PDA

View Full Version : BMW z3 vs. Honda S2000


speeddemon65
03-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Now I know that many of you on this site may HaTe jap cars. Me I do, with some extreme exceptions of course. I watched the cheapest race ever last Sunday. One of the guys at the drag strip raced his Z3 against a freaking S2000. Now, that thing was just nasty right. But the guy in the Z3 beat him by very little and the guy in the Honda won't get off my friends back. He keeps putting down BMWs. Now I don't personally own a BMW yet, I like them very much. So I SMOKED the crap out of him with my mustang.

Slowered318
03-11-2003, 01:23 AM
HAHAHAH dumb S2000 owner

PS. you need torque to drag race s2000 has only like 160 ft/lb LOL

Jon@Bimmersport
03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
the s2k does it in 14sec, it's off from E36 m3 by a few miliseconds..or less! thats tru that the S2K has almost NO torque..but its fun once ur in the high RPM ..i had a ride in one,

way to smoke that jerkass owner! which Z3 was it? 2.8l right?

Slowered318
03-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Got any pics of your 65 ford? my uncle had a 289 too

Soldo
03-11-2003, 02:50 AM
while were on this topic, who would win a E36 325i or a 95 PRELUDE SR-V?!?!
this has been buggin me for a WHILE now cause my buddy has one and won't get off my back, i wanna race but he doesn't wanna hes just SURE that his car is quicker!!
and what about a TYPE R!!!
those jap crap cars are WAAAAAAAAAAY overrated!!
FWD is NOT A REAL SPORTS CAR!

mkgino
03-11-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
while were on this topic, who would win a E36 325i or a 95 PRELUDE SR-V?!?!
this has been buggin me for a WHILE now cause my buddy has one and won't get off my back, i wanna race but he doesn't wanna hes just SURE that his car is quicker!!
and what about a TYPE R!!!
those jap crap cars are WAAAAAAAAAAY overrated!!
FWD is NOT A REAL SPORTS CAR!

Type R will eat you, Prelude.....uhhh it would be very close.

-=[[f|L@pJ@cK=]
03-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
while were on this topic, who would win a E36 325i or a 95 PRELUDE SR-V?!?!

I have an E36 325is and have smoked my friends 95 prelude SRV on many occasions....its not that fast, i took it out for a boot and it wasnt as quick as you would think it would be.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-11-2003, 04:28 AM
dildomatic your 325 will rape it no problem, go for it!

but the type-r will eat u...is this the same guy whos paintin his girl's integra?

speeddemon65
03-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Guys, truth is that yes, some jap cars have potential but the list, in my case is narrowed down to three.

The Toyota Supra. Runs good, Good performer. but still isn't that formidable when racing major sports cars such as Ferraris(remember that Fast and the Furious, that Ferrrari would've eaten that supra for lunch).

The Skyline: Ho not much to say there, really good car, has measured itself against cars that rank in the world's fastest.

The 3000GT: man that thing is just nice, yet the only one that really kicks butt is the VR4 thanks to 320Hp and all wheel drive. The car is too heavy though.

Now, out of these three that are the best performers (for me at least) I would have to say there is not much to say about the rest, some perform good yes, but then again not every jerk that gets a honda and puts that darn tea pot under the hood, is going to beat cars of the caliber of BMW, FORD, CHEVROLET and many other major mnufacturers, I hate it when all those dumb kids come with their hondas and think that they can smoke cars that would kick their butt, even when they're not running at their best.

P.S the only reason that I smoked that dude in the S2000 it's because he kept making fun of my friends car and since, I don't like it when jerks brag about their pieces of sh*t almost beating a Bimmer or Ford (Specially Ford) I smoked him, just to show him how cheap his junk was.*uzi* *th-up*

sonic07
03-12-2003, 03:43 AM
i can't belief somebody actually would take her s2k for a race. exactly it's a lady's car. my friend just bought one for his wife just to go around the block shopping and got himself 2003 Z06.

chefd
03-13-2003, 03:47 AM
hate to say it but the SRV will beat you its an h22a they can put down 185hp whp, i ran my friends to a 15.2

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by chefd
hate to say it but the SRV will beat you its an h22a they can put down 185hp whp, i ran my friends to a 15.2

thats the same times wasabi and MP328 were getting...hmmm :confused:

what do u say MKGINO aka manwhore? haha

still gonna beat it by how many car lengths u said on msn?

