PDA

View Full Version : very very very newbie question...

moogles
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
how important is an amplifier?

i know what subs and amps do... but i was wondering if its a waste just to get subs and no amp?

VSanj
07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
r u serious? the subs will truly be a waste without a amp. you need power to drive those bad boys. that is were the amplifier comes in.

Steve@ASPTuning
07-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Umm without an amp there's no thump or power at all... Save some $$$ and get an awesome amp with atleast 500watts 4 ohms and dual channel. Atleast giving our 250 per channel or more is better!

tominizer
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
^ sorry, but that's absolutely crappy information to give someone........... as it's wrong.*thmbsdwn*

If you're going to put a sub in your car, you definitely need an amplifier. Subwoofers require decent power to make them function properly and head units definitely are not up to snuf for this task. However, the subwoofer and amplifier should match up power wise to keep you out of trouble (at the same load). If you buy a 500 watt amp and a sub that only handles 200 watts maximum, you will likely blow the sub and possibly damage the amp.

What you want to do is find a sub that you like and look at it's power handling capabililties in watts (RMS), not peak and load (4 ohms, 2 ohms, etc). Then find an amp that matches that power output in watts (RMS) and load rating. For example, take a 10" sub with a single voice coil, 4 ohm load load that handles 200 watts RMS. You want to find an amp that puts out that sort of power RMS into a 4 ohm load. Then you are all set. Over powering by a little bit is usually fine as well.

Anyways, I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, just drop me a PM.

moogles
07-29-2009, 03:06 AM
thanks tom!
i sent you a pm...

Porter86
07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
i don't think it couldve been any simpler. let me know if u want help installing it!

R1C3RCKT
07-31-2009, 02:22 AM
^ sorry, but that's absolutely crappy information to give someone........... as it's wrong.*thmbsdwn*

If you're going to put a sub in your car, you definitely need an amplifier. Subwoofers require decent power to make them function properly and head units definitely are not up to snuf for this task. However, the subwoofer and amplifier should match up power wise to keep you out of trouble (at the same load). If you buy a 500 watt amp and a sub that only handles 200 watts maximum, you will likely blow the sub and possibly damage the amp.

What you want to do is find a sub that you like and look at it's power handling capabililties in watts (RMS), not peak and load (4 ohms, 2 ohms, etc). Then find an amp that matches that power output in watts (RMS) and load rating. For example, take a 10" sub with a single voice coil, 4 ohm load load that handles 200 watts RMS. You want to find an amp that puts out that sort of power RMS into a 4 ohm load. Then you are all set. Over powering by a little bit is usually fine as well.

Anyways, I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, just drop me a PM.

well said.
it also helps if you know how much you want to spend, and what kind of music you listen to most of the time to determine that size sub you want. 8 inch(relatively rare) hits really fast and can pretty much keep up with any thing you throw at it, but because of its smaller area, can't move as much air, thus may not be as loud. 10s are my choice as i find 12s a lil on the sloppy side for faster beats.

moogles
07-31-2009, 02:28 AM
i got 10" subs with box... and now i got

Harman and Kardon stock BMW amps
and HK speakers...

i just dont know how to put them all in now... haha