PDA

View Full Version : Spacers for the back wheels

eta Epsilon
06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I am thinking of using 12mm spacers on the 2 back wheels to give a bit more stance to the car.
Anybody did it only for the rear wheels?

What are the pro and the con?
I guess I will have to use longer bolts.

Thanks for the comments.

everlast
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
When I added 12mm spacers to the rear only, it significantly increased oversteer on cornering. I lost quite a bit of balance. I am still rollin' that way, but if I was to track the car they'd come off for sure.

eta Epsilon
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
^^ Oversteer is fun!
I don't plan on running at the track anytime soon. It's purely a visual thing.
Do you think it would affect the bearings life?

Thanks

InfiniteDice
06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I've heard bearings are affected by this, it multiplies the force on them. I can't say how much for sure.

everlast
06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
That depends on the wheel width, etc. Obviously, if you have skinny rubber and stick them way out, the bearing will see some funny loads, but I've never heard of a failure or even ppl complaining about wear, so.. Go for it. :)

matty.dc
07-01-2009, 09:28 AM
you dont have to worry at all about bearing failure especially with only 12mm

echo
07-01-2009, 08:43 PM
It all depends on the width and offset of your wheels. I'm a tad shocked that you're all giving the guy advice without first confirming what rims and tyres he's running?

If you do do it, yes, you'll need longer bolts. Also, you want to make sure your spacers are hub centric with hub centric spindles for the bore of the rim to fit onto.

What size, width and offset wheels are you running, and with what size tyres?

everlast
07-02-2009, 06:29 PM
OP's takes some responsibility obviously. 8mm or less are never hubcentric, and I run 12mm non hubcentric thanks to the rims and spacers both using the same hub centering ring.

I've already seen his wheels on here and they'll work out.

matty.dc
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E30&subcat_id=93 here's some h&r's that are hubcentric from 5mm.

everlast
07-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Technically, yes, those are, but when most people refer to hubcentric spacers, they mean ones that compile both to the hub and to the inner portion of the wheel.

It doesn't really matter if the spacer is perfectly centered; using the wheel tool will ensure that. But when I say hubcentric, I refer to hubcentric and borecentric, in which the spacer has a portion sticking out the same size as the hub to mount the wheel on.

Any cheap 8mm spacer will work just fine.

Hubcentric:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/wheels/wheels_H&R_spacers_lg.jpg

Not Hubcentric:
http://www.paragonautomotive.com/images/wheelSpacer/wheelSpacer_r2_c3.gif

The reason you don't see 8mm or less with the hub extrusion is simple: there is nothing for the extrusion to attach to since the hub is in the way. Once you get a spacer over the depth of the hub (about 10mm) the extrusion can be present.

eta Epsilon
07-03-2009, 11:08 AM
^ good info.

My wheels are not supported by the hub anyways...so I guess anything would work

everlast
07-03-2009, 11:19 AM
You should really get some hubcentric rings then. I'd be surprised if you don't get shaking / shimmying at highway speeds without them.

eta Epsilon
07-03-2009, 11:39 AM
I have some shaking at highway speed, but nothing too dramatic.
I'll see if I can get hubcentric spacers.

matty.dc
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
youre absolutely right they arent dual hubcentric up until 12 or 15mm i believe and you definitely need that both for proper wheel placement and it also distrubtes the load off of the studs.

everlast
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
If your rims already don't match the hub size, hubcentric spacers won't either.

You'll need centering rings. Any wheel place can get them and they about $4 a piece. No reason not to.

Then, the hubcentric spacers would be worth it.

everlast
07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
AFAIK the studs and hub don't carry the load, they only provide clamping force. The friction of the wheel to the hub is what keeps the rim in place. The hub centering rings are sometimes plastic and never deform, so I believe that to be true.

matty.dc
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
i would have to say yes it does hold it to a certain point but i dont think it fully holds it. You have to remember the surfaces of the two are relatively smooth so theres not a lot there that would hold.

everlast
07-03-2009, 02:07 PM
The clamping force provides all the friction needed to hold the rim in place.

eta Epsilon
08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Back from the deads...

I got the rings installed on lunch time. I will go try them on the highway on my way home.

And I think I maybe have found someone to fabricate my wheel spacers...

everlast
08-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Let us know if you find a cheap source of hub/wheel centric spacers. I tried some VW ones out but they didn't work. (They have a 45 degree bevel on the hub I didn't know about. :()

eta Epsilon
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I will see. One guy I know used to work with a cnc machine. I just sent him an email to see if he would be interested to fabricate some for me. I'll let you know