BMW_M52_M20
03-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Those Type Rs are very quick, but I think the the Type S RSX is actually a little quicker then its earlier partner.

Preludes........Overrated.
Jay

mike125k
03-13-2003, 01:25 PM
my roommate has a 98 prelude 5sp. with CAI, cat back and free flow cat his best time at the track was 15.399 at like 90 something mph. so that should give you some kind of benchmark to go by.

tlaselva
03-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by speeddemon65
The Toyota Supra. Runs good, Good performer. but still isn't that formidable when racing major sports cars such as Ferraris(remember that Fast and the Furious, that Ferrrari would've eaten that supra for lunch).



Stock, yes.
A properly modded Supra IV TT, can be EXTREMELY FAST.
With stock internals, they are known to reliably produce 700+ HP.

Unless it's a F50 or Enzo, most Ferrari's would get smoked to a properly tuned Supra IV TT.

mkgino
03-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by chefd
hate to say it but the SRV will beat you its an h22a they can put down 185hp whp, i ran my friends to a 15.2

Dude, are you retarded?? 185 rwhp is 215 hp at the crank. Obviously his car is modded. So dont give me this BS. From 100 km/h - 200km/h I put 4-5 cars on a SH. I think a well driven 328 could take him in the 1/4 mile.



Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=120438

chefd
03-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Sorry i dont consider a CAI and exhaust a mod, but i know the preludes can run real quick.

chefd
03-13-2003, 03:32 PM
SH is different from srv
sh is a 2.3 non vtec
SRV is an 2.2 with vtec
sh produces 165 at the crank
SRV produces 200 at the crank

mkgino
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by chefd
Sorry i dont consider a CAI and exhaust a mod, but i know the preludes can run real quick.

Well then, if a performance CAI and exhaust werent mods, they would be options from the factory. Hondas Mod well, and higher times can be expected from just those two little things. Regardless, It isnt gonna beat a 328. If you ran a 15.2 in Nova Scotia at that track, in that weather , a 328 would have beat it at that track in that weather.

E46_Lover seems to like to do anything to win an argument, even compare 1/4 mile times in different parts of the world. Its funny, I could see an M3 running 15's in Colarado 3000 ft above sea level, and a Type R running low 14's in SoCali, and he would say the Type R is faster. Bitch grow up.

Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=120438

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Well then, if a performance CAI and exhaust werent mods, they would be options from the factory. Hondas Mod well, and higher times can be expected from just those two little things. Regardless, It isnt gonna beat a 328. If you ran a 15.2 in Nova Scotia at that track, in that weather , a 328 would have beat it at that track in that weather.

E46_Lover seems to like to do anything to win an argument, even compare 1/4 mile times in different parts of the world. Its funny, I could see an M3 running 15's in Colarado 3000 ft above sea level, and a Type R running low 14's in SoCali, and he would say the Type R is faster. Bitch grow up.

Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=120438

E46 EURO M3, what exhaust do they have that adds more HP? never heard of one...same with CAI.

John, bring your car to cayuga...im 100% sure i can prove u wrong, that your 328, is NOT a honda killer....you must admit, honda's are ****ing fast cars....and i know, and everyone else knows i like a bmw better. i only back them up because 1) i like real modded hondas, like on www.jdmcivic.com 2) because you are an overconfident and stuck up bmw owner

chefd
03-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Bmw are not fast in a straight line its a proven fact. You go mod for mod agaisnt a car with an h22a, and i bet you will lose.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by chefd
Bmw are not fast in a straight line its a proven fact. You go mod for mod agaisnt a car with an h22a, and i bet you will lose.

crx + h22a + 75shot = 12s or less if you know how to drive it right

chefd
03-13-2003, 04:39 PM
That car you just made up would run high 11s!!!!!

mkgino
03-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
E46 EURO M3, what exhaust do they have that adds more HP? never heard of one...same with CAI.

