PDA

View Full Version : rear diff problem...

craigIS
07-07-2009, 04:48 PM
well i just bought my car last wek, and i just started haveing trouble with the rear differential. i hear this knocking sound sometimes when i shift, and sometimes in gear randomly. when im driving donw the road in gear, the diff will knock, and throw the car to the the side.

i looked at the car before i bought it, and didnt notice anything such as leaking diff fluid. so i looked under the car yesterday when this started to happen, and where i parked the car, there is a small puddle of diff fluid on the ground.

is there any quick fix for this? or, am i effed, and need a new diff.

also if i wanted to put some fluid into the diff, how would i do that?

thanks in advance.

BigD
07-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Something is either badly broken (beyond fluid changes) or you have a flat tire (kidding).

Jack up the rear with the wheels off the ground and rotate them. See/feel what happens, and report your findings.

craigIS
07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
actually, i dont think its the diff any more.....i believe it to be the CV axel....the leak is right on the joint, and further inspecting under the car, the leak is on the the same side as where the noise is coming from.

craigIS
07-07-2009, 10:12 PM
well, my car just stopped driving, it just sounds like loud ass grinding kinda. it does it in every gear, just does not move.

actually i can put it into reverse it it will reverse half ass.

im still wondering what the issue could be, CV axel, or the diff.....

BigD
07-07-2009, 11:08 PM
It's a blown halfshaft.

Eurostyle
07-07-2009, 11:45 PM
It's a blown halfshaft.

+1 on that, from the description of the problem, all signs point to that!

craigIS
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
It's a blown halfshaft.

is there any way i can tell whether its the halfshaft? will it not move?

Eurostyle
07-08-2009, 12:33 AM
^^^http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122384

Aloush
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Your Guibo is probably gone.