PDA

View Full Version : E30 ball joint nut

Ceeker
08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone know how to get a stripped ball joint nut off - threads are stripped?

I believe it's a nylock.

I was in the process of wanting to remove my strut when I realized it was just spinning.

thx.

Boxer2
08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
You could try using a pipe wrench on it if there's enough room to get in there...

Ceeker
08-14-2009, 08:29 PM
come on!! LOL be serious...the threads are stripped. not the nut.

Trekz
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
are you sure its the nut spining on the threads and not the whole balljoint?

Ceeker
08-14-2009, 09:06 PM
yes, thank you for checking. I looked at that to make sure. :-)

T.Dot_E30
08-14-2009, 09:54 PM
cut off tool or a sawzall.

I take it you've tried jacking it up on the balljoint and turning it out?

That and some heat might get it out even with slightly damaged threads, but you'll need to get an impact on there after hitting it with some heat.

Ceeker
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
yaknow, that is what I suspected. I'm just lazy.. I use hand tools because it's convenient. Looks like I got to break out my air tools and compressor. I thought about heat and impact gun..well tomorrow is another day. Thanks for the imput. :-)

InfiniteDice
08-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah use hand tools... and put a second jack under the balljoint itself...

Ceeker
08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah use hand tools... and put a second jack under the balljoint itself...

Yup, tried that already. I suspect their has to be down force on the control arm to tighten up the nut so that I can put some tension on the thread. I have a moster pry bar but difficult do use when one hand is holding it down and the other is on the ratchet... :-)

Axxe
08-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Impact FTMFW. Also, for sale section?

El Gato Liso
08-15-2009, 05:35 AM
ok

i just lowered my e30...and i had the exact issue with the ball joint(s) bolt spinning with the nut...here is how i solved it.

pull down the rubber boot, and tighten a vice grip (http://www.motor-factors.com/osc/eshop/images/00028.jpg) on to it, of course as tight as you can!!!

should hold tight to get the nut off, but wd40 that shit good, and try to avoid getting the wd onto the boot itself.

before u put the nut back on for good, put it on, tighten a little, and unscrew, tighten, unscrew, repeat all teh way through. it just works the nut on the bolt making it easier to put on.

EDIT: i misinterpreted what was initially stated...fail el gato, fail.

NickP
08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Just put a jack under the ball joint and put the weight of the car on it. The ball joint's tapered and will hold tight. You can then spin off the nut with a regular ratchet / wrench.

Ceeker
08-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Sorry, perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. The ball joint isn't spinning...The nut is spinning. Inner threads appear to be stripped on the nut side. I am thinking on using a prey bar to increase the tension on the nut and hopefully with a quick zap with the gun it will spin off.

any suggestions aside from this?

thanks.

E30M42cab
08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Get your air compressor out and cut the nut in half. Who knows, if the nut is stripped or the ball joint at this point. I had a problem with the ball joint actually stripping, nut the nut upon reassembly of my suspension last weekend. Run a tap and die over everything before reassembly.

Best thing to do is probably just to cut the nut with a cut off wheel.

Ceeker
08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
yup..looks like me is going to have to do that!!!! :-)

everlast
08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Why did you post this in for sale?