John, bring your car to cayuga...im 100% sure i can prove u wrong, that your 328, is NOT a honda killer....you must admit, honda's are ****ing fast cars....and i know, and everyone else knows i like a bmw better. i only back them up because 1) i like real modded hondas, like on www.jdmcivic.com 2) because you are an overconfident and stuck up bmw owner

your a fu*king idiot Jon, you know I am not a stuck up BMW owner. When I raced Dan in his RSX-S I knew I would lose and what happened? I lost, I never once bragged that I would beat him, before or after the race.

I take hondas for what they are worth. And there are no fast hondas period (except for the NSX). Honda is an economy car and it always will be. I consider something with over 300 hp and running 13's stock fast.

I also never said my 328 was a honda killer, dont put words in my mouth.

Remember, its not me in my 328 that will get better times than a prelude, it is an experienced driver that will get better times, than a prelude with an equal experienced driver. I have never been to the 1/4 mile track before, I expect to run a 15.5 or worse, and does that mean my car is slower than a prelude?? Maybe in your 15 year old diluted mind.

You think that Hondas are Gods gift to the 1/4 mile, but you are wrong. When you start to compare cars, start with stock numbers and in equal conditions.

BTW Jon, Just so you know, no matter what you do to a honda, no matter if you make it am M5 Killer, its still at the end of the day going to be a $5000 car and its still going to be a piece of shit.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
your a fu*king idiot Jon, you know I am not a stuck up BMW owner. When I raced Dan in his RSX-S I knew I would lose and what happened? I lost, I never once bragged that I would beat him, before or after the race.

I take hondas for what they are worth. And there are no fast hondas period (except for the NSX). Honda is an economy car and it always will be. I consider something with over 300 hp and running 13's stock fast.

I also never said my 328 was a honda killer, dont put words in my mouth.

Remember, its not me in my 328 that will get better times than a prelude, it is an experienced driver that will get better times, than a prelude with an equal experienced driver. I have never been to the 1/4 mile track before, I expect to run a 15.5 or worse, and does that mean my car is slower than a prelude?? Maybe in your 15 year old diluted mind.

You think that Hondas are Gods gift to the 1/4 mile, but you are wrong. When you start to compare cars, start with stock numbers and in equal conditions.

BTW Jon, Just so you know, no matter what you do to a honda, no matter if you make it am M5 Killer, its still at the end of the day going to be a $5000 car and its still going to be a piece of shit.

ok first off, stuck up bmw owner...how many hondas have u ridden in smart ass? you are SOOO close minded, if there are no fast hondas except the NSX, then that means your car is even slower because you lost to the RSX. moron

since you are always telling me you can beat that prelude any time, im holding you to it..if u beat that one, u can beat another?

i was talking with shotta about this 1/4mile shit earlier..first of all, look where we are moron...its ALL straight roads, where do we come up to krispy kreme from a winding road that has ups and downs, lefts and rights? moron. if we were in europe or asia, the honda would be left in the dust, unless its a type-s or type-r or a car thats modded...i never said honda would ever be better than BMW...even though it can run 8sec i would rather have the M5 for speed, luxury and looks.

you put words in my mouth all the time, i cant put any in yours? dont be a ****ing moron.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Dude, are you retarded?? 185 rwhp is 215 hp at the crank. Obviously his car is modded. So dont give me this BS. From 100 km/h - 200km/h I put 4-5 cars on a SH. I think a well driven 328 could take him in the 1/4 mile.



Bitch Please!http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=120438 \

uhh...200hp from the prelude, minus 20% friction loss is 180hp...you do the math, and your becoming a dentist?

