in my garage for a year now. fcplm

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/drivetrain/drivetrain_bmshifter_sm.jpg

Is it a simple install? Haven't done much looking to see what's involved yet.

lost
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Took the touring out of the garage yesterday just to start it up and move it. Also wanted to get some pics of it outside with the black bumpers.

Everytime I look at this car I can't get over how hot it is. *th-up*

I haven't put the bumper trim on as I'm shaving the side turn signal cut outs, so it will be as the euros are.

Before I hosed it down:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00412-20110918-1532.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00413-20110918-1532.jpg

Hosed down:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00416-20110918-1908.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00417-20110918-1908.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00418-20110918-1908.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1328797/IMG00419-20110918-1909.jpg

Next I'm going to tackle my sagging and gross headliner and finish cleaning the felt off of the boot floor.

supernaught
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
what plans do you have for the roof liner? getting mine out was a huge bitch, you have to be very careful. I was able to get it out without removing the rear windows, but not sure about getting it back in. I plan on replacing the liner with some micro-suede-ish material when i have the space.

09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Coming along quite nicely.....still can't understand why nobodys grabed it yet??

Inside "tip" http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-Dachhimmel-Touring-M-Technik-2-/230661630303?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b481295f

If I was closer I'd offer you my polaris ranger/ for the wagon& the quad

lost
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Coming along quite nicely.....still can't understand why nobodys grabed it yet??

Inside "tip" http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-Dachhimmel-Touring-M-Technik-2-/230661630303?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35b481295f

If I was closer I'd offer you my polaris ranger/ for the wagon& the quad

Ya I was looking at getting a Ranger but the quad offered me more utility for what I needed it for. I could of picked up an 08 over the boarder for about the same the quad cost. Nice machines!

lost
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
what plans do you have for the roof liner? getting mine out was a huge bitch, you have to be very careful. I was able to get it out without removing the rear windows, but not sure about getting it back in. I plan on replacing the liner with some micro-suede-ish material when i have the space.

I haven't come up with a game plan yet. It has no tears or anything so I as debating just applying some 3M spray adhesive and rolling it out to fix it and then fabric painting it in the car, which would probably be the easiest route, however I'm not too sure if I'll be happy with this.

I've had a look and it seems that all of the seals around the openings will have to come off along with the cover pieces between the doors, etc. Not sure I want to do that.

Did you have to remove your front windsheild?

supernaught
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I didnt have to remove windshield or any windows, but yes all the trim on the pillars have to be removed, which isnt a terrible job if you keep track of all the fasteners well.

My headliner has a few stains in it and the entire thing from behind the front seats back was sagging. I've seen a few tutorials on recovering headliners and have a friend that has done a few so I will take my time in prep to make sure it goes well.

A problem you might run into with the spray on and roll route could be problems with excess material when you get to the edges. You might find the liner has stretched overall and you could be fighting wrinkles.

lost
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I didnt have to remove windshield or any windows, but yes all the trim on the pillars have to be removed, which isnt a terrible job if you keep track of all the fasteners well.

My headliner has a few stains in it and the entire thing from behind the front seats back was sagging. I've seen a few tutorials on recovering headliners and have a friend that has done a few so I will take my time in prep to make sure it goes well.

A problem you might run into with the spray on and roll route could be problems with excess material when you get to the edges. You might find the liner has stretched overall and you could be fighting wrinkles.

Thanks for the info, I have all of the rear interior out already, and I want to pull the dash to figure out why the heater isn't working, so I minus well just pull it.

Let me know how you're goes, and what type of fabric you go with.

lost
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
It's back on the road.. yeeha

Wasn't charging so I've bulled the alternator to get it tested along with another tomorrow. Hoping one of them is good and I should be good to go.

e30tOny
03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
It's back on the road.. yeeha

Wasn't charging so I've bulled the alternator to get it tested along with another tomorrow. Hoping one of them is good and I should be good to go.

*sad**updated pics please*mw*

lost
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
was the alternator I put on the car. shame because I had painted it and made it all pretty. Put the one I pulled off back on which was just dirty and works good, right where it should be.

Going to start putting the interior back together this weekend maybe and I'll be driving it by next week.

lost
03-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Have the passenger door switched over to manual and I'm going to do the drivers door tonight.

Thanks to Alex at ACP for all of the parts.