PDA

View Full Version : What IAT should be with After Cooler

Blown M3
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I am runing an RMS supercharged set up (12 PSI) with an After Cooler and I was wondering if anyone knows what my (IAT`s) Intake Air Tempture should be on a day where the outside temp is 20`C outside.

Bullet Ride
07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Under what scenario? WOT? Cruising? It also depends on how efficient your IC is at removing heat. While under boost (ie a 1-2-3 pull) I would guess that your air temp shouldn't increase more than 20 degrees over the ambient temperature. So on a 20 degree day your IAT shouldn't be more than 40 degrees. Obviously the longer you are in boost the hotter the air will get, but how often is anyone in boost for more than 5 or 6 seconds:rolleyes:

everlast
07-06-2009, 02:15 PM
^ Truth.

If I do a hard 1-2-3 pull at 10 PSI, I see about a 10 degree C rise in temp above ambient, and it takes about 15 seconds to get back to near-ambient. The sharpness of the rise begins to drop off at about 100kph as the intercooler begins to get significant high pressure air.

I heard from Bear you're getting some crazy MATs, but I would expect that for a few reasons on your setup. If you're running a different pulley for more boost, you may be exceeding the efficiency range of the compressor, and the small air-to-water cooler may not be as efficient as you need it to be.

You might want to look into a cheap, larger cooler from fleabay. Since you already have all the plumbing, etc, you might just need some modified intake tubing and you're off.

SweetnessGT
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
IAT's with boost are an interesting thing, and as stated controlling them is 100% up to the efficiency of the core/cooler you are using.

On a non intercooled M45 Eaton setup on a J-body (Quad 4) I've seen the temps start out at 80 degrees on a 5 degree day and shoot up to a clean 140 degrees of IAT... that's insane! Meth can usually keep that down in the 80 degree range.

On my turbo setup I can keep the temps within 20 degrees over ambient, up to about 15 psi of boost. Then it starts creeping up (on the way to 21 psi) due to the efficiency of the cooler. To offset this I could install a CRYO2 kit or meth.

Heat compounds when boost is created, it's an unfortunate by product of kinetic energy... compression creates heat. @ 10-12 psi with a good cooler you should see 10-20 degrees over ambient. If you REALLY want to chill the air, a CYRY02 kit pre-aftercooler would bring your temps down well below ambient.

The beautiful thing about aftercoolers is there are plenty of ways to bring down the temps. On a straight manifold setup, you're at the mercy of a weak plate between the charger and manifold which really can't be anywhere near as efficient.

-Chris-