EDIT: NOOOOOO i pressed the wrong keys..shit!

i meant to say 170..but its like 164 or something. right?

my point is....it was a typo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *sad*

mkgino
03-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
ok first off, stuck up bmw owner...how many hondas have u ridden in smart ass? you are SOOO close minded, if there are no fast hondas except the NSX, then that means your car is even slower because you lost to the RSX. moron

since you are always telling me you can beat that prelude any time, im holding you to it..if u beat that one, u can beat another?

i was talking with shotta about this 1/4mile shit earlier..first of all, look where we are moron...its ALL straight roads, where do we come up to krispy kreme from a winding road that has ups and downs, lefts and rights? moron. if we were in europe or asia, the honda would be left in the dust, unless its a type-s or type-r or a car thats modded...i never said honda would ever be better than BMW...even though it can run 8sec i would rather have the M5 for speed, luxury and looks.

you put words in my mouth all the time, i cant put any in yours? dont be a ****ing moron.

I do think my car is slow, like I said before I consider a NSX, E46 M3, M5 etc, fast because they can run 13's out of the box.

But my car IS faster than a prelude, not by much, but it is. So is Wasabi's and so is Thinair's (when they were stock that is). They ran faster times than the lude.

mkgino
03-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
\

uhh...200hp from the prelude, minus 20% friction loss is 180hp...you do the math, and your becoming a dentist?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAAHAHH

180whp X 1.20 = 216 crank HP


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA, go back and study for your grade 9 math class, I mean I know how challenging it can be

OMG, you are so f*cken stupid.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
I do think my car is slow, like I said before I consider a NSX, E46 M3, M5 etc, fast because they can run 13's out of the box.

But my car IS faster than a prelude, not by much, but it is. So is Wasabi's and so is Thinair's (when they were stock that is). They ran faster times than the lude.

wasabi ran the same times my friend did in his g/f's 2001 prelude...?

mkgino
03-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
wasabi ran the same times my friend did in his g/f's 2001 prelude...?

Has your friend been to the 1/4 mile track before? How can you compare? Maybe they are differently experienced drivers? Take a 328 to the track then a lude with the same driver, and lets see what is faster. Thats the only way you can tell.

Do you know anything about comparisons??? Honestly? You would compare anything, so it is in your favour. Do you know how to set up an experiment, so there are no other factors involved, to really compare two cars??

STFU bitch.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Has your friend been to the 1/4 mile track before? How can you compare? Maybe they are differently experienced drivers? Take a 328 to the track then a lude with the same driver, and lets see what is faster. Thats the only way you can tell.

Do you know anything about comparisons??? Honestly? You would compare anything, so it is in your favour. Do you know how to set up an experiment, so there are no other factors involved, to really compare two cars??

STFU bitch.

he hasnt been to a track..that was his first time...street racing is done all the time, the track not before that.

lets take ur car, he'll go again...after his 1st run he couldnt get enough

mkgino
03-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
he hasnt been to a track..that was his first time...street racing is done all the time, the track not before that.

lets take ur car, he'll go again...after his 1st run he couldnt get enough So he is an active street racer then huh, and he ran the same time as wasabi? Then he should run with a 328 and he would beat his lude's time, if he has has equal experience with both cars :moon:

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
So he is an active street racer then huh, and he ran the same time as wasabi? Then he should run with a 328 and he would beat his lude's time, if he has has equal experience with both cars :moon:

MP328 practices on his g-tech all the time, he ran same times, jus a lil better..the times are in his sig..

Harvey
03-13-2003, 07:39 PM
preludes are garbage!!! I eat them alive with both of my cars!!!

mkgino
03-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Ok, Rice_Lover, how about this:

mkgino 328is vs Prelude on a highway I won

SOLODOMATIC 325i vs Prelude, Soldo won

Bill Gates vs Prelude (his co-worker), Bill Gates won

-=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] 325is vs Prelude, -=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] won

That just gives you an idea. I still believe that the 328 is faster than the 200 hp lude stock vs. stock in the 1/4 mile. If I do ever take my car to Cayuga and run like a 15.7, it is because I have never been there/dont street race either, not because a lude is faster.

