PDA

View Full Version : Double Din dvd/cd player in e46

Porter86
07-03-2009, 01:34 AM
how many of you have put a double din dvd/cd player head unit in your e46?

all i have in mine right now is the business cd player and my air and heat control. i guess were the third one goes i just have cubbie option. what im wondering is if anyone has moved the ac n heat controls down to this spot right above the ashtray and put a double din head unit in, and how much did it cost for the mounting bracket.

thanks!

Steve@ASPTuning
07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Do you mean the cost for the double din insert? because I believe the double din kit you can buy off ebay for like $150 ~ 220.00 comes with everything needed. And basically you relocate your climate controls down to the cubby. I hope I answered your question(s)?

Steve
ASPTuning

Porter86
07-05-2009, 01:32 PM
yeah pretty much thanks steve. i was also wondering if anyone has done it, and if it was hard relocating it or what. lol.

Steve@ASPTuning
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
No the relocation is really simple, you just basically move the climate control down to where the cubby was. I'd just be very careful of taking off your trim though make sure you don't crack it and scratch it. Yeah its going to be tight below where your controls are going. Just overall go slow, and be careful so you don't wreck anything.

Steve
ASPTuning

Porter86
07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
sweet, thanks steve...appreciate the info!! *th-up*

dbworld4k
07-06-2009, 01:04 AM
You have to cut your AC vent thingy behind the climate control to accommodate the larger double DIN. Look on E46fanatics, it's been done plenty of times.

Young Gun
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
^ he is correct.

FIrst off to relocate the AC controls you can get teh relocation kit from BMW or ebay.

To install a double din headunit, you would need to Cut the air vents behind the deck to make more room and to modify the bracket. It is not HARD to do but it is time consuming to do it right and neat.

Personally I dont want to hack the vents so I will use a fold out screen instead.

Porter86
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
wow seriously have to cut the vents, i don't think im gunna get a double din. al though i would like to still move the ac done n move the deck down to the old control spot, if possible, so i can have use of my vents n my monitor,lol.

Halerma
11-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I installed a BMW <a href="http://www.espow.com/wholesale-7inch-car-dvd-radio-gps-navigation-ipod-tv-for- bmw-e46-1995-2006.html
">E46 DVD</a> in my 2005 one, the funciton and performance are good enough, and GPS, rearview funciton are very convenient for driving, GPS has voice guidance to lead the way for me, I removed my previous radio for installing the E46 DVD. As My E46 also has built in radio. As far as I know, most of the car DVD players have built in radio.

slemmer
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I did an OEM nav retrofit on mine and it was straight forward. No issues on fit if you go OEM and no vents to cut.

Halerma
11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I installed a BMW <a href="http://www.espow.com/wholesale-7inch-car-dvd-radio-gps-navigation-ipod-tv-for-bmw-e46-1995-2006.html">E46 DVD</a> in my 2005 one, the funciton and performance are good enough, and GPS, rearview funciton are very convenient for driving, GPS has voice guidance to lead the way for me, I removed my previous radio for installing the E46 DVD. As My E46 also has built in radio. As far as I know, most of the car DVD players have built in radio.

;);)