PDA

View Full Version : Vanos work at RMP

propr'one
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I've had the 1519 "Vanos mechanically jamming" code on my car for about 2 years now. It took a long time for to figure out what was wrong, but ultimately Rocco fixed it, and the car runs considerably better. The vanos not working is a relatively subtle change from how the car normally runs, but it is very noticable. At low RPM's (particularly idle) there was noticably less power, and the vanos unit made a lot of noise.

The solution was purchasing the besian seals replacement kit:
http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

(around 30$)

The installation is somewhat involved, and can take a few hours. Rocco did mine for 225$, as everything came apart quite easily. The price on a dual vanos system would likely be more. I took the opportunity to change the valve cover gasket while it was being repaired, as this did not involve any additional labour.

The car now has noticably more power, and im guessing i'll be getting at least 100 more KM a tank.

Thanks!

doogee
07-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Did the code go away?

Mine didn't...maybe because bimmersport did it? lol ****...

tig
07-22-2009, 02:00 AM
ya what he said^^ did the code go away? cuz mine was done to and still have the code, apperantly its cuz i have s52 cams

propr'one
07-22-2009, 03:55 AM
Its still throwing the code, but i haven't driven it enough to say anything conclusively. The hesitation at idle has been getting progressively better, it could be that the new seals are wearing themselves in. How much have you guys driven your cars since you had the seals installed?

tig
07-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I ordered the rebuilt vanos from DR Vanos which is basically the same shit anyway, the hesitation does definatly get better after a while, you are apperantly supposed to give it about 500km before everything is perfect,
i have driven over 1000km already still get the code, gonna try to get it figured out this week

doogee
07-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Its still throwing the code, but i haven't driven it enough to say anything conclusively. The hesitation at idle has been getting progressively better, it could be that the new seals are wearing themselves in. How much have you guys driven your cars since you had the seals installed?

Probably about 4-5k