On the track?? Bye bye Mr. Lude*wave*

Someone PM, M328i and ask him, lets see what he says, I would like to hear his input.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Ok, Rice_Lover, how about this:

mkgino 328is vs Prelude on a highway I won

SOLODOMATIC 325i vs Prelude, Soldo won

Bill Gates vs Prelude (his co-worker), Bill Gates won

-=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] 325is vs Prelude, -=[[f|L@pJ@cK=] won

That just gives you an idea. I still believe that the 328 is faster than the 200 hp lude stock vs. stock in the 1/4 mile. If I do ever take my car to Cayuga and run like a 15.7, it is because I have never been there/dont street race either, not because a lude is faster.

On the track?? Bye bye Mr. Lude*wave*

Someone PM, M328i and ask him, lets see what he says, I would like to hear his input.

ok, let me get one thing straight...i want YOU to race them, even wasabi. i dont care...but im asking you, because your the one who is always giving excuses...why cant you get it through to you we arent comparing magazine times with F1 drivers driving them....im comparing real life times, times ppl on OUR board have ran, and times my friend ran in his girl's car. i dont wanna see u get someone else to race your 328 against my friend...you are saying "bye bye lude" on the track, when you havent been to one...speak for yourself, you never can admit that YOU will loose on a track, or race, its always "the good drivers" you compare with. all im saying is, when you are proving me wrong...speak for yourself, i would for myself, but unfortunately...until the shannonville run i wont have ANY experience on the track. track driving is about a driver, not a car...you can take me in an M5 and GR8 RIDE in my dads celebrity wagon, and he will win.

btw Harvey..come to the meet this saturday, and ill tell bmwm5lover to come..we'll show him what "jap crap" is all about

:D

mkgino
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
ok, let me get one thing straight...i want YOU to race them, even wasabi. i dont care...but im asking you, because your the one who is always giving excuses...why cant you get it through to you we arent comparing magazine times with F1 drivers driving them....im comparing real life times, times ppl on OUR board have ran, and times my friend ran in his girl's car. i dont wanna see u get someone else to race your 328 against my friend...

We have been arguing about weather a stock 328 is faster than a stock Prelude this whole time. Put someone in a 1988 VW GTI against me in the 1/4 mile and he will beat me. Thats because I can not race my car, plain and simple. I am trying to prove to you that the lude is not faster than a 328.

Weight is almost equal (100 pounds difference)
Gearing favours the 328
overall power output favours the 328 (hp more for lude but a lot more tq for the 328)

I dont see how it can be faster, sorry dude. Your magnificent VTEC aint gonna help you this time.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
We have been arguing about weather a stock 328 is faster than a stock Prelude this whole time. Put someone in a 1988 VW GTI against me in the 1/4 mile and he will beat me. Thats because I can not race my car, plain and simple. I am trying to prove to you that the lude is not faster than a 328.

Weight is almost equal (100 pounds difference)
Gearing favours the 328
overall power output favours the 328 (hp more for lude but a lot more tq for the 328)

I dont see how it can be faster, sorry dude. Your magnificent VTEC aint gonna help you this time.

look at the final drive too...the final drive on the prelude is MUCH higher, giving better accell...i was talking to wasabi about the 1/4mile thing...i explained to him (something thats impossible to do with u) why i think so, because he ran the same times as my friend!

VTEC cant help me now? wtf does that mean lol

mkgino
03-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
ok, let me get one thing straight...i want YOU to race them, even wasabi. i dont care...but im asking you, because your the one who is always giving excuses...why cant you get it through to you we arent comparing magazine times with F1 drivers driving them....im comparing real life times, times ppl on OUR board have ran, and times my friend ran in his girl's car. i dont wanna see u get someone else to race your 328 against my friend...you are saying "bye bye lude" on the track, when you havent been to one...speak for yourself, you never can admit that YOU will loose on a track, or race, its always "the good drivers" you compare with. all im saying is, when you are proving me wrong...speak for yourself, i would for myself, but unfortunately...until the shannonville run i wont have ANY experience on the track. track driving is about a driver, not a car...you can take me in an M5 and GR8 RIDE in my dads celebrity wagon, and he will win.


