PDA

View Full Version : Front Control Arm

Brent
08-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am replacing my front control arm on the passenger side. First off, does anyone have a decent one of these for sale (replacing it because both ball joints are toast)?

Second, I have removed the control arm from the bushing. I have also removed the nut for the ball joint from by the wheel, although unfortunately, the bolt snapped off. I think I can get this out ok.

Now, I have one more nut to get off-the one the attaches to the sub frame. Looking down from the top, it is by the O2 sensor. Mine is rusted, looks rounded, and maybe it's just me, but I can't even get a wrench in there to even try to loosen it. Every article and my book just say "remove it", it's rated as a 3 out of 10 on Pelican's tech article, but this looks as hard as anything I've done so far.

Anyone ever try this before? Any tips or advice? Should I just cut this nut off with a dremel tool and move on?

Please try to keep it fairly simple, there are a lot of parts around here and I am a little confused...

As always, thanks for your help,

Brent

Ceeker
08-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Are you talking about the big nut that is on top of the sub frame looking down? That is the inner ball joint nut. You should use and impact gun with a socket and extension to get that off. Then you are going to have to get a pry bar on the head of the stem of the ball joint or an air hammer to push it through. Both ball joints have a tapered shaft so it needs to be pushed through with some force. They don't often just fall out.