PDA

View Full Version : Caliper bleeding system

Colombian
08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Looking for someone in the area to let me rent from them one of this units to properly bleed my brake system. Need to change the calipers but will eventually need to bleed it. Thanks

everlast
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
System? Use a 2L pop bottle with a rubber line to the bleed screw, and have a friend pump the peddle while you turn the bleed screw.

98Dinan3
08-24-2009, 03:31 PM
the two man pump method works better anyway...

Colombian
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
so what do you guys recommend? unhook the break line, change calipers, fill fluid back up (the one lost when the break lines were unscrew) and send my brother to si tin the cabin and pump the break line while I play with the bleeding screw? just not sure if I need to some somethign extra because I will unscrewing the brake line. Thanks

everlast
08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Yep, that's it. Google will reveal the process. My wife counts 1 to 3, one is just to set the `tempo`.

1. ready
2. inward pedal travel beginning
3. inward pedal travel ceasing

You want to open and close the bleed screw IN BETWEEN the 2 and 3 count. So you basically open and close it very quickly while the pedal is going down.

Do it until you see clear, clean fluid coming out. That's another reason to use a clear pop bottle to catch it.

edit: oh, and keep an eye on the fluid level; if it gets too low you'll have air in the system again and have to repeat everything.

doogee
09-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Don't forget it's best to start at the caliper that is further from the Master cylinder and abs pump.

1st - Passenger rear
2nd - Drivers rear
3rd - Passenger front
4th - Driver front

ScotcH
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
He're what we do on the race cars ... very fast once you get into a rhythm:

- guy pumps pedal a few times, then presses and holds (he can say "holding" here if you want)
- when you hear him stop pumping (or say "holding"), you know he's holding the pedal
- open the bleed screw (guy keeps pressing, pedal goes down ... don't let off the pedal!)
- after about 1 sec, close the bleed screw (guy keeps holding!)
- yell "OK". This is the cue that guy can let the pedal back up.
- repeat from the top

Important thing to note is that you must NOT let the pedal up with the bleed screw open since that will suck in air. Also, as mentioned above, fill up the reservoir often, especially when doing the fronts!

No porblem with changing the caliper ... just unbolt it, and put the new one on. Obvioulsy, you want to do it fairly quickly so you don't loose all the fluid, but in any case, a good manual bleeding is fine afterwards.

everlast
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, once you get a rhythm it goes very quickly and easily.

arsevader
09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Also a good rule of thumb is to not push the pedal to the floor. Just push it to about where the pedal would sit if you pressed on the brake normally.

If you push past this point, the seals in the master/slave cylinder ride on a part of the piston that could be corroded and damage them.