Speak for yourself????? HELLOOOOOOOO????? ARE YOU RETARDED?????? YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A LICENCE YOU DIP SH*T, WHAT EXPERIENCE ARE YOU SPEAKING FROM???????????????


OMG, I cant believe this. I honestly can not believe why I am wasting my time arguing with you. Dear lord. Now I know why everyone at max has learned to ignore you, rather than argue with you all the time. You never stop. Now I know how Autotechnica feels, poor guy, he has been putting up with you from the beginning.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by mkgino
Speak for yourself????? HELLOOOOOOOO????? ARE YOU RETARDED?????? YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A LICENCE YOU DIP SH*T, WHAT EXPERIENCE ARE YOU SPEAKING FROM???????????????


OMG, I cant believe this. I honestly can not believe why I am wasting my time arguing with you. Dear lord. Now I know why everyone at max has learned to ignore you, rather than argue with you all the time. You never stop. Now I know how Autotechnica feels, poor guy, he has been putting up with you from the beginning.

i never said i raced anyone have i?

SickFinga
03-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Jon Honda sucks and you know it.
Lets see
328i v s Prelude
BMW got, more dorrs, more room, driveshaft, full spare tire, leather interior, more features that all honda all together, 2 more cylinders, bigger brakes, full spare tire.
And still bmw is just 100lbs heavier and it is a bit faster. so which car is better???

330DTM
03-16-2003, 03:51 AM
My turn...
Okay look, from the times I've seen from MP328, Wasibi from Cayuga, their times seemed pretty dead close with the Prelude.
My friend, just a daily driver, not a street racer did it in 15.1 (fastest) and other times at 15.3-4 (stock 5th gen lude and that was his first time at the dragstrip); I got it on my camcorder if you want proof. He went again to St. Thomas a couple months later and got 15.3-4s again. Now from what I see the 328s are pretty much dead even w/the lude on the 1/4 mile. BUT you guys can't just take 1/4 mile times into account only.

You should LOOK at the trap speed also. Given the Lude and BMW, for example, have the same 1/4mile times, but say the 328i has a higher trapspeed, then from my understanding if both cars were to continue to race after the 1/4 mile, the 328 would pull away from the Lude.

Another variable is your 60ft time. If you have a crappy 60ft time, that will definitely affect your overall 1/4 mile result. So if your launch is horrible you'll get a crappy time. If you can achieve 2.0-2.2 secs for your 60ft time, that's pretty good. Off-topic, but you got to love Quattro launches, my buddy had a 60ft time of 1.9 seconds on a worn out stock clutch back then.

My point is, overall if you go from 0-200km/h+ I'd say the 328 will win it no doubt.

330DTM
03-16-2003, 04:08 AM
Again off-topic but some of you guys shouldn't make fun of Civics too much. I met up with this guy over the winter w/Autotechnica and Kenny and we saw with our own eyes, a Civic SIR w/stock manifolds and stock exhaust. He has a CAI, winter tires, drop springs and bottom end built up along with a Standalone system. His car looks like a stock looking civic from the exterior w/not interior stripped. Even on the freeway run w/my A4 buddy and this guy w/a mid '90s CAmry auto V6 SUPRA Turbo conversion, I was surprised how well the Civic pulled from the start, thinking that it'd suck on freeway runs and its lack of torque. FYI, my buddies A4 is quicker than stock E36 M3s, just to give you guys a reference point. At times the Civic pulled away from my A4 friend who had an extra passenger. This consisted of several 2nd or 3rd gear rolling starts all the way up to 5th gear. The civic pulled maybe half to a one/one and a half car length away from the A4, but when both of them started, my A4 friend had the slight edge. However, the other time when my A4 buddy (this time w/no passenger riding along) raced the civic, he beated him. I forgot by how much but seems like absence of a passenger made a difference for him. No NOS was invovled!

Yes I know you guys are probably thinking, "Well that's a mildly modded Civic SIR" but I'm just showing you guys it still has potential and it's not the average so called "RICER" civics you see these days, misrepresented by many enthusists who are good at making them sound loud but no go.

I'm taking things into the PERSPECTIVE of straight line racing so don't go on bashing me about the differences on "Oh Track Circuit at Mosport, Shannonville, Auto-x, blah blah blah, handling."

bart320i
03-16-2003, 01:24 PM
I've driven both Prelude SH and 328is. I must say that the lude is a step below the 328is in every aspect. Build quality, engine, feel, torque, seats ect, ect. In other words these two cars shouldn't be compared cause a 328is is on another level than the lude. I'm sure the lude can be tuned to eat the 328 in the 1/4 but thats not what BMW's are built for. P.S. Honda motors sound like shit at WOT compared to BMW motors

GR8 Ride
03-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
look at the final drive too...the final drive on the prelude is MUCH higher, giving better accell...i was talking to wasabi about the 1/4mile thing...i explained to him (something thats impossible to do with u) why i think so, because he ran the same times as my friend!

VTEC cant help me now? wtf does that mean lol

Jon,

You need to learn something about differentials, and what effect they have on acceleration.

With a short differential, you're not changing the torque output of the engine at all, merely changing the momentum arm of the torque relationship (ie, making it longer) at the rear wheels.

Think of it this way. When you pedal a bicycle, keep it in one gear (say 1st). You're eventually going to get to the point where you're pedalling as fast as you can, and the bike just won't go any faster. Therefore, you switch gears, and start accelerating again. However, you're not accelerating as hard in 2nd gear as you do in first gear.

What you're effectively doing is trading the ability to accelerate the car for speed.

The problem lies with this; with a shorter rear differential, you're going to reach redline sooner (assuming identical transmission ratios, which is another factor altogether). So, while the 'Lude shifts because it's hit redline (and begins to accelerate, though not as quickly in second gear as in first), the 328 is still accelerating in first gear, and effectively has a shorter overall drive ratio now.

As speeds begin to pick up, the 'Lude accelerates less and less each time it shifts.

So the 'Lude is using a shorter drive ratio to compensate for the lack of engine torque it has in relation to the 328is, and as each gear is used, this relationship becomes closer and closer. In the end, the BMW has greater torque available to it, and given relatively equivalent final drive ratios (using both tranny AND diff ratios), the BMW can accelerate faster.


Pat

Jon@Bimmersport
03-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM
Again off-topic but some of you guys shouldn't make fun of Civics too much. I met up with this guy over the winter w/Autotechnica and Kenny and we saw with our own eyes, a Civic SIR w/stock manifolds and stock exhaust. He has a CAI, winter tires, drop springs and bottom end built up along with a Standalone system. His car looks like a stock looking civic from the exterior w/not interior stripped. Even on the freeway run w/my A4 buddy and this guy w/a mid '90s CAmry auto V6 SUPRA Turbo conversion, I was surprised how well the Civic pulled from the start, thinking that it'd suck on freeway runs and its lack of torque. FYI, my buddies A4 is quicker than stock E36 M3s, just to give you guys a reference point. At times the Civic pulled away from my A4 friend who had an extra passenger. This consisted of several 2nd or 3rd gear rolling starts all the way up to 5th gear. The civic pulled maybe half to a one/one and a half car length away from the A4, but when both of them started, my A4 friend had the slight edge. However, the other time when my A4 buddy (this time w/no passenger riding along) raced the civic, he beated him. I forgot by how much but seems like absence of a passenger made a difference for him. No NOS was invovled!

Yes I know you guys are probably thinking, "Well that's a mildly modded Civic SIR" but I'm just showing you guys it still has potential and it's not the average so called "RICER" civics you see these days, misrepresented by many enthusists who are good at making them sound loud but no go.

I'm taking things into the PERSPECTIVE of straight line racing so don't go on bashing me about the differences on "Oh Track Circuit at Mosport, Shannonville, Auto-x, blah blah blah, handling."

finally someone has said it beside me...everyone looks at a civic, and calls it a rice car..like WTF! douche bags...this guy at my school (owns rated R), i make fun of them all the time..but this guy in a STOCK 4.6L GT mustang came by to pick up his g/f from my school, and called this guy a ricer cuz he has a type-r..and was saying "hey u ****ing ricer, eat this" and he reved his engine..and called his car a rice cooker (lol thats funny though)...so he lost to the type-r (fully modded internally..around 250hp NA to the wheels) this car isnt a street car...so that explains the HP..anyways, it just shows that the majority of drivers out there DONT know what rice is...apparently when you say "jap car" they think of HONDA! i know they are common, but i mean.,..open your damn eyes..i hate riced out cars, and when people who DONT know me..call me a ricer cuz i like hondas, like **** off! im not talking about you guys, cuz i know you guys are joking (well most), but i was on DTMpower on my friends account, and i said something about my friend's type-r...how some guy said he beat it in his 318 (which lead me to being banned)....and he called me a ricer, like wtf!

thanks for clearing that up pat..i knew some of it, but not in detail...but i mean look at what 328DTM said,...mike post those videos up...

this guy would have beaten wasabi and MP328 (NO OFFENSE GUYS!!!!!!!), that 15.1 run is really impressive...so guys, remember i said 15sec, and it was IMPOSSIBLE? im not saying a 328 cant be faster...some guy on another bmw forum (i forgot) said he ran a 14.9...i am not sure if its true...but i only started this whole thing to prove to mkgino that preludes, 1/4MILE ONLY..can tie with the 328, only a really good driver at 1/4mile would be doing such low times in the 328.

bart 320i: theres no doubt the BMW build quality is better, and power is more than the SH..but we never brought up the SH...the non SH is 100 or so LBS lighter

pAnTeRa_318i
04-05-2003, 02:54 PM
318's are slow, but almost every civic si I have ever raced, i've beaten by at least a car length b4 getting to 100km/h. It is the people who drive civic si's and put all that powered by honda shit and their ghetto body kits that r called ricers. And in the end, engine wise, they haven't done anything to their cars. Obviously, those people get smoked and make honda look like shit. Otherwise, the NSX, S2000, Type R are all amazing cars. So RESPECT to Honda.

BTW, someone said the S2000 is a woman's car. Well that's what they say about all small convertibles such as the SLK230, Z3, Miata, etc etc. But in fact, I am almost certain that it takes a lot of skill to drive an S2000 well. The fact that it has low torque makes it a hard car to drive fast becuase u have to stay at high RPM's to take advantage of the one thing it does have, HP. I once read that if u start an S2000 at 2000rpm and floor it, it takes around 10s to reach 100km/h. I dunno if this is exactly true. However, if you start at 6000 rpm u can reach 100km/h in around 6s. At 6000rpm u would prolly skid, so u would have to know ur gas petal and clutch pretty well. After 160km/h S2000's r not prolly much faster than a 328i. Anyways, the point i want to make is that S2000's r fun cars to drive quickly through the city cuz they r small and nibble. You gotta be skilled to really take advantage of an S2000's performance.

pAnTeRa_318i
04-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Here's a nice S2000.

Mikester
04-05-2003, 06:37 PM
-

330DTM
04-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pAnTeRa_318i
It is the people who drive civic si's and put all that powered by honda shit and their ghetto body kits that r called ricers. And in the end, engine wise, they haven't done anything to their cars. Obviously, those people get smoked and make honda look like shit.

But have you ever noticied that SOME who do not slap on stickers or "ghetto" body kits as mentioned by your last post have fast (powerwise) Civics? I personally do as I've seen a couple owners driving them and they've